Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mileage experiment, 100% gasoline vs gas/ethanol

+2
TEOTWAWKI
othershoe1030
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

They say you don't get very good mileage from the gas/ethanol mix. I figured my mileage in my Prius with the mix at 44 mpg and with the 100% gas (available at the station on the corner at the special pump) at 51 mpg.
At the time I bought the real gasoline it was selling for $4.25/gal.
The gas/ethanol was then going for $3.69.

This was just a one tank each test but probably reflects what you'd expect generally from these two fuels.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

othershoe1030 wrote:They say you don't get very good mileage from the gas/ethanol mix. I figured my mileage in my Prius with the mix at 44 mpg and with the 100% gas (available at the station on the corner at the special pump) at 51 mpg.
At the time I bought the real gasoline it was selling for $4.25/gal.
The gas/ethanol was then going for $3.69.

This was just a one tank each test but probably reflects what you'd expect generally from these two fuels.

NASCAR Pit crews said that when they were forced to switch to Ethanol mix they lost 12% efficiency.

2seaoat

The 10% mixes are really not that bad, but the flex fuel mix which cannot go into a Prius is simply awful gas mileage on the ford and GM cars which have flex vehicles. Stupid on Steroids.

I have a Geo Metro and I used to play with different mixes. Here is link to stations that sell Pure or 100% gasolinehttp://pure-gas.org/
]Pensacola UNBRANDED 91 Lucky Penny 2900 W Jackson St N30.41908 W87.25035 details
Pensacola BP 93 Maria's Country Store 7468 Mobile Hwy N30.50631 W87.35514 details
Pensacola UNBRANDED Marina Oyster Barn 505 Bayou Blvd N30.42659 W87.18601 details
Pensacola UNBRANDED 89 Parade 550 N New Warrington Rd N30.41733 W87.27562 details
Pensacola BP 89 The Convenience Store 8001 Scenic Hwy N30.50824 W87.16454 details
Pensacola UNBRANDED 89 X-Press Mart 202 E Olive Rd N30.50966 W87.25444 details
,Milton UNBRANDED 91 Short Stop 6501 Munson Hwy N30.67084 W87.00002 details
Milton UNBRANDED 89 The Local Yocal 5190 Ward Basin Rd. N30.58158 W86.98441 details
Milton UNBRANDED 91 The Other Place 5799 Highway 89 N30.63278 W87.05580 det

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:The 10% mixes are really not that bad, but the flex fuel mix which cannot go into a Prius is simply awful gas mileage on the ford and GM cars which have flex vehicles. Stupid on Steroids.
What is the flex fuel mix? I've never heard of it.

The dirty little secret about ethanol is that it produces less energy than an equivalent amount of gas. Researchers at Cornell University and the University of California-Berkeley say it takes 29 percent more fossil energy to turn corn into ethanol than the amount of fuel the process produces.

Now thats a wonderful deal.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

nochain wrote:The dirty little secret about ethanol is that it produces less energy than an equivalent amount of gas. Researchers at Cornell University and the University of California-Berkeley say it takes 29 percent more fossil energy to turn corn into ethanol than the amount of fuel the process produces.

Now thats a wonderful deal.
A while back we were into making bio-diesel for a VW diesel we had. It was well known that there was basically no energy value from ethanol. That was one of the positive points of the bio.
The only plus for ethanol is to the agribusinesses that get govt. welfare for producing it. We really need to get rid of that.
Another very negative re ethanol is that higher corn prices raise food prices and hurt really poor people.
I can see I'm straying from the mpg topic!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030 wrote: I figured my mileage in my Prius with the mix at 44 mpg and with the 100% gas (available at the station on the corner at the special pump) at 51 mpg.
My 07 Prius with 52k miles gets 42 mpg in town and 51 on the highway (opposite of what it's supposed to be). Both with the gas/ethanol mix.

there's another dirty secret... it's terrible on standard rubber... if the fuel is left in lines and links it will gum it up. i don't use it in boat motors at all.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Othershoe, I agree. I think it's a shame to use corn to make gasoline. It's not good for poor people...it's not good for any of us. Except the people making money off of ethanol.

PkrBum wrote:there's another dirty secret... it's terrible on standard rubber... if the fuel is left in lines and links it will gum it up. i don't use it in boat motors at all.

I try to use straight gas in my boat motor, my generator, and my lawn tractors, blower and weed eaters..

Yomama wrote:
PkrBum wrote:there's another dirty secret... it's terrible on standard rubber... if the fuel is left in lines and links it will gum it up. i don't use it in boat motors at all.

I try to use straight gas in my boat motor, my generator, and my lawn tractors, blower and weed eaters..

This!!!!!

Glad you guys are finding this out.

The save the earth global warming people will get you for this.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Alice wrote:Glad you guys are finding this out.

Those people who care about environment and stuff like that are nothing but liberal sissies. Real men don't give a shit about none of that environment crap.

Bob wrote:

Those people who care about environment and stuff like that are nothing but liberal sissies. Real men don't give a shit about none of that environment crap.
You got that right. That why I still have my 1981 Ford Truck. No Nutting, No cat,no egr, no computer, Just a good old American made Edelbrock 600 4 barrel carb with dual exhaust. A truck built the way God intended them to be.

[img]Mileage experiment, 100% gasoline vs gas/ethanol  2h3ua6w[/img]

LOL That really is my truck....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

hallmarkgrad wrote:
Bob wrote:

You got that right. That why I still have my 1981 Ford Truck. No Nutting, No cat,no egr, no computer, Just a good old American made Edelbrock 600 4 barrel carb with dual exhaust. A truck built the way God intended them to be.

That's a real man's truck. Not no damn sissy prius. Only queers give a shit about that environment nonsense. The environment is nothing but a muslim commie mainstream media plot.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

hallmarkgrad wrote:
Bob wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what are you pulling that truck with or is it just tied up? LOL

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

nochain wrote:The dirty little secret about ethanol is that it produces less energy than an equivalent amount of gas. [b]Researchers at Cornell University and the University of California-Berkeley say it takes 29 percent more fossil energy to turn corn into ethanol than the amount of fuel the process produces.[/b]Now thats a wonderful deal.

Ethanol is a net energy loser. It takes more energy to turn corn into ethanol than the ethanol itself can deliver. It cannot be divorced from fossil fuel inputs, either--i.e., diesel needed to run tractors to farm the corn and bring it to market in trucks--as well as natural gas to make hydrogen used to make fertilizers--and petrochemicfals used to make pesticides/herbicides. It will never be a viable alternative energy source. It is propped up by politicians from corn-growing states and wrong policy/subsidies from Washington.

Solyndra aside, the most promising alternative energy source is going to be electricity from solar energy. The advancements in this arena are astonishing. Google "Absolute Black Solar," or "Spray-on Solar." Experts are saying that 2015 could be the year when solar "crossover" occurs. This is when solar energy becomes cheaper than natural gas or coal for electricity generation.

I can't afford it yet, but one day, I will have a solar roof on my house. Maybe, with Dow PowerHouse solar shingles. Not bulky panels, but shingles designed to soak up the sun! They went on the market in 2011.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

http://awakeatthewheel.net/2011/01/14/check-out-new-2011-flex-fuel-vehicle-models/

E85 fuel

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum