Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AZ lawmaker who believes Earth is 6,000 years old leads education panel

+5
knothead
TEOTWAWKI
Markle
2seaoat
boards of FL
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.12news.com/story/news/2015/12/21/arizona-legislator-who-believes-earth-6000-year-old-leads-education-committee/77715744/

2seaoat

Arizona became the white flight destination for California, and now white baby boomers are retiring there. My mother who just passed lived in Sun City West which rolled up the streets at 8pm and was lily white. Everybody was afraid of Mexicans stealing something......to listen to her friends talk, they were in the middle of the South side of Chicago. Scared old white people wanting America to go back to 1950 when everybody knew their place......and voting for the party which represents the same.

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Arizona became the white flight destination for California, and now white baby boomers are retiring there.  My mother who just passed lived in Sun City West which rolled up the streets at 8pm and was lily white.  Everybody was afraid of Mexicans stealing something......to listen to her friends talk, they were in the middle of the South side of Chicago.   Scared old white people wanting America to go back to 1950 when everybody knew their place......and voting for the  party which represents the same.

But this is a religion problem.  This woman has a say in the curriculum presented in AZ public schools, and she honestly believes that the earth is 6,000 years old.  This is precisely why religion is a problem.  

The bible is merely one in a neverending series of ancient mythological texts that today we know are simply false portrayals of reality.  They were our attempt to explain the natural world at a time when we were fairly ignorant about the natural world.  Everything we didn't understand was given a supernatural explanation.  Today, from the vantage point of a better understanding of the world through scientific investigation, we know that these texts are simply wrong.  There are no virgin births, even though countless religions claim that there are.  We know that people do not rise from the dead, even though countless religions claim that this has happened.  We know that there are no talking snakes.  Sacrificing a human being isn't going to make right any of the wrongs that we do.  One would think that by the 21st century we would have evolved beyond ritual human sacrifice, and yet I suspect nearly half or perhaps more on this forum do in fact believe that they are some sort of wretched souls who have found vicarious salvation through ceremonial human sacrifice.  Simply amazing.  And all of this is refuted scientifically.  Any high school physics student can put the bible down a mere three sentences in and deem it fantasy.

The first three sentences of the bible:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

Right away, we can reject this accounting of events.  We don't even need to read this any further.  Land, planets, or "earth" came after light.  We know this because "earth" is made of stardust material which is produced in a supernova event.  The same can be said for "water" as well.  Since stardust come from stars that ultimately produce light, "earth" and "water" could not possibly come before light.   Three sentences in and we can reject this text on its face.  And if we were to continue reading anyways, it doesn't get any more accurate from there on out.   And we shouldn't expect it.  It was written by ignorant sheepherders thousands of years ago.  Of course it's full of mythological bullshit!

We shouldn't be surprised when people like the woman from the article carry ignorant views of the world when many Americans today force those ignorant views on their children through he process of indoctrination.  As much as I can't stand dealing with people like this woman, I still ultimately view her as a victim.  Her parents indoctrinated her into these ignorant beliefs.  And her grandparents indoctrinated her parents.  And now, she can potentially indoctrinate AZ public schools.  The only way this ignorance persists is through the indoctrination of children.  That's it.  And this woman is now poised to do just that.

2seaoat

I agree completely that public schools should be secular and not tied into any religion. I have no interest in questioning her beliefs, just want her not to confuse her beliefs as the public beliefs which turn secular schools into religious state schools. In Arizona the k-12 school system is woefully inadequate as selfish older people do not see the need to support the same. I would NEVER live in Arizona. When I was healthy and golfing in the winter there, it was strange twenty years ago, but the golf was great.

Markle

Markle

Isn't this Arizona's business and not yours?

2seaoat

Isn't this Arizona's business and not yours?

I have a niece who has her children in that school system. I am entitled to an opinion, and I have shared the same.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:Isn't this Arizona's business and not yours?

This is humanity's business.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:

Bull hockey.

Aren't we supposed to have sovereign states?

If you don't like the education system in Arizona, you don't have to move to Arizona.

Have the scores and accomplishments of local schools NOT declined since we've had a Federal Department of Education?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:Isn't this Arizona's business and not yours?

I have a niece who has her children in that school system.  I am entitled to an opinion, and I have shared the same.

Yes as the family patriarch....

2seaoat

Nope......just a concerned uncle who is entitled to express his opinion on government and religion not mixing in our schools, in Illinois, Az, Florida, or any state in America.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Yes as the family patriarch....

Nope......just a concerned uncle who is entitled to express his opinion on government and religion not mixing in our schools, in Illinois, Az, Florida, or any state in America.

Yes, since all hint of religion has been removed from our schools our students and schools have done so much better.

knothead

knothead

Science vs flat earth society . . . . . embarrassed for America in general and for AZ in particular.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Arizona became the white flight destination for California, and now white baby boomers are retiring there.  My mother who just passed lived in Sun City West which rolled up the streets at 8pm and was lily white.  Everybody was afraid of Mexicans stealing something......to listen to her friends talk, they were in the middle of the South side of Chicago.   Scared old white people wanting America to go back to 1950 when everybody knew their place......and voting for the  party which represents the same.

But this is a religion problem.  This woman has a say in the curriculum presented in AZ public schools, and she honestly believes that the earth is 6,000 years old.  This is precisely why religion is a problem.  

The bible is merely one in a neverending series of ancient mythological texts that today we know are simply false portrayals of reality.  They were our attempt to explain the natural world at a time when we were fairly ignorant about the natural world.  Everything we didn't understand was given a supernatural explanation.  Today, from the vantage point of a better understanding of the world through scientific investigation, we know that these texts are simply wrong.  There are no virgin births, even though countless religions claim that there are.  We know that people do not rise from the dead, even though countless religions claim that this has happened.  We know that there are no talking snakes.  Sacrificing a human being isn't going to make right any of the wrongs that we do.  One would think that by the 21st century we would have evolved beyond ritual human sacrifice, and yet I suspect nearly half or perhaps more on this forum do in fact believe that they are some sort of wretched souls who have found vicarious salvation through ceremonial human sacrifice.  Simply amazing.  And all of this is refuted scientifically.  Any high school physics student can put the bible down a mere three sentences in and deem it fantasy.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

Right away, we can reject this accounting of events.  We don't even need to read this any further.  Land, planets, or "earth" came after light.  We know this because "earth" is made of stardust material which is produced in a supernova event.  The same can be said for "water" as well.  Since stardust come from stars that ultimately produce light, "earth" and "water" could not possibly come before light.   Three sentences in and we can reject this text on its face.  And if we were to continue reading anyways, it doesn't get any more accurate from there on out.   And we shouldn't expect it.  It was written by ignorant sheepherders thousands of years ago.  Of course it's full of mythological bullshit!

We shouldn't be surprised when people like the woman from the article carry ignorant views of the world when many Americans today force those ignorant views on their children through he process of indoctrination.  As much as I can't stand dealing with people like this woman, I still ultimately view her as a victim.  Her parents indoctrinated her into these ignorant beliefs.  And her grandparents indoctrinated her parents.  And now, she can potentially indoctrinate AZ public schools.  The only way this ignorance persists is through the indoctrination of children.  That's it.  And this woman is now poised to do just that.

Congratulations Boards...you have figured out what no one ever could. You have interpreted  the Old Testament literally.

You have once again proved yourself to be of superior intelligence to everyone on this forum. Always correct and nevet wrong...... the epitome of infallibility .

Biblical hermeneutics has escaped you.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Isn't this Arizona's business and not yours?

I have a niece who has her children in that school system.  I am entitled to an opinion, and I have shared the same.

Father Walter

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Congratulations Boards...you have figured out what no one ever could. You have interpreted  the Old Testament literally.

You have once again proved yourself to be of superior intelligence to everyone on this forum. Always correct and nevet wrong...... the epitome of infallibility .

Right.  Because the lines that I quoted are obviously a figurative way of saying "In the beginning, god created time, space, and energy.  This eventually gave way to stars, which gave way to light, earth, and water."

Great point, Joani.  And I guess the virgin birth, the resurrection, the garden of eden, none of that actually happened, right?  That's all just figurative speak clearly explaining evolution and biology, right?

How convenient!  All of the parts of the bible - most of it - that didn't age well with evolving human morals, ethics, and scientific understanding are simply not to be taken literally.  And what few passages remain that we can twist into something that approaches morality, well, yes...take that literally.

How convenient!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Right.  Because the lines that I quoted are obviously a figurative way of saying "In the beginning, god created time, space, and energy.  This eventually gave way to stars, which gave way to light, earth, and water."

Great point, Joani.  And I guess the virgin birth, the resurrection, the garden of eden, none of that actually happened, right?  That's all just figurative speak clearly explaining evolution and biology, right?

How convenient!  All of the parts of the bible
- most of it - that didn't age well with evolving human morals, ethics, and scientific understanding are simply not to be taken literally.  And what few passages remain that we can twist into something that approaches morality, well, yes...take that literally.

How convenient!

Convenient?  I learned that in 9th grade and I said THE OLD TESTAMENT.

Hermeneutics...look it up golden boy. Keep trying but you are not going to change the beliefs of others regarding faith.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Joanimaroni wrote:Keep trying but you are not going to change the beliefs of others regarding faith.

I have two degrees in science, and have no problems believing the first two verses of Genesis. After all, it was God who created the science that mere mortals use to try to prove He does not exist.  

Last edited by ZVUGKTUBM on 12/23/2015, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

How convenient!  All of the parts of the bible
- most of it - that didn't age well with evolving human morals, ethics, and scientific understanding are simply not to be taken literally.  And what few passages remain that we can twist into something that approaches morality, well, yes...take that literally.

How convenient!

Convenient?  I learned that in 9th grade and I said THE OLD TESTAMENT.

Hermeneutics...look it up golden boy. Keep trying but you are not going to change the beliefs of others regarding faith.

Old Testament, New Testament, it's all bullshit.  I mean it really is.  

But I do think you may be correct, unfortunately, about me not being able to change the beliefs of others regarding faith.  Rational arguments have little effect on people who think irrationally.  If someone chooses to believe that they'll get 82 virgins if they blow themselves up in a public square, there probably aren't many rational arguments that I could present that would sway them away from such beliefs.  If someone believes that sacrificing another human being is a legitimate path to some sort of salvation from...something...well, you're probably right.  I'm not going to have much luck in talking them off the ledge. If an AZ lawmaker believes that the Earth is 6,000 years old, yes, it is very unlikely that such a person will ever full grasp reality.

Convincing a paranoid schizophrenic that the government isn't really putting mind control robots in their drinking water would likely be an uphill battle as well.  

Alas.  We do what we can with what we have and hope for the best.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Bull hockey.

If you don't like the education system in Arizona, you don't have to move to Arizona.

Have the scores and accomplishments of local schools NOT declined since we've had a Federal Department of Education?

Face it, Arizona will now turn out thousands of stupid, myth-informed students unable to contribute to science or engineering. These Christian dunces will end up in bread lines or on welfare. And Markle will come to their rescue ... uh huh.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

yeah faith and science doesn't mix....

Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519 Catholic
Nicolas Copernicus 1473-1543 Catholic (priest)
Andreas Vesalius 1514-1564 Catholic
Francis Bacon 1561-1626 Anglican
Galileo Galileo 1564-1642 Catholic
Johannes Kepler 1571-1630 Lutheran
William Harvey 1578-1657 Anglican (nominal)
Johann van Helmont 1579-1644
Rene Descartes 1596-1650 Catholic
Blaise Pascal 1623-1662 Jansenist
Robert Boyle 1627-1691 Anglican
Christiann Huygens 1629-1695 Calvinist
Anton van Leeuwenhoek 1632-1723 Dutch Reformed
Robert Hooke 1635-1703 Anglican
Sir Isaac Newton 1642-1727 Anglican

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:
Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Bull hockey.

Face it, Arizona will now turn out thousands of stupid, myth-informed students unable to contribute to science or engineering.  These Christian dunces will end up in bread lines or on welfare.  And Markle will come to their rescue ... uh huh.  

I do love how I'm living rent free in your head! Thanks for the free housing!

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Bull hockey.

Face it, Arizona will now turn out thousands of stupid, myth-informed students unable to contribute to science or engineering.  These Christian dunces will end up in bread lines or on welfare.  And Markle will come to their rescue ... uh huh.  

I do love how I'm living rent free in your head!  Thanks for the free housing!

You're welcome. Pissing on your pontifications is always great fun.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Merkel,

Question for you.

Colorado and Washington are sovereign states just like Arizona.  What happens there is no business of yours or mine.  
So if a Republican is elected president,  I'm sure you would not want him to enforce the federal marijuana Prohibition on Colorado or Washington because what happens there is no business of yours,  mine OR the federal government.
Is that correct?

p.s.  and I'll take no response from you as an admission that you're nothing but a damn hypocrite.  lol

Last edited by Bob on 12/30/2015, 9:20 am; edited 2 times in total

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

TEOTWAWKI wrote:yeah faith and science doesn't mix....

Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519 Catholic
Nicolas Copernicus 1473-1543 Catholic (priest)
Andreas Vesalius 1514-1564 Catholic
Francis Bacon 1561-1626 Anglican
Galileo Galileo 1564-1642 Catholic
Johannes Kepler 1571-1630 Lutheran
William Harvey 1578-1657 Anglican (nominal)
Johann van Helmont 1579-1644
Rene Descartes 1596-1650 Catholic
Blaise Pascal 1623-1662 Jansenist
Robert Boyle 1627-1691 Anglican
Christiann Huygens 1629-1695 Calvinist
Anton van Leeuwenhoek 1632-1723 Dutch Reformed
Robert Hooke 1635-1703 Anglican
Sir Isaac Newton 1642-1727 Anglican

Take note: not one of the esteemed scientists above believe the earth was less than millions of years old, and some of them were punished by their religions for countering mythic religious dogma with true science. You know, the same sort of shit now going on in Arizona. Reality.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum