Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Masters

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Masters Empty The Masters 4/10/2016, 3:18 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Slowest play and the wind has created highest scores. But the course is picture perfect.

2The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/10/2016, 3:27 pm

Should be a great and close finish. The course is absolutely gorgeous... like usual.

3The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/10/2016, 6:41 pm

Dayum... what a crazy back nine. My boy spieth imploded... but pulled it back together with three to play. I could see the look in his eye on the 12th... he was thinking ahead and lost his concentration. It can be so hard to stay in the moment.

4The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/10/2016, 7:02 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Tough game.

5The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/10/2016, 7:46 pm

It really is. Golf escalates the pressure and exposes weaknesses very well. It's a terrible feeling when it's all slipping away.

I was playing the #1 player from the navy team long ago. He had beaten me a few weeks prior on clay... which favored his game. This time was on hard court which favored my serve and volley game. I was up 6-0, 5-0 in about thirty minutes... which was a little fluky because he was very good. Well... I though to myself... this is going great I'm going to double bagel him. Lol... two hours later I beat him in a third set tie breaker. Those let downs can kill you.

6The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/10/2016, 8:17 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:It really is. Golf escalates the pressure and exposes weaknesses very well. It's a terrible  feeling when it's all slipping away.

I was playing the #1 player from the navy team long ago. He had beaten me a few weeks prior on clay... which favored his game. This time was on hard court which favored my serve and volley game. I was up 6-0, 5-0 in about thirty minutes... which was a little fluky because he was very good. Well... I though to myself... this is going great I'm going to double bagel him. Lol... two hours later I beat him in a third set tie breaker. Those let downs can kill you.

I know. It takes a strong mental competitive edge.

I am for competitive competition for athletes. Life is competitive it prepares our youth.Play to win.

7The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/10/2016, 9:22 pm

PkrBum wrote:Dayum... what a crazy back nine. My boy spieth imploded... but pulled it back together with three to play. I could see the look in his eye on the 12th... he was thinking ahead and lost his concentration. It can be so hard to stay in the moment.

I recently learned that Augusta calls it the first and second nine instead of front and back.  Supposedly to prevent the possibility of folks calling it the front side and back side.  

8The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/10/2016, 9:27 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Like the gallery....it has to be referred to as the patrons.

9The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/10/2016, 9:39 pm

knothead

knothead

One of the least exciting Masters in memory . . . . . everyone choked but the course was awesome as always . . . .

10The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/11/2016, 12:53 pm

Markle

Markle

I've played four holes of golf in my life...except for miniature golf. So I'm not exactly a golf aficionado. Maybe I'm just too much of an adrenalin junkie.

I did excel at another sport where I made a lot of money in my youth so I know the feeling of an inexplicable meltdown too.

No one has mentioned the Ernie Ellis, is that right? Who had a three foot, SIX PUTT first hole for a nine on the first hole. I saw a video of that and honestly my heart went out to him.

I do love the photo on this site where he is staring at the putter as if the putter did it itself.

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/tour/us-masters/augusta-blog/ernie-els-takes-six-masters-89787

11The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/11/2016, 2:13 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

It can be brutal.

12The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/11/2016, 9:28 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:It can be brutal.
I started playing golf as a young teenager and played it all my life until about 3 or 4 years ago. 
Whereas most people get better at it over time,  I got worse at it.  And then when I hit 70 balls in the water at Tiger Point and ran out of balls on the 17th hole,  I had gotten so bad that it was time to quit.  lol

The most remarkable thing about Spieth's meltdown was that one shot where he took such a large divot that he looked like a duffer.  The divot went farther than the ball.  Been there and done that (probably a thousand times).  lol

13The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/11/2016, 9:32 pm

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
I started playing golf as a young teenager and played it all my life until about 3 or 4 years ago. 
Whereas most people get better at it over time,  I got worse at it.  And then when I hit 70 balls in the water at Tiger Point and ran out of balls on the 17th hole,  I had gotten so bad that it was time to quit.  lol

The most remarkable thing about Spieth's meltdown was that one shot where he took such a large divot that he looked like a duffer.  The divot went farther than the ball.  Been there and done that (probably a thousand times).  lol

It was too expensive for me as a kid and I never caught the bug when I could afford to play. I think I was too impatient and I also have an addictive personality. If I started, I would HAVE to be very good, which you point out, could be impossible and that would drive me nuts...and probably broke.

14The Masters Empty Re: The Masters 4/11/2016, 9:41 pm

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:

I don't understand his meltdown either. Usually you find when someone gets over that first hump, he'd won the Master's before, the nerves aren't a problem after that point.

As a teen and young adult, I made a lot of money bowling. I was on all the adult scratch leagues and scratch traveling leagues, averaging around 210. Never did have a 300 game. Once I'd won the money, I tended to slack off.

The last night of one of the traveling leagues, we were 2 games out of first. We had to either win two games and total pins or all three games which made it automatic. I rolled a 300 the first game and then 5 more strikes going into the second and the other team just blew up. After that, it wasn't a big deal. Of course I didn't roll a lot of them but they were no longer "impossible".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum