Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Republican-Leaning Cities Are At Greater Risk Of Job Automation

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republican-leaning-cities-are-at-greater-risk-of-job-automation/

Well who would have guessed?

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republican-leaning-cities-are-at-greater-risk-of-job-automation/

Well who would have guessed?

So you prefer in a city like Detroit, St. Louis, New Orleans, Washington D.C., Chicago or other collapsing, cities instead of a prosperous, growing city.

Why would you want to do that to your family?

Detroit playground!

Republican-Leaning Cities Are At Greater Risk Of Job Automation Packard-plant-detroit-photos-i17

boards of FL

boards of FL

The irony lies in the fact that it will be the batshit crazy republicans who will ultimately end up on the receiving end of the liberal policy benefits when their jobs are automated.  Imagine how awkward that will be for online political discourse.  Even today, red states are objectively proven to be greater receivers of federal benefits than blue states. Point being, blue states are already subsidizing red states as it is.  But just wait until this automation wave begins to spread through those red cities.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:The irony lies in the fact that it will be the batshit crazy republicans who will ultimately end up on the receiving end of the liberal policy benefits when their jobs are automated.  Imagine how awkward that will be for online political discourse.  Even today, red states are objectively proven to be greater receivers of federal benefits than blue states. Point being, blue states are already subsidizing red states as it is.  But just wait until this automation wave begins to spread through those red cities.

Still playing with a few fries short of a happy meal I see.

Millions of jobs left Michigan because of their closed shop laws and unions. The unions, as you well know, fought bringing more automation and robots to the assembly lines in Michigan. Management complied until imported cars began to be of superior construction and lower prices.

Automation is already common in the red states where more and more auto manufacturers are moving.

How much automation do you think there will be in the $2.5 BILLION Ford is building in Mexico? How big a plant do you think $2.5 BILLION will build in Mexico? They've already built, or are finishing, a plant in Mexico to build their engines.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:The irony lies in the fact that it will be the batshit crazy republicans who will ultimately end up on the receiving end of the liberal policy benefits when their jobs are automated.  Imagine how awkward that will be for online political discourse.  Even today, red states are objectively proven to be greater receivers of federal benefits than blue states. Point being, blue states are already subsidizing red states as it is.  But just wait until this automation wave begins to spread through those red cities.

Millions of jobs left Michigan because of their closed shop laws and unions.  The unions, as you well know, fought bringing more automation and robots to the assembly lines in Michigan.  Management complied until imported cars began to be of superior construction and lower prices.

Automation is already common in the red states where more and more auto manufacturers are moving.

How much automation do you think there will be in the $2.5 BILLION Ford is building in Mexico?  How big a plant do you think $2.5 BILLION will build in Mexico?  They've already built, or are finishing, a plant in Mexico to build their engines.

I'm actually surprised that your line of work wasn't automated at least a decade ago. Trust me when I say that realtors are the travel agents of the very very near future.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

Millions of jobs left Michigan because of their closed shop laws and unions.  The unions, as you well know, fought bringing more automation and robots to the assembly lines in Michigan.  Management complied until imported cars began to be of superior construction and lower prices.

How much automation do you think there will be in the $2.5 BILLION Ford is building in Mexico?  How big a plant do you think $2.5 BILLION will build in Mexico?  They've already built, or are finishing, a plant in Mexico to build their engines.

I'm actually surprised that your line of work wasn't automated at least a decade ago.  Trust me when I say that realtors [Realtors] are the travel agents of the very very near future.

If that was going to happen, it would have already.

There is a solid reason why it has not and will not happen.

Real estate is unlike that of travel agents or stock brokers. Our market is not and cannot be centralized. As the cliche' in real estate says, location, location, location.

Two houses, two warehouses, two office buildings, side by side can and often do have very different values.

Zillow, one of the largest national real estate information providers has been proven to give hugely wrong valuation results. It isn't something that can be done with a "formula".

Back in the early 90's all the talk was that the listing agent would be a thing of the past. I primarily work as a listing agent, I love working with sellers. The reasoning was that owners would have access to the information necessary to properly market their own property.

Instead, what happened is that there is SO much information AND misinformation available most seller's are overwhelmed. They need a Realtor to sort it all out. Plus, many people do not want to deal directly with the buyer nor do they know all the disclosures now required.

When I started in real estate, 100 years ago, we had a single page, front and back, legal size contract. The back had no blanks and contained all the various requirements for a real estate contract. Today, the contract in Tallahassee is 15, letter size, one side pages. PLUS, a 7 page Seller's Disclosure form must be added as an addendum. If it is a condominium, there is another addendum required. If it is contingent on the sale of another property, yep, another addendum. Built before 1978, a brochure and another addendum.

Then there is a five-page form required when the buyer makes his loan application. In certain areas, coastal restrictions apply and if it is in a low lying or flood zone, flood insurance is required. In Florida, if a hurricane is "in the box" you can't get insurance anywhere in Florida until it is out of the box.

And the list goes on, and on, and on.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

I'm actually surprised that your line of work wasn't automated at least a decade ago.  Trust me when I say that realtors [Realtors] are the travel agents of the very very near future.

Real estate is unlike that of travel agents or stock brokers.  Our market is not and cannot be centralized.  As the cliche' in real estate says, location, location, location.

Two houses, two warehouses, two office buildings, side by side can and often do have very different values.

Zillow, one of the largest national real estate information providers has been proven to give hugely wrong valuation results.  It isn't something that can be done with a "formula".

Back in the early 90's all the talk was that the listing agent would be a thing of the past.  I primarily work as a listing agent, I love working with sellers.  The reasoning was that owners would have access to the information necessary to properly market their own property.

Instead, what happened is that there is SO much information AND misinformation available most seller's are overwhelmed.  They need a Realtor to sort it all out.  Plus, many people do not want to deal directly with the buyer nor do they know all the disclosures now required.

When I started in real estate, 100 years ago, we had a single page, front and back, legal size contract.  The back had no blanks and contained all the various requirements for a real estate contract.  Today, the contract in Tallahassee is 15, letter size, one side pages.  PLUS, a 7 page Seller's Disclosure form must be added as an addendum.  If it is a condominium, there is another addendum required.  If it is contingent on the sale of another property, yep, another addendum.  Built before 1978, a brochure and another addendum.

Then there is a five-page form required when the buyer makes his loan application.  In certain areas, coastal restrictions apply and if it is in a low lying or flood zone, flood insurance is required.  In Florida, if a hurricane is "in the box" you can't get insurance anywhere in Florida until it is out of the box.

The list actually hasn't even began.  You didn't list anything there that would be an obstacle to automation.  Not one thing.

Tell me one part of your job that can't be done - today - with software.  What part of your job requires some type of expertise that a fairly basic program could not handle?

I would actually argue that real estate purchasing will be much much better and will deliver much more value once your profession is automated.  I'll add a disclaimer which states that I have only ever been personally involved in three real estate sales/purchases.  That said, in each of those the realtor actually hindered - not helped, but hindered - the sale.  Had I or the seller/buyer been able to simply communicate directly via email or through some website structure, we could have spent considerably less time on the sale and could have saved a lot of money.  The realtors involved added absolutely $0 in value to any of those transactions.  None.  Zip.  Ziltch.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

Real estate is unlike that of travel agents or stock brokers.  Our market is not and cannot be centralized.  As the cliche' in real estate says, location, location, location.

Zillow, one of the largest national real estate information providers has been proven to give hugely wrong valuation results.  It isn't something that can be done with a "formula".

Back in the early 90's all the talk was that the listing agent would be a thing of the past.  I primarily work as a listing agent, I love working with sellers.  The reasoning was that owners would have access to the information necessary to properly market their own property.

Instead, what happened is that there is SO much information AND misinformation available most seller's are overwhelmed.  They need a Realtor to sort it all out.  Plus, many people do not want to deal directly with the buyer nor do they know all the disclosures now required.

When I started in real estate, 100 years ago, we had a single page, front and back, legal size contract.  The back had no blanks and contained all the various requirements for a real estate contract.  Today, the contract in Tallahassee is 15, letter size, one side pages.  PLUS, a 7 page Seller's Disclosure form must be added as an addendum.  If it is a condominium, there is another addendum required.  If it is contingent on the sale of another property, yep, another addendum.  Built before 1978, a brochure and another addendum.

Then there is a five-page form required when the buyer makes his loan application.  In certain areas, coastal restrictions apply and if it is in a low lying or flood zone, flood insurance is required.  In Florida, if a hurricane is "in the box" you can't get insurance anywhere in Florida until it is out of the box.

Mr. Markle, what is the customary % fee in Florida or is it is floating negotiable issue?

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:The irony lies in the fact that it will be the batshit crazy republicans who will ultimately end up on the receiving end of the liberal policy benefits when their jobs are automated. Imagine how awkward that will be for online political discourse. Even today, red states are objectively proven to be greater receivers of federal benefits than blue states. Point being, blue states are already subsidizing red states as it is. But just wait until this automation wave begins to spread through those red cities.

Millions of jobs left Michigan because of their closed shop laws and unions. The unions, as you well know, fought bringing more automation and robots to the assembly lines in Michigan. Management complied until imported cars began to be of superior construction and lower prices.

How much automation do you think there will be in the $2.5 BILLION Ford is building in Mexico? How big a plant do you think $2.5 BILLION will build in Mexico? They've already built or are finishing, a plant in Mexico to build their engines.

I'm actually surprised that your line of work wasn't automated at least a decade ago. Trust me when I say that realtors [Realtors] are the travel agents of the very very near future.

Real estate is unlike that of travel agents or stock brokers. Our market is not and cannot be centralized. As the cliche' in real estate says, location, location, location.

Zillow, one of the largest national real estate information providers has been proven to give hugely wrong valuation results. It isn't something that can be done with a "formula".

Back in the early 90's all the talk was that the listing agent would be a thing of the past. I primarily work as a listing agent, I love working with sellers. The reasoning was that owners would have access to the information necessary to properly market their own property.

Instead, what happened is that there is SO much information AND misinformation available most seller's are overwhelmed. They need a Realtor to sort it all out. Plus, many people do not want to deal directly with the buyer nor do they know all the disclosures now required.

When I started in real estate, 100 years ago, we had a single page, front, and back, legal size contract. The back had no blanks and contained all the various requirements for a real estate contract. Today, the contract in Tallahassee is 15, letter size, one side pages. PLUS, a 7 page Seller's Disclosure form must be added as an addendum. If it is a condominium, there is another addendum required. If it is contingent on the sale of another property, yep, another addendum. Built before 1978, a brochure and another addendum.

Then there is a five-page form required when the buyer makes his loan application. In certain areas, coastal restrictions apply and if it is in a low lying or flood zone, flood insurance is required. In Florida, if a hurricane is "in the box" you can't get insurance anywhere in Florida until it is out of the box.

The list actually hasn't even began. You didn't list anything there that would be an obstacle to automation. Not one thing.

Tell me one part of your job that can't be done - today - with software. What part of your job requires some type of expertise that a fairly basic program could not handle?

I would actually argue that real estate purchasing will be much much better and will deliver much more value once your profession is automated. I'll add a disclaimer which states that I have only ever been personally involved in three real estate sales/purchases. That said, in each of those the realtor actually hindered - not helped, but hindered - the sale. Had I or the seller/buyer been able to simply communicate directly via email or through some website structure, we could have spent considerably less time on the sale and could have saved a lot of money. The realtors [Realtors] involved added absolutely $0 in value to any of those transactions. None. Zip. Ziltch.

Hasn't happened in 20 years. Perhaps in another 20 years but I believe there will always be a place for good Realtors. Many buyers and sellers do not want to deal directly with the other party. One of the sayings in the profession is that Realtors bring buyers and sellers together by keeping them apart.

Sure, there will always be For Sale By Owner's (FSBO's). For some, it is perfect for them. For most, it is not.

I did list things that are unique to the real estate industry and why it has not been computerized. Obviously, you are incapable of recognizing them. That seems to be your problem.

Real estate is heterogeneous by its very definition. No software program has yet been able to make adjustments for different areas much less similar houses side by side.

Since the crash, there also seems to have been a huge influx of con artists into the industry.

It is not a business for everyone. About 80% of the people who get into the field, drop out in fewer than three years. It is hard work, it takes a tremendous amount of training and a VERY understanding family. Most people cannot live with the uncertainty and roller coaster income. I LOVE the work and everything about it. I have taught all the classes necessary to get a license, taught for our local board, the state association, and national association. It enabled me to travel extensively, I was on all our speaker bureaus and be in front of thousands of people.

No doubt in my mind that you could not cut it.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:
Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

Mr. Markle, what is the customary % fee in Florida or is it is floating negotiable issue?

No "customary" commission. All are negotiable.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

From my own history, it's evident that 90% of so-called Real Estate Agents do all they can to boost the price of the homes they are trying to sell -- much to the chagrin of those people who are doing the shopping. Trust a real estate agent? You've got to be kidding!!.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:I did list things that are unique to the real estate industry and why it has not been computerized.  Obviously, you are incapable of recognizing them.  That seems to be your problem.

Or, those things seem so complex to you that you simply can't fathom how simple they would be to automate.

Not sure why we would want to put the real estate industry out of jobs for people - but - I can see how the real estate sales process could be handled by computer just like H&R Block does online taxes.

Shocked May it never be.

No need to take jobs from many to make money for a few.

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:Not sure why we would want to put the real estate industry out of jobs for people - but - I can see how the real estate sales process could be handled by computer just like H&R Block does online taxes.  

Shocked May it never be.

50 years from now people will look back on today and say "How on earth did they live that way? What a miserable existence! Human beings were only valued for labor."

Job automation isn't a bad thing.

boards of FL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Not sure why we would want to put the real estate industry out of jobs for people - but - I can see how the real estate sales process could be handled by computer just like H&R Block does online taxes.  

Shocked May it never be.

50 years from now people will look back on today and say "How on earth did they live that way?  What a miserable existence!  Human beings were only valued for labor."

But what to do about the unemployment it will bring? Where will new jobs for PEOPLE come from, Boards? What a Face

Sal

Sal

SheWrites wrote:

But what to do about the unemployment it will bring?  Where will new jobs for PEOPLE come from, Boards?  What a Face

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Shocked May it never be.

50 years from now people will look back on today and say "How on earth did they live that way?  What a miserable existence!  Human beings were only valued for labor."

But what to do about the unemployment it will bring?  Where will new jobs for PEOPLE come from, Boards?  What a Face

We will see jobs shift away from manual labor and professional services and towards more creative areas like entertainment or non profit work.  We may at some point end up having to implement some sort of guaranteed income or something to that effect as well.  Once automation,  AI, and 3D printing take over, it is very likely that capitalism will break down and will be replaced by some new model.  This is almost inevitable, and we are right on the brink of this change. Many are calling for this to be a more significant change to society than the industrial revolution.

This is a long interview but it addresses all questions related to how our economy will evolve in world of AI and automation.  Highly recommended.  

Sal

Sal

I listened to a program on NPR a few weeks ago regarding automation and robotics, and the conversation turned to the inevitable decrease in demand for labor.

As is the case with most of these type programs, they had a more liberal minded guest countered by a more conservative minded guest.

I was a bit startled that the disagreement regarding the implementation of a basic income system centered not on if such a transition would take place, but when such a transition would take place.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:I did list things that are unique to the real estate industry and why it has not been computerized.  Obviously, you are incapable of recognizing them.  That seems to be your problem.

Or, those things seem so complex to you that you simply can't fathom how simple they would be to automate.

If it is so simple, and would save so many people so much money, why has no one done it in 20 years and are not now billionaires?

It's time to start the depopulation process. Perhaps a societal contribution means test. Get busy comrades.

I've said I think we will see the major changes and then our children/grandchildren will hopefully benefit from the continued great technological changes.

The more we stay the same the more we decay. I hope we will see a turn to older ways (farming co-ops, small businesses, local alternatives) but with energized technology advances.

Some will bemoan an end while others have a forward thinking excitement for the "new fangled ways."

And, may I say, it will bring a survival of the fittest.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum