Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIP Harper Lee

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1RIP Harper Lee Empty RIP Harper Lee 2/20/2016, 10:59 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

From my inbox:

Harper Lee died today.

Her brilliant portrayal of one man’s stand against racial injustice in the Deep South helped inspire me, and many others, to become a civil rights lawyer.

And her depiction of a great evil in America moved millions of others to fight for justice at a crucial time in our nation’s history.

One of my most cherished possessions is an autographed copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. This was her generous inscription:
Morris,

You will be remembered as the one who spoke when good men remained silent, and the one who acted when good men did nothing – you changed our lives.

Harper Lee
My colleagues and I have done our best to live up to her expectations. But we all owe a great debt to Ms. Lee.

I think she would agree that, today, there is still so much more work to be done. We must continue to search within ourselves for the courage to stand strong in the face of bigotry and injustice.

Thank you for standing with us, and please remember Ms. Lee in your thoughts.
Sincerely,

Morris Dees
Founder, Southern Poverty Law Center

2RIP Harper Lee Empty Re: RIP Harper Lee 2/24/2016, 1:55 pm

2seaoat

She had a huge impact on my life.

3RIP Harper Lee Empty Re: RIP Harper Lee 2/24/2016, 2:01 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:She had a huge impact on my life.

Mine, too, Seaoat. She pulled off the scab, so to speak.

4RIP Harper Lee Empty Re: RIP Harper Lee 2/24/2016, 2:04 pm

2seaoat

I saw my loved ones in Alabama filled with so much hate, and I saw a path to sanity. It set my life's goal. Justice is not easy. It is hard and it takes incredible courage to make change.

5RIP Harper Lee Empty Re: RIP Harper Lee 2/24/2016, 2:45 pm

Sal

Sal

When I was in third or fourth grade we were taken on a field trip to see Mockingbird in an old 1940s era single screen movie house called the Vogue theater.

The movie changed the way I viewed race relations in this country, and the trip had the added benefit of igniting a love affair with that old movie theater.

In my teenage years, I graduated to smoking doobies in the parking lot before going in to watch midnight showings of Rocky Horror, Pink Floyd's the Wall, and Dawn of the Dead.

Later, when the theater was having trouble making ends meet, they started hosting rock concerts occasionally.

I had the pleasure of seeing Iggy Pop perform one of the more raucous and disturbing concerts I've ever seen.

The place eventually was bought by developers and turned into some sort of upscale shopping venue.

Sacrilege.

RIP Harper Lee and RIP the Vogue Theater.

RIP Harper Lee 11vogue

6RIP Harper Lee Empty Re: RIP Harper Lee 2/24/2016, 3:16 pm

I loved the compassion and reality of Scout. Many say Ms. Lee wrote of herself in Scout. But then I saw this cartoon from Bloom County and changed my mind.

RIP Harper Lee Boo10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum