Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Window 10 updates

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Window 10 updates Empty Window 10 updates 1/8/2016, 1:27 pm

2seaoat

I mistakenly shut my computer off this morning and rebooted thinking it had snagged and apparently it was doing an update. That laptop now has been unavailable for three hours. I am seriously fed up with Microsoft. When they no longer supported my frontpage software where I was managing three business websites and gave no alternatives but to buy new products and learn that software, they have lost me as a loyal customer. I think windows 10 is a trojan horse to lock us into their products. I think the xp platform and their software at that time should have allowed other independent companies to support their products after they released their support. Could you imagine buying an auto and after five years you could not go to an independent car repair place to maintain your system........you had to get the car repaired at the new car dealer. I really think we need some folks with technology knowledge in Congress which is not bending over to these large companies which are basically fraudulent in their licensing agreements. We limit patents, we need to limit license agreements which clearly allow third parties to maintain products after they remove their support for the same. I could have lived the rest of my life quite happy on the xp platform and the multitude of software which worked perfectly on that platform. I get the license is basically like a lease and they are saying they want their car back, but I think we need legislation in this regard. I am too sick and too old to manage three web sites using this inferior web editing software that they patched for former frontpage web sites. Yea a purist would say why settle for ten year old technology, but I have been using the same fricking craftman tools from sears for forty years and they have not said you cannot use those tools now.

2Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/8/2016, 1:38 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Get a MacBook Air.

3Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/8/2016, 1:55 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:Get a MacBook Air.

Or stick with Windows 7 until it's no longer supported.

4Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/8/2016, 1:59 pm

Sal

Sal

I have been using Macs for decades, and I now have my first negative experience to report.

I have an iMac desktop that is about six years old.

It crapped out on me, and when I took it in for diagnostics, the logic board was toast.

I was looking at about $750 to replace the logic board on a six-year-old computer - not worth it.

I've had Macs that eventually got so old that I quit using them, but they remain fully functional.

I guess they're not making them like they used to.

5Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/8/2016, 2:29 pm

2seaoat

I get things wearing out, and I get licensing and profit, but I just see so much waste because of greed as Microsoft is forcing folks to just waste in the business environment billions of dollars with this clear conspiracy of software and hardware spiral which requires that the consumer who would be quite happy with old technology like windows 7 for the next ten years, are having to have staff which is constantly being forced to waste money.

I have a friend who has developed a remarkable inspection database for fire departments and municipalities. It coordinates building owners, monitoring companies, and those who inspect those buildings under one database which is free to the government and free to the service provider, but is back charged through the monthly monitoring fee. His son came up with the idea and they are kicking asz all over the country. However, lets say Las Vegas and Madison Wi are on their national database. His software guys have standard software which goes with the Android and Iphone. Inspectors use an Ipad and input the data and all parties know what is going on saving folks millions of dollars nationally. However, Microsoft and apple will put out new software updates for their platform or new hardware, and make changes which have the same exact functionality, but say Madison puts their inspectors on the newest version, and next thing you know they are getting phone calls that a functionality they want on this phone will not work......so 5k later, they do a patch, and six weeks later, las Vegas has an update.

My point is that this is intentional jibberish which rewards the tech companies with profit for no real improvement. They understand as developers that they are working with new versions which will be released, but it is these constant updates which just are not honest anymore......they are like the old auto industry making the rocker panels susceptible to rust......and finally folks said BS and cars became basically rust resistant for triple the time of designed failure.

Much of the tech world today is NOT about innovation, but about manipulation and profit.

6Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/8/2016, 3:29 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I get things wearing out, and I get licensing and profit, but I just see so much waste because of greed as Microsoft is forcing folks to just waste in the business environment billions of dollars with this clear conspiracy of software and hardware spiral which requires that the consumer who would be quite happy with old technology like windows 7 for the next ten years, are having to have staff which is constantly being forced to waste money.

I have a friend who has developed a remarkable inspection database for fire departments and municipalities.  It coordinates building owners, monitoring companies, and those who inspect those buildings under one database which is free to the government and free to the service provider, but is back charged through the monthly monitoring fee.  His son came up with the idea and they are kicking asz all over the country.  However, lets say Las Vegas and Madison Wi are on their national database.  His software guys have standard software which goes with the Android and Iphone.   Inspectors use an Ipad and input the data and all parties know what is going on saving folks millions of dollars nationally.  However, Microsoft and apple will put out new software updates for their platform or new hardware, and make changes which have the same exact functionality, but say Madison puts their inspectors on the newest version, and next thing you know they are getting phone calls that a functionality they want on this phone will not work......so 5k later, they do a patch, and six weeks later, las Vegas has an update.    

My point is that this is intentional jibberish which rewards the tech companies with profit for no real improvement.  They understand as developers that they are working with new versions which will be released, but it is these constant updates which just are not honest anymore......they are like the old auto industry making the rocker panels susceptible to rust......and finally folks said BS and cars became basically rust resistant for triple the time of designed failure.

Much of the tech world today is NOT about innovation, but about manipulation and profit.

Yes,  computer related product manufacturers are now full bore into the planned obsolescence business. 
So you have to outsmart them however you can.

I do it by never buying a new desktop PC.  The PC I'm using now...
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03047430
... was bought for five bucks at a yard sale earlier this year.  It was five bucks only because the seller didn't have the Windows administrative password so thought it was junk (his son left it with him when he went overseas). 
When I bought it,  I was using a similiar PC I'd bought for $15 at a sale about six months earlier.  So now it's a standby in case the newer one craps out.
Both have Windows 7 and all the specs I need to do what I need to do with a PC.
So they can take their planned obsolescence and stick it.

You can't do this with Mac because not enough of them are around.

7Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/9/2016, 8:25 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/mar/23/were-are-all-losers-to-gadget-industry-built-on-planned-obsolescence

8Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/9/2016, 9:49 am

2seaoat

I get the hardware, but when you stop supporting software which does not allow that product to be supported on servers like the abandonment of Frontpage by Microsoft, It is a huge and growing cost on business in America, and is bad as 15 years ago people copying and stealing software. Good article.

9Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/9/2016, 1:30 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bob wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I get things wearing out, and I get licensing and profit, but I just see so much waste because of greed as Microsoft is forcing folks to just waste in the business environment billions of dollars with this clear conspiracy of software and hardware spiral which requires that the consumer who would be quite happy with old technology like windows 7 for the next ten years, are having to have staff which is constantly being forced to waste money.

I have a friend who has developed a remarkable inspection database for fire departments and municipalities.  It coordinates building owners, monitoring companies, and those who inspect those buildings under one database which is free to the government and free to the service provider, but is back charged through the monthly monitoring fee.  His son came up with the idea and they are kicking asz all over the country.  However, lets say Las Vegas and Madison Wi are on their national database.  His software guys have standard software which goes with the Android and Iphone.   Inspectors use an Ipad and input the data and all parties know what is going on saving folks millions of dollars nationally.  However, Microsoft and apple will put out new software updates for their platform or new hardware, and make changes which have the same exact functionality, but say Madison puts their inspectors on the newest version, and next thing you know they are getting phone calls that a functionality they want on this phone will not work......so 5k later, they do a patch, and six weeks later, las Vegas has an update.    

My point is that this is intentional jibberish which rewards the tech companies with profit for no real improvement.  They understand as developers that they are working with new versions which will be released, but it is these constant updates which just are not honest anymore......they are like the old auto industry making the rocker panels susceptible to rust......and finally folks said BS and cars became basically rust resistant for triple the time of designed failure.

Yes,  computer related product manufacturers are now full bore into the planned obsolescence business. 
So you have to outsmart them however you can.

I do it by never buying a new desktop PC.  The PC I'm using now...
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03047430
... was bought for five bucks at a yard sale earlier this year.  It was five bucks only because the seller didn't have the Windows administrative password so thought it was junk (his son left it with him when he went overseas). 
When I bought it,  I was using a similiar PC I'd bought for $15 at a sale about six months earlier.  So now it's a standby in case the newer one craps out.
Both have Windows 7 and all the specs I need to do what I need to do with a PC.
So they can take their planned obsolescence and stick it.

You can't do this with Mac because not enough of them are around.

Yeah, Bob, but I bet your yard-sale PC doesn't have an 8-core, 64-bit, 4.0 GHZ CPU, and 16 GB of RAM, like mine does.

Computers are something I am not opposed to investing money in. The one I am using now cost me $813 in 08/14 after I added all of the software I wanted (latest full version of Adobe Acrobat, MS-Office-13, Adobe Photoshop Elements 12, and WinZip). I use Adobe Acrobat as my default printer, and I needed the other software for the small enterprises I engage in on the Internet (in affiliate marketing and at Fiverr.com).

I like Windows 10, but even my zippy-PC took 65 minutes to load the latest update. I reported it here a week ago.

I ain't switching to no MAC. either! Harumph!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

10Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/9/2016, 2:22 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Yeah, Bob, but I bet your yard-sale PC doesn't have an 8-core, 64-bit, 4.0 GHZ CPU, and 16 GB of RAM, like mine does.

Dual core, 2.8 GHZ, 64 bit and 6 GB RAM.

11Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/9/2016, 3:43 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bob wrote:

Not too shabby; especially if you got it for $5. You should do research on your mother board to see how much RAM it supports, along with which brand/modules are compatible, and do a memory upgrade. Cheap upgrade option.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

12Window 10 updates Empty Re: Window 10 updates 1/9/2016, 5:22 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Bob wrote:

Not too shabby; especially if you got it for $5. You should do research on your mother board to see how much RAM it supports, along with which brand/modules are compatible, and do a memory upgrade. Cheap upgrade option.

Memory upgrade information

• Single channel memory architecture
  • Two 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
  • Supports the following:

• PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)

• Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit* systems
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit systems

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]