Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Update on the GREAT SOLAR epic fail of all time. March 29, 2016

+2
2seaoat
Markle
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

WORLD'S LARGEST BIRD FRYER MAY BE SHUT DOWN.   The GREAT SOLAR epic fail of all time.

Responsible for burning alive thousands of birds, the great Ivanpah Solar Plant may shut down...losing BILLIONS of tax payer dollars.

Ivanpah Solar Plant May be Forced to Shut Down

By CASSANDRA SWEET

A federally backed, $2.2 billion solar project in the California desert isn’t producing the electricity it is contractually required to deliver to PG&E Corp., which says the solar plant may be forced to shut down if it doesn’t receive a break Thursday from state regulators.

The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System, owned by BrightSource Energy Inc., NRG Energy Inc. and Alphabet Inc.’s Google, uses more than 170,000 mirrors mounted to the ground to reflect sunlight to 450-foot-high towers topped by boilers that heat up to create steam, which in turn is used to generate electricity.

But the unconventional solar-thermal project, financed with $1.5 billion in federal loans, has riled environmentalists by killing thousands of birds, many of which are burned to death—and has so far failed to produce the expected power.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ivanpah-solar-plant-may-be-forced-to-shut-down-1458170858

California’s one remaining nuclear power plant, Diablo Canyon, produces more electricity than all of California’s solar power installations combined. Naturally environmentalists are trying to shut it down.

Markle

Markle

Here’s the story so far, Ivanpah:

Is owned by Google, NRG Energy, and Brightsource, who have a market cap in excess of $500 billion

Received $1.6 billion in loan guarantees from the Department of Energy

Is paid four to five times as much per megawatt-hour as natural-gas powered plants

Is paid two to three times as much per megawatt-hour as other solar power producers

Has burned thousands of birds to death

Has delayed loan repayments

Is seeking over $500 million in grants to help pay off the guaranteed loans

Burns natural gas for 4.5 hours each morning to get its mojo going

Brightsource, which is privately held, is owned by a virtual who’s who of those that don’t need subsidies from taxpayers and ratepayers.

In spite of all this, Ivanpah has fallen woefully short of its production targets. The managers’ explanation for why production came up 32 percent below expected output was the weather. In addition to raising questions about planning for uncertainty, it is not all that clear how a nine percent drop in sunshine causes a 32 percent drop in production.

More bizarrely, the natural gas used to get the plant all warmed up and ready each day, would be enough to generate over one quarter of the power actually produced from the solar energy. Sorry, let’s not be haters.

The problem for Ivanpah’s customers (California power utilities) is that they planned on all those solar watt-hours to meet California’s renewable power mandates, which require that renewables produce a large and rising fraction of California’s electricity. That is why they pay so much more for Ivanpah’s output than for conventionally powered electricity.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/03/29/taxpayers-are-footing-bill-for-solar-project-that-doesnt-work/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thffacebook

For all our solar worshipers. Yeah, this is a much better alternative to coal and natural gas.

2seaoat

Solar and wind are working all over the country. Sorry, your Koch brother propaganda will not slow down wind and solar.........wind power is growing by leaps and bounds in Illinois.....and in gas and oil country Texas......off the chart growth in wind.......all good, but the poor Koch brothers.......

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Solar and wind are working all over the country.  Sorry, your Koch brother propaganda will not slow down wind and solar.........wind power is growing by leaps and bounds in Illinois.....and in gas and oil country Texas......off the chart growth in wind.......all good, but the poor Koch brothers.......

You were a great foil but you've gone a bit overboard.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I drove I-15 from Vegas to LA last year.  Not far past the CA border I started seeing this weird thing to my right.  When I was closest to it there was an exit and I pulled off and drove as close to one of the towers as I could get.
I thought it was probably a solar collector but didn't know until reading this thread. 
I remember the top of it was as bright as the sun.  I'm glad I didn't turn out like the birds.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

This is most likely the project that my BIL worked on...the bird problem was solved almost immediately, but not before opponents seized on it and "grossly exaggerated" it in the media.

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/04/16/one-weird-trick-prevents-bird-deaths-solar-towers/

knothead

knothead

It is called progress as in Progressive . . . .

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:It is called progress as in Progressive . . . .

Progressive = Failure

The system is an outrageously priced boondoggle of epic proportions.

Progressives, instead of addressing the major failures of the system...wish to address the thousands of bird killings.

Typical...so typical!

Markle wrote:

Progressive = Failure

Progressives, instead of addressing the major failures of the system...wish to address the thousands of bird killings.

Typical...so typical!

When did conservatives such as yourself give a darn for a dead bird? Let a progressive speak of endangered anything and conservatives go ballistic. How do you continually celebrate failure?

Conservatives condemn and blame and then rejoice in failure. Who does that help??

knothead

knothead

SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

Progressive = Failure

Typical...so typical!

When did conservatives such as yourself give a darn for a dead bird?  Let a progressive speak of endangered anything and conservatives go ballistic.  How do you continually celebrate failure?

Conservatives condemn and blame and then rejoice in failure.  Who does that help??

Great question . . .

It would be nice to think it helped people whose logic follows shutting down a water reservoir in california because of a guppy... or closing pastures in nevada because of mouse... or limiting the size of a soda in nyc because of fatties.

But your point is well taken... it's a complete waste of time.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

SheWrites wrote: How do you continually celebrate failure?

Conservatives condemn and blame and then rejoice in failure.  Who does that help??

Poster Markle does seem to revel in misery for political purposes. It is a sick person who wants bad things to happen so their chosen political figures might be elected to office. He has been on a tear lately, creating threads focused on utter negativity; but he never seems to say what his favored politicians will actually do to rectify the alleged ‘failures’.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Solar power will one day become the prime method of generating electricity. This will happen during the 21st century, in spite of poster Markle’s propaganda about it. By the time the transition is fully made, Markle will have long before become daisy fertilizer.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Solar power will one day become the prime method of generating electricity. This will happen during the 21st century, in spite of poster Markle’s propaganda about it. By the time the transition is fully made, Markle will have long before become daisy fertilizer.

At least fifty years. Why we're wasting billions of dollars on a proven failure is a mystery to me. Other than the same old Progressive wish that results are irrelevant, immaterial and unimportant. All that counts is that they FEEL GOOD, you know that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you think you've done something noble.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum