Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents

+3
Sal
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

My grandmother born in Opelika Alabama in 1899.  She used to go with her father and sisters to Auburn games in the early 1900s until her father died in the 1918 flu epidemic.  After my father died when I was ten, she moved in for awhile to help raise my brother and I.  She was five foot eleven inches and all the boys made fun of her.  She only had a high school education because she had to take care of her siblings, but when I was in graduate school she could still conjugate her latin and she knew the names of all sixty something Alabama counties.  What woman could have achieved if they were given the opportunities of today.  I often think about her life.  Going from horse and buggy to jet planes..........

Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents 20131110

Stories of strong women! Love it. And she is beautiful!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SheWrites wrote:Stories of strong women!  Love it.  And she is beautiful!

cheers

2seaoat

We all get here through grandparents.....unless everybody on this forum is from another planet, how about sharing grandparents.

Sal

Sal

My granddad came to Louisville from the sticks with 40c in his pocket, and met my grandma who was a flapper.

They were really cool people.

Maybe I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Maybe not.

We'll see.

Vikingwoman

She was indeed beautiful! Probably a great amazon woman who could lift a horse,plow a field, skin a buffalo five minutes after she gave birth. Loved the clothes they wore back then except they were a little cumbersome.

2seaoat

Probably a great amazon woman who could lift a horse,plow a field, skin a buffalo five minutes after she gave birth.

She did not have any of her children in a hospital. She was very active in the Baptist Church and taught Sunday school. She used to talk about being ashamed of being so tall. The boys were quite cruel to her and I remember the pain in her voice being teased about being so tall. Today tall is cherished among women, but at the turn of the century she was the butt of many jokes. She used to talk about the boys singing a song.....Mary Mary quite contrary, and then some reference to her height. In her eighties she would watch soap operas and then call her church friends and get all worked up about the soaps.....it was a trip to listen to her and her friends talk about how bad people were.....but she was back the next day watching. I used to be amazed how she could make cheese biscuits from scratch and pear preserves each year from her pear trees. We have come so far, yet in reality people change very little over the centuries.

My grandmother was born in 1898 and passed away in 1979. She taught school, although not formally trained. It was the day when the students who excelled led the class and then taught on their own. She was a redhead and married my grandfather in the early 1900s. They had seven living children and lost two. The two are buried next to them in Mississippi. He died when my mother was 5 years old - in the mid 1930s of a heart problem that kept him from work. Probably an ailment that could be easily treated today. My grandmother managed a WPA sewing room and then had a small lunch "window" in the back of a service station near the high school. She made burgers for the kids and was loved by everyone. She saw Bonnie and Clyde flee a bank robbery.

Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents Circa_10

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Interesting.

2seaoat

I love the hat, the boots, and the ornate chair. Life is hard. Children dying was so much more common a hundred years ago, and people had larger families. So much has changed and so much remains the same.

2seaoat wrote:I love the hat, the boots, and the ornate chair.   Life is hard.  Children dying was so much more common a hundred years ago, and people had larger families.  So much has changed and so much remains the same.

Because of the large family and my mother being next to the youngest and myself being next to the youngest grandchild, we seem to be stretched across a huge dichotomy of time and experiences.  As much as I know and can write, I am documenting.  My sweet grand girl to be born in February 2016 needs to know of the strength of the women in her past family.  Very Happy

My grandmother never remarried. She raised two sons and five girls on her own.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents Emily_11

My paternal grandmother, 1901-1971. Born, raised, and lived her life in Bakersfield, CA; where I also grew up.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

A beautiful woman. I imagine California at the turn of the century was quite the place to be with an expanding economy and population growing rapidly. To think that photographs were only fifty years old when she was born, and today with smart phones and computers we all become professional photographers with amazing quality.

Sal

Sal

Salinsky wrote:My granddad came to Louisville from the sticks with 40c in his pocket, and met my grandma who was a flapper.

Maybe not.

We'll see.

Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents Img_1112

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Love all the pictures....Zach man your grandmother looks like she is right out of the 60's....stunning!

2seaoat

Sal,
That is a good looking couple, and you can tell by the twinkle in their eyes that the roaring twenties were fun.

Vikingwoman

Salinsky wrote:
Salinsky wrote:My granddad came to Louisville from the sticks with 40c in his pocket, and met my grandma who was a flapper.

Maybe not.

We'll see.

Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents Img_1112

They look like movie stars!

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:I love the hat, the boots, and the ornate chair.   Life is hard.  Children dying was so much more common a hundred years ago, and people had larger families.  So much has changed and so much remains the same.

I love the hat and stuff too. Imagine putting those shoes on w/ all those snaps?

Vikingwoman

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents Emily_11

My paternal grandmother, 1901-1971. Born, raised, and lived her life in Bakersfield, CA; where I also grew up.

She looks like she's about 14 and a flower child. How sweet.

Vikingwoman wrote:

I love the hat and stuff too. Imagine putting those shoes on w/ all those snaps?

That was always my question when I'd see that picture. She said they had a little hook/loop deal that pulled the button right through.

Here is my grandfather. All the females in our family say, "Wow, Pawpaw was HOT!" Like I said earlier, he passed away when my mother was only 5.

Laughing Laughing

Several retakes later from an old picture.
Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents Samuel10

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Grandpa, Grandma an Mom

Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents Gp10

2seaoat

Man.....I am loving this She he was strikingly handsome, and T, those are some good looking grandparents. I will try to find some of my grandfather, but a lot were photos which faded. Again some very handsome and beautiful people.

Vikingwoman

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Grandpa, Grandma an Mom

Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents Gp10

Woo hoo Teo! Was that you w/ the little hat before you got a sex change?

Vikingwoman

SheWrites wrote:
Here is my grandfather.  All the females in our family say, "Wow, Pawpaw was HOT!"  Like I said earlier, he passed away when my mother was only 5.

Laughing Laughing

Several retakes later from an old picture.
Post a photo of grandparents or great grandparents Samuel10

He was a hottie! Kinda reminds me of some movie star. What did he die of?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum