Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baseball------I am hoping for the White Sox/Nationals, but Showalter and Baltimore would work

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

This is going to be a great end of the season. There are real pennant races, and plenty of excitement. The White Sox have just opened the door for Detroit, and with only 12 games to go.....a half game is not enough.

the tigers are losing today... the damn defense has killed momentum all season... i'm not conceding yet... but today hurts.

2seaoat

When I was in Chicago two weeks ago for my shots, I went to a Tiger/White Sox game, and when I was a kid I loved the Sox, but my second favorite team in the American League was Detroit.....Al Kaline and crew.

I think either Detroit or Chicago could win the whole thing, and I really hope to see a triple crown winner.....even if it is Detroit. The Sox bullpen is suspect, but they have 10 batters that can hit and good starting pitching.

it would be fun to see either team make a strong run starting now... but i'm afraid the fun ends in Texas.

Just like last year.

2seaoat

I know it will not be the Yanks.....the Sox dominated them late in the season.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:This is going to be a great end of the season. There are real pennant races, and plenty of excitement. The White Sox have just opened the door for Detroit, and with only 12 games to go.....a half game is not enough.

Not the Cubs I guess...maybe next year!

2seaoat

Not the Cubs I guess...maybe next year!

They had a team in 1969......the rest of them have been pretenders, but in the end if you get a full stadium without a winner, why pay to get quality players.

The Sox lose tonight......Detroit loses a doubleheader.....they gain a halfgame.......life is good.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Not the Cubs I guess...maybe next year!

They had a team in 1969......the rest of them have been pretenders, but in the end if you get a full stadium without a winner, why pay to get quality players.

The Sox lose tonight......Detroit loses a doubleheader.....they gain a halfgame.......life is good.

When I was five or six my Mom took me to a Cubs game. My Ol' Man had lost his left leg in the Battle of the Bulge and couldn't walk very far.

I remember riding the subway to get to the stadium. The "Wrigley Field" sign looked gigantic. We went in under all the stands where it was dark and dank and then up some stairs and WOW, it was nothing like I'd ever seen. The sun was so bright, the grass so incredibly green and I was sure it went for miles. The red clay was so perfect it look artificial.

I don't know who was playing...other than the Cubs, But I was there with my Mom and this magnificent spectacle. How could I NOT be a di-hard Cubs Fan?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:

When I was five or six my Mom took me to a Cubs game. My Ol' Man had lost his left leg in the Battle of the Bulge and couldn't walk very far.

I remember riding the subway to get to the stadium. The "Wrigley Field" sign looked gigantic. We went in under all the stands where it was dark and dank and then up some stairs and WOW, it was nothing like I'd ever seen. The sun was so bright, the grass so incredibly green and I was sure it went for miles. The red clay was so perfect it look artificial.

I don't know who was playing...other than the Cubs, But I was there with my Mom and this magnificent spectacle. How could I NOT be a di-hard Cubs Fan?
You missed your calling. It's not politics, it's posts like this one. That's maybe the best 200 words about the national pastime I've ever read.

2seaoat

It is the essence of what makes a family and a fan. Cub fans are diehards, and it is like an Auburn fan.....it is passed down in families like an inheritance. This core value of children sharing with their parents has made baseball the national past time. It is why maritime was always a no brainer with so many knowledgeable baseball people within 50 miles of Pensacola.

My son in law took his three year old to a game and they spent a half hour with the team mascot and so it goes..........White sox win....tigers win.....excitement.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm pulling for Washington? Why? Only because I hadn't been to a major league baseball game since I watched the Braves play in Atlanta about 35 years ago. And then earlier this year I watched the Nationals play in DC and it was one helluva lot of fun to be at that game. Mainly since they're actually on top this year and the stadium was packed and we got there on the metrorail riding alongside a bunch of die-hard fans.

2seaoat

If you took the metro and went to a national's game you have had your finger on the pulse of America......Maritime Park was never a fluke. In a growing tension between modern secular America, the role of sports traditions fills a void of historic proportions, where the zeal which often was the components of dissent and destruction, now has a Auburn fan reluctantly admitting that the tide has a good football team.

If you took the metro and went to a national's game you have had your finger on the pulse of America......Maritime Park was never a fluke. In a growing tension between modern secular America, the role of sports traditions fills a void of historic proportions, where the zeal which often was the components of dissent and destruction, now has a Auburn fan reluctantly admitting that the tide has a good football team.[i]

Holy Hell!! Now it is sports that binds America together? A void of historic proportions? No wonder America is in the shape we are....... People will watch and do anything. Remember the Pensacola Fair has more attendance in 10 days than the Wahoos in 70 days.

2seaoat

You simply do not get it........some people cannot read, but are intelligent....some people can be gifted in some areas and totally deficient. You will never understand why people enjoy sports.....I get it, but do not confuse your inability to understand with the realities of America. They voted with their feet and almost had a sell out at every game. Kids attended and the cycle continues.......you can Huff and Puff, but sports are here to stay......and it is big business in America......always has been, so your nostalgic look at Pensacola's past has always been selective....because you fail to recognize the historic role of baseball. It simply is something you do not enjoy......but just because I do not get American Idol.....does not take away popularity.

Sal

Sal

My boy wrote this for a public speaking competition. He was 10 at the time, and he won the regional with it.

I played baseball through high school and truly loved it. I became disillusioned and lost interest in it after the '94 strike. My son brought back my love for the game.

He's 14 now and is still playing, and I'm still coaching.

"Crack! That’s the sound of a baseball being hit by a baseball bat, sometimes all the way out of the park. I love that sound. Baseball is the greatest sport in the whole world, and I’m here to tell you why.

Baseball is a blast and it’s good for you. It uses all parts of the body. The arms are used to throw the ball and swing the bat. The legs are used to run the bases. Hands are used to catch the ball, and you better have good eyes or you might catch one upside your skull. And everybody can play - short and big, or tall and skinny. In football you need to be huge and in basketball you need to be tall. There’s a place for everybody in baseball, because baseball truly is a team sport.

Baseball is exciting until the very end of the game. There’s no clock in baseball, so until the ninth inning is over, every team has a chance to win. In football, a team will take a knee to kill the clock. In basketball, teams will dribble and pass the game away. But, baseball forces the winning team to continue to pitch and play defense. Which means until the final out is made, a comeback is just one big hit away.

Baseball is challenging. The batter has less than half of a second from the time the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand to decide whether to swing or not. And, hitting a round object with a rounded piece of wood is incredibly difficult. Missing the sweet spot on the bat by less than 1/8 of an inch is the difference between a lazy popup and a home run.

Baseball is the thinking person’s game. There are hundreds of different situations, and they’re all unique. “Runners on first and second, one out, where’s the play!!” “Runner on third, one out, watch out for the suicide squeeze!!” “Bases loaded, one out, infield in!!” If you want to play baseball, you better be ready to think.

Baseball is the most beautiful sport. The blazing sun, the blue sky, the green grass, the perfectly raked clay, the white chalk lines, it all goes together great. There’s nothing better on a summer’s day. Have you ever noticed that football, basketball, and soccer are all played on rectangles? Kind of boring if you ask me. Baseball is played on a diamond, and every outfield is a little different.

So that’s why baseball is my favorite sport, and why it’s America’s pastime. If you’ve never played before or watched a game, give it a try. I think you’ll like it a lot.

(pause)

And, I didn’t even mention the peanuts and hotdogs."

2seaoat

You should be proud....he nailed it.

Maybe 1/5 of my sons trophies, Baseball/golf Between Ivan and when my place flooded this is all that is left except what he has. I understand the game. But it is just that. a game.........
[img]Baseball------I am hoping for the White Sox/Nationals, but Showalter and Baltimore would work Vmubrq[/img]

great news tiger fans... dertoit was down 4-1 but came back to win 5-4 thanks to dirks breaking up a double play. good old fashion baseball.

chisox are down by 2 in the 8th... tigers will be up by a game w 7 left to play if it holds.

2seaoat

OUCH! santa

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

salinsky wrote:My boy wrote this for a public speaking competition. He was 10 at the time, and he won the regional with it.

I played baseball through high school and truly loved it. I became disillusioned and lost interest in it after the '94 strike. My son brought back my love for the game.

He's 14 now and is still playing, and I'm still coaching.

"Crack! That’s the sound of a baseball being hit by a baseball bat, sometimes all the way out of the park. I love that sound. Baseball is the greatest sport in the whole world, and I’m here to tell you why.

Baseball is a blast and it’s good for you. It uses all parts of the body. The arms are used to throw the ball and swing the bat. The legs are used to run the bases. Hands are used to catch the ball, and you better have good eyes or you might catch one upside your skull. And everybody can play - short and big, or tall and skinny. In football you need to be huge and in basketball you need to be tall. There’s a place for everybody in baseball, because baseball truly is a team sport.

Baseball is exciting until the very end of the game. There’s no clock in baseball, so until the ninth inning is over, every team has a chance to win. In football, a team will take a knee to kill the clock. In basketball, teams will dribble and pass the game away. But, baseball forces the winning team to continue to pitch and play defense. Which means until the final out is made, a comeback is just one big hit away.

Baseball is challenging. The batter has less than half of a second from the time the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand to decide whether to swing or not. And, hitting a round object with a rounded piece of wood is incredibly difficult. Missing the sweet spot on the bat by less than 1/8 of an inch is the difference between a lazy popup and a home run.

Baseball is the thinking person’s game. There are hundreds of different situations, and they’re all unique. “Runners on first and second, one out, where’s the play!!” “Runner on third, one out, watch out for the suicide squeeze!!” “Bases loaded, one out, infield in!!” If you want to play baseball, you better be ready to think.

Baseball is the most beautiful sport. The blazing sun, the blue sky, the green grass, the perfectly raked clay, the white chalk lines, it all goes together great. There’s nothing better on a summer’s day. Have you ever noticed that football, basketball, and soccer are all played on rectangles? Kind of boring if you ask me. Baseball is played on a diamond, and every outfield is a little different.

So that’s why baseball is my favorite sport, and why it’s America’s pastime. If you’ve never played before or watched a game, give it a try. I think you’ll like it a lot.

(pause)

And, I didn’t even mention the peanuts and hotdogs."

Very nice!

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:

You missed your calling. It's not politics, it's posts like this one. That's maybe the best 200 words about the national pastime I've ever read.

Darn...I hope I haven't totally trashed my reputation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum