Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Smart kid lives in a truck on the google campus...is paying back his college debts.

+2
ZVUGKTUBM
TEOTWAWKI
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-employee-lives-in-truck-in-parking-lot-2015-10

A 23-year-old Google employee lives in a truck in the company's parking lot and saves 90% of his income

As for food and showers, that's all on Google's campus. He eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner at work and showers every morning in the corporate gym post-workout.

Few expenses mean significant savings: "I'm going for a target of saving about 90% of my after-tax income, and throwing that in student loans and investments," he says.

He graduated with $22,434 worth of student loans, and has paid it down to $16,449 over the course of four months. "As a conservative estimate (and taking bonuses into consideration), I expect to have them paid off within the next six months, saving thousands of dollars over the standard 10-year, or even 20-year plans," he says.

Additionally, saving on rent has allowed him to dine at nice restaurants and enjoy San Francisco more than if he opted for living in an apartment.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Very smart kid. I am sure his parents are very proud.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

It's far better than 90% of the kids now days.They need it all up front on credit and borrow constantly from their parents....this kid is thinking inside the box.....

It's a good strategy for a growing authoritarian govt to saddle the brightest citizens with enormous debt... to govt.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:It's a good strategy for a growing authoritarian govt to saddle the brightest citizens with enormous debt... to govt.

So what does that say about politicians who propose subsidized college education? What does that say about people who oppose such an idea?

See ya later, PkrBum!

The govt is the reason that the price of higher education is skyrocketing... it's similar to the housing bubble.

I love how you useful idiots can ignore that govt caused the problem... while begging for the govt to "fix" it.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

The Military, Surveillance, Prison, Law enforcement, the Colleges, the Hospitals, Insurance companies are all getting way more than they deliver in services. You have to deal with all that BS before you even hint about raising taxes to help the poor and disadvantaged. The Middle class is about bled dry. Which one of the industrial complexes will win the race to suck up as much as possible before the ultimate collapse ?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:The govt is the reason that the price of higher education is skyrocketing... it's similar to the housing bubble.

I love how you useful idiots can ignore that govt caused the problem... while begging for the govt to "fix" it.

One more time for PkrBum.  Bernie Sanders has proposed that college education be subsidized by the federal government; meaning, if such legislation were to pass, students earning degrees would not be burdened with debt.

If it is your belief that the current system of offering loans to college students - thus burdening them with debt - is an authoritarian policy, what would you call the policy of subsidized college education being offered by Sanders?

Are you at a loss for words here?  Is this another one of those cases where you make one, one-line submission into a thread and then you're tapped out?

You leftists are so predictable. Sit back and watch the govt fuck up a system so bad that the only option is to nationalize.

Lol... it's so easy these days. Congratulations comrade... pick up your green participation ribbon at the voting booth.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:You leftists are so predictable. Sit back and watch the govt fuck up a system so bad that the only option is to nationalize.

Lol... it's so easy these days. Congratulations comrade... pick up your green participation ribbon at the voting booth.

Do you not understand the question being asked here?

If it is your belief that the current system of offering loans to college students - thus burdening them with debt - is an authoritarian policy, what would you call the policy of subsidized college education being offered by Sanders?

Can you not answer that?  

Uh oh...it's happening again.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Getting the government involved is like pkr said useless actually harmful. Government would be better off getting out of education and most other enterprises . Let the market set costs. If the government starts kicking in free money prices will just go up even further and we will get more leftist commies teaching that government can do everything. It can't. It's a parasite at best.

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/google-employee-lives-in-truck-in-parking-lot-2015-10

A 23-year-old Google employee lives in a truck in the company's parking lot and saves 90% of his income

As for food and showers, that's all on Google's campus. He eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner at work and showers every morning in the corporate gym post-workout.

Few expenses mean significant savings: "I'm going for a target of saving about 90% of my after-tax income, and throwing that in student loans and investments," he says.

He graduated with $22,434 worth of student loans, and has paid it down to $16,449 over the course of four months. "As a conservative estimate (and taking bonuses into consideration), I expect to have them paid off within the next six months, saving thousands of dollars over the standard 10-year, or even 20-year plans," he says.

Additionally, saving on rent has allowed him to dine at nice restaurants and enjoy San Francisco more than if he opted for living in an apartment.

I bet his co-workers, his age think he's an idiot. They're waiting for folks who pay taxes to pay off their loans. WHY BE A RESPONSIBLE ADULT?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:You leftists are so predictable. Sit back and watch the govt fuck up a system so bad that the only option is to nationalize.

Can you not answer that?  

That's as fucked up as ...." What say you"

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:

Can you not answer that?  

Well. I guess we will have to chalk this one up as yet anther time where PkrBum can't seem to find the words to simply explain his own political beliefs.

Until next time.

boards of FL wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Can you not answer that?  

Well.  I guess we will have to chalk this one up as yet anther time where PkrBum can't seem to find the words to simply explain his own political beliefs.

Until next time.

Here's an idea for your Halloween costume - QUESTION MAN Battering and bombarding the populace with questions until all walk away and ignore him. QUESTION MAN MAN MAN...

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Can you not answer that?  

Well.  I guess we will have to chalk this one up as yet anther time where PkrBum can't seem to find the words to simply explain his own political beliefs.

Until next time.

Here's an idea for your Halloween costume - QUESTION MAN  Battering and bombarding the populace with questions until all walk away and ignore him.  QUESTION MAN MAN MAN...

You mean like the Riddler ?
Smart kid lives in a truck on the google campus...is paying back his college debts. ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg3.wikia.nocookie.net%2F__cb20120718050811%2Fbatman%2Fimages%2Fa%2Fa4%2FThe_Riddler_(BF)

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Can you not answer that?  

Until next time.

Here's an idea for your Halloween costume - QUESTION MAN  Battering and bombarding the populace with questions until all walk away and ignore him.  QUESTION MAN MAN MAN...

You mean like the Riddler ?
Smart kid lives in a truck on the google campus...is paying back his college debts. ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg3.wikia.nocookie.net%2F__cb20120718050811%2Fbatman%2Fimages%2Fa%2Fa4%2FThe_Riddler_(BF)

No, the Riddler is classic and undeniably talented.

BOF is just Question Man. Lack luster costume and just questions, over and over and over....

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bhahahaha Razz

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Can you not answer that?  

Until next time.

PkrBum made the claim that when a government offers student loans in order to expand access to education, such a policy is therefore authoritarian because it leaves the students with debt.   The reasoning there is completely asinine to anyone who understands what "authoritarian" means.  

But putting that aside, I wanted to understand PkrBum's political beliefs in that regard because Bernie Sanders is pushing for subsidized college education.  Obama has called for subsidized community college.  If PkrBum views policies that saddle students with debt as being authoritarian, how does he view policies that also provide access to education but that do not leave students with debt?  This is what I was hoping to learn from PkrBum.  Perhaps that goal was too lofty considering the person I tried to engage with.

Now, keep in mind that we're having this back and forth on a message board where people - supposedly - come to engage in discussion about various topics.  If one is participating in such a medium and wants to know something about someone else's viewpoint, how else are they to convey that if not by way of a question?   

And what is particularly odd here is that you don't see any problem with someone making a wild claim such as "That policy is authoritarian!" and then running away when someone else attempts to engage them in discussion on that point.  No problem there in your eyes.  Instead, you see a problem with the other person who seeks to engage.  What a warped way of looking at things!  How dare I attempt to engage in discussion through a medium of communication solely intended for engaging in discussion?!  How blasphemous!

If we're not here to engage and discuss ideas, why are we here?  Oops.  I just asked another question.  My bad.  I suppose that moving forward, we should all simply talk in incredibly vague, one-line assertions.  Let's see.

Bad ideas fail, comrade.  It's all...like...an authoritarian conspiracy...or something.

How is that, SheWrites?  Oops!  Another question!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

People pay taxes...taxes are where subsides come from so basically Your productive parents (rash assumption), will still be paying for your dumbassed education only from both ends...brilliant you dunce.....

And Bernie looks like a hero...you liberals are such marooons...

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:People pay taxes...taxes are where subsides come from so basically Your productive parents (rash assumption), will still be paying for your dumbassed education only from both ends...brilliant you dunce.....

And Bernie looks like a hero...you liberals are such marooons...

Rash assumption indeed. I'm paying for my college education by way of student loans.

Oh no! That must mean that I'm a slave to an authoritarian government!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:It's a good strategy for a growing authoritarian govt to saddle the brightest citizens with enormous debt... to govt.

So what does that say about politicians who propose subsidized college education?  What does that say about people who oppose such an idea?

See ya later, PkrBum!

The blanket question you are asking has too many variables to give an informed intelligent answer. Subsidized education in itself sounds peachy! People opposing the idea may not be as excited as the gullible ones who fail to athink about or question how it will work.

How do you qualify?
How many years will be subsidized?
Will parental income be a factor?
How will failure to complete or receive a passing grade be handled.
Will this include just tuition or tuition, room and board?
Will you be penalized from being subsidized if you are scholarship recipient?
Does each student receive the same amount?
Medical students are in school 10 + years, will this be covered?
Who pays for it?

There is so much waste now in government grants for tuition. Many government grants are given to needy students without provisions for a payback if the student fails to attend required classes. Wasted money!

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Can you not answer that?  

Until next time.

Bad ideas fail, comrade. It's all...like...an authoritarian conspiracy...or something.

How is that, SheWrites?  Oops!  Another question!

The one thing in your "column" that is true. After all, we have certainly seen that "BAD IDEAS FAIL COMRADE" by virtually everything done by this current administration.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

So what does that say about politicians who propose subsidized college education?  What does that say about people who oppose such an idea?

See ya later, PkrBum!

The blanket question you are asking has too many variables to give an informed intelligent answer.  Subsidized education in itself sounds peachy!  People opposing the idea may not be as excited as the gullible ones who fail to athink about or question how it will work.

How do you qualify?
How many years will be subsidized?
Will parental income be a factor?
How will failure to complete or receive a passing grade be handled.
Will this include just tuition or tuition, room and board?
Will you be penalized from being  subsidized if you are scholarship recipient?
Does each student receive the same amount?
Medical students are in school 10 + years, will this be covered?
Who pays for it?

There is so much waste now in government grants for tuition. Many government grants are given to needy students without provisions for a payback if the student fails to attend required classes. Wasted money!

The blanket question that I was asking was equally as broad as the blanket statement that prompted the question.  

Here is that statement one more time for joani:

The specific questions that you raise would certainly have to be defined in any bills that push for subsidized college education, though they are sort of irrelevant in the back and forth exchange between me and PkrBum.  He made a broad, blanket statement about students loans being some sort of authoritarian strategy to saddle our brightest minds with government debt.  I asked a completely sensible question in response to that.  

Here is that question one more time for joani:

boards of FL wrote:So what does that say about politicians who propose subsidized college education?  What does that say about people who oppose such an idea?

Unfortunately, this thread is an example of how nearly every back and forth with PkrBum - or any other right wing forum member - begins and ends.  PkrBum makes a broad, often vague assertion.  I seek some clarity.  Words fail PkrBum when tasked with simply explaining his own political beliefs in a statement more detailed than "It's like...authoritarian...or something."

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

So I suppose you do not understand what Pkr meant when he said, It's a good strategy for a growing authoritarian govt to saddle the brightest citizens with enormous debt... to govt."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum