Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scalia questions place of some black students in elite colleges

+4
boards of FL
EmeraldGhost
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Slightly off-topic:

If it is a given that diversity is a good thing – in school, in the workplace, on boards, etc., why doesn’t it apply to Sports?  Many of our teams consist predominantly, if not entirely of African-Americans.  Others consist predominantly of white players.  Why don’t the tenets of diversity apply in sports?

boards of FL

boards of FL

colaguy wrote:Slightly off-topic:

If it is a given that diversity is a good thing – in school, in the workplace, on boards, etc., why doesn’t it apply to Sports?  Many of our teams consist predominantly, if not entirely of African-Americans.  Others consist predominantly of white players.  Why don’t the tenets of diversity apply in sports?

Scalia questions place of some black students in elite colleges - Page 2 Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891

Vikingwoman

EmeraldGhost wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:So .... how come Obama's Occidental College & Harvard records are sealed?

Why can't we know what courses he took, what grades he made, and who paid for his education?

His records aren't "sealed".  They simply have not been publicly released.  But to say that they are "sealed", as if Obama went through some legal process to insure that that information never sees the light of day, that's false.  My college records aren't open to the public, though I haven't "sealed" them.  No one I know's college records are public information, though they haven't "sealed" them.  This idea that Obama's records are "sealed" is essentially red meat being thrown out for low information voters.  Why vote on things like policy when you can instead vote on empty rhetoric like "His rekors r sealeD!!!" and "Benghasi!!!?

And I don't see how that makes Scalia's comments any less racist.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/07/obamas-sealed-records/

"sealed" "not publicly released" ... same difference.  Semantics.

He could release 'em with the stroke of a pen.

He's the freakin' President of the United States.  He works for us.  We are his employer.  We have a right to know .... and I, or one, would like to.  

I think all elected officials education records should be fully released.

Whatcha wanna bet they'll never see the light of day?  Ever.

You know Obama graduated Magna Cum Laude,don't you? That much we know because it's says so on his diploma. So why do you need to know his educational records?

Vikingwoman

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:So .... how come Obama's Occidental College & Harvard records are sealed?

Why can't we know what courses he took, what grades he made, and who paid for his education?

His records aren't "sealed".  They simply have not been publicly released.  But to say that they are "sealed", as if Obama went through some legal process to insure that that information never sees the light of day, that's false.  My college records aren't open to the public, though I haven't "sealed" them.  No one I know's college records are public information, though they haven't "sealed" them.  This idea that Obama's records are "sealed" is essentially red meat being thrown out for low information voters.  Why vote on things like policy when you can instead vote on empty rhetoric like "His rekors r sealeD!!!" and "Benghasi!!!?

And I don't see how that makes Scalia's comments any less racist.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/07/obamas-sealed-records/

"sealed" "not publicly released" ... same difference.  Semantics.

He could release 'em with the stroke of a pen.

He's the freakin' President of the United States.  He works for us.  We are his employer.  We have a right to know .... and I, or one, would like to.  

I think all elected officials education records should be fully released.

Whatcha wanna bet they'll never see the light of day?  Ever.

Yes.  I suppose he could.  

Let's say that he did exactly that.  How would that information influence us today in any way?  How would it really be material in any sense?  He's a lame duck president at this point.  I think that vetting isn't necessarily the best strategy seeing as how we're in election season in a lame duck presidency.

YOU'RE afraid that it will solidly confirm that semi-retired President Obama is indeed, positively unqualified to be President of the United states much less anything else.

George W. Bush wasn’t the best college student around.  But at least he’s been up front about his college record, unlike Barack Obama, Joe Biden, and Sarah Palin. John McCain, on the other hand, has been quite upfront about the fact that he was ranked 894 out of 899 in the Naval Academy.

COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS OF GEORGE W. BUSH SHOW C AVERAGE

In fact, George W. Bush has openly released his Yale University undergraduate transcript.  As you can see, Bush truly was a solid C student.  He never got an A in anything the entire time that he was in college (although he never got a D or an F either).  Bush almost got As in history and anthropology, and earned a high pass in Japanese, of all things.  However, he received a 71 and a 73 respectively in his two political science and government classes.  His lowest grade was in sociology — a 70.

Bush earned a 1206 on the SATs, which is pretty good.  These days, though, a 1200 won’t get you anywhere near Yale, so I wonder how true that was back then, and how much Bush’s father’s connections had to do with getting him in.

http://www.eduinreview.com/blog/2008/10/college-transcripts-of-george-w-bush-show-c-average/

The mention of the SAT score is that since George Bush, and for that matter, since I took the SAT exams the score has been "re-centered".  Too many students were getting lower and lower scores on the exam so, rather than blame the method of education, they give extra points to the math and English scores thus increasing them...artificially.  

Here ya go, Markle.Compare this from the Harvard Crimson.

The presidential hopeful graduated magna cum laude from the Law School in 1991; his wife earned the degree three years earlier.

But the senator was still outstanding in his own right—“brilliant, charismatic, and focused,” said Wilkins, the Kirkland and Ellis professor of law. The two forged a relationship after Obama became the first African American president of the Harvard Law Review.

Obama announced the creation of an exploratory committee Tuesday, effectively launching his bid for the presidency, but he revealed his decision to his closest supporters in a conference call days earlier.

“He talked about how the timing was not exactly what he himself expected, but with a tremendous response from the nation, that this is an important moment and a great opportunity to step forward,” Wilkins said.

Loeb University Professor Laurence H. Tribe ’62, who taught Obama and employed him as a research assistant, remembers him as a “brilliant, personable, and obviously unique” person. Tribe said that Obama’s theoretical perspective on applying modern physics to law was “very impressive.”

“He is obviously a serious intellectual as well as a fantastic campaigner who can reach across boundaries,” Tribe said. “He will make an extraordinarily fine president.”
The presidential hopeful graduated magna cum laude from the Law School in 1991; his wife earned the degree three years earlier.

But the senator was still outstanding in his own right—“brilliant, charismatic, and focused,” said Wilkins, the Kirkland and Ellis professor of law. The two forged a relationship after Obama became the first African American president of the Harvard Law Review.

Obama announced the creation of an exploratory committee Tuesday, effectively launching his bid for the presidency, but he revealed his decision to his closest supporters in a conference call days earlier.

“He talked about how the timing was not exactly what he himself expected, but with a tremendous response from the nation, that this is an important moment and a great opportunity to step forward,” Wilkins said.

Loeb University Professor Laurence H. Tribe ’62, who taught Obama and employed him as a research assistant, remembers him as a “brilliant, personable, and obviously unique” person. Tribe said that Obama’s theoretical perspective on applying modern physics to law was “very impressive.”

“He is obviously a serious intellectual as well as a fantastic campaigner who can reach across boundaries,” Tribe said. “He will make an extraordinarily fine president.”
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2007/1/19/obama-left-mark-on-hls-days/

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:You have no clue as to the damage done by quota's do you?

The damage of quotas for 100 years after the Civil War meant that talented black and hispanic kids did not have ANY opportunity to attend top educational institutions in some regions of this nation.   That damage with quotas over 100 years has resulted in an imperfect system to attempt to rectify the 100 year quota process.  It has been hugely successful.   I have mentored students from the Illinois math and science academy, and the smartest student I had work on a project was an african american student whose parents were doctors.  That student would never have had the opportunity in Birmingham Alabama from 1865 to 1965.   If some who are not completely up to the standards of today, it only follows that for a hundred years there were talented people who exceeded the standards but were denied entry.   This is not rocket science, and it is far from perfect, but it is a moral choice which I have found has remarkable success over the last fifty years.  Fifty years from now and maybe this will all be unnecessary......It still serves a very important purpose today.

How is the student, or society, served by putting a student in a situation where it is impossible for them to succeed?

The point being made is that quota's do more harm than good.

In my opinion, there should be no "box" to check off as to the race of the applicant and people are admitted based only on their qualifications. Along that line, I think the name of the applicant should be blocked for those making the admission decision.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum