Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to rapidly cut the costs of Welfare . . .

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Are there people on Welfare who prefer getting a check from the government to working for a living? Yes. Well, here's how to cut those roles considerably:

Raise the minimum wage to a level that would provide living conditions as good or better than those provided by a Welfare check.

Simple. Thank you.

Or just go ahead and cut the entitlements. People either work or starve... just like humans throughout history.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:Or just go ahead and cut the entitlements. People either work or starve... just like humans throughout history.

By "people" I assume you include cripples, people who live where the unemployment is above 60%, etc. How Christian of you ...

Why don't you just come out and say: Fuck poor people without jobs?

I have no problem with truly handicapped people receiving assistance. But you already knew that.

I don't even have a problem with a short term handout... though I'd prefer it were done by churches and charities.

A persons lack of motivation and planning for their future isn't my fault... and shouldn't be the govts business.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:I have no problem with truly handicapped people receiving assistance. But you already knew that.

I don't even have a problem with a short term handout... though I'd prefer it were done by churches and charities.

A persons lack of motivation and planning for their future isn't my fault... and shouldn't be the govts business.

This thread is about raising the minimum wage so that work becomes more inviting than welfare. It wouldn't bother me to cut the level of welfare payments while raising the minimum wage, to achieve the same result -- i.e. -- more motivation to work than to take freebies. Why do you disagree?

Because it's a temporary fix with long term implications. It will inflate the system and cost jobs and businesses.

gatorfan

Raising the minimum wage won't have much of an impact on cutting welfare - at least not getting people off the rolls voluntarily. There are some fundamental issues affecting generational welfare recipients, particularly in large cities. Transportation - poor access to transportation means no affordable way to get out of the inner city to where jobs are more plentiful. Childcare - while on welfare childcare is heavily subsidized, not so when one is employed. Even things like a lack of supermarkets in inner cities affect how long a regular income will last, rent, blah blah blah.

Until those many issues are addressed somehow there will be no incentive to work, $15 an hour not.

I wrote a rather long paper many years ago in college on this called "Social Aspects of Poverty" and these issues haven't changed. Limiting time on entitlements is one answer but then you run into all the individual circumstances affecting a persons ability (or inability) to work. Who makes the decision to extend or grant benefits?
Unfortunately many of those unable to work are in that position because of personal choices.

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:Are there people on Welfare who prefer getting a check from the government to working for a living?  Yes.  Well, here's how to cut those roles considerably:

Raise the minimum wage to a level that would provide living conditions as good or better than those provided by a Welfare check.

Simple.  Thank you.

How to rapidly cut the costs of Welfare . . . LOL_zpsrc5py0ql

Wordslinger wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I have no problem with truly handicapped people receiving assistance. But you already knew that.

This thread is about raising the minimum wage so that work becomes more inviting than welfare.  It wouldn't bother me to cut the level of welfare payments while raising the minimum wage, to achieve the same result -- i.e. -- more motivation to work than to take freebies.  Why do you disagree?

When someone has a preference of welfare over work it says a lot about an able-bodied person's character.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

colaguy wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:

This thread is about raising the minimum wage so that work becomes more inviting than welfare.  It wouldn't bother me to cut the level of welfare payments while raising the minimum wage, to achieve the same result -- i.e. -- more motivation to work than to take freebies.  Why do you disagree?

When someone has a preference of welfare over work it says a lot about an able-bodied person's character.

What does it say about a person's character when the Welfare check pays the rent of a modest apartment and the rest goes towards food, when the only available job won't even pay the rent?

2seaoat

Raising the minimum wage is important. I do not agree with $15, but $11 would make huge strides in moving people from welfare to work. However, health insurance, child care, transportation, and housing must work in conjunction with a path which is sustainable. I just do not think most people understand how incredibly hard it is to break this cycle, and I know first hand that most of these folks are ill prepared for work. I would suggest that where minimum wages are increased, there should be tax credits to employers who hire people for two year credits, no one year.....this cycle of poverty requires learning new methods of living. It is amazing how ill prepared folks are and without incentives, the frustration and broken system continues.

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:
colaguy wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:

This thread is about raising the minimum wage so that work becomes more inviting than welfare. It wouldn't bother me to cut the level of welfare payments while raising the minimum wage, to achieve the same result -- i.e. -- more motivation to work than to take freebies.  Why do you disagree?

What does it say about a person's character when the Welfare check pays the rent of a modest apartment and the rest goes towards food, when the only available job won't even pay the rent?

Simple, it says that the person CHOSE not to get an adequate education or to learn a trade. They DID learn from whoever was raising them and their friends the ins and outs of the system and how to live well on taxpayers money.

Section 8 housing, welfare, food stamps, free cable TV and High Speed Internet, free computer, free cell phone and the beat goes on....

2seaoat

Section 8 housing, welfare, food stamps, free cable TV and High Speed Internet, free computer, free cell phone and the beat goes on....

Living in poverty is incredibly difficult. I think some people just do not have a clue. I have been blessed with opportunity, the security of a middle class family, and a great education. A person who has never had opportunity, has never had any security, and gets substandard education, does not have the tools to simply break the cycle of poverty. I have known evil predators who thrive in the poverty cycle, but they are the exception. We can and must do better, and increasing the minimum wage is a huge step in the right direction.

Markle

Markle

A simple way to reduce the cost of welfare and all the costs it creates is to re-instate the 1996 Welfare Reform Act.

As you know, it was gutted by a stroke of the pen by now semi-retired President Obama with the signing of the Stimulus Package.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:A simple way to reduce the cost of welfare and all the costs it creates is to re-instate the 1996 Welfare Reform Act.

As you know, it was gutted by a stroke of the pen by now semi-retired President Obama with the signing of the Stimulus Package.

Right, what needs to be done is to punish all those poor people. So sayeth Semi-sane, "I know NOSSING!" Markle -- who claims to be a loving Christian. Really. I guess the Pope must be wrong ... LOL

Wordslinger wrote:Are there people on Welfare who prefer getting a check from the government to working for a living?  Yes.  Well, here's how to cut those roles considerably:

Simple.  Thank you.  

It's already been proven in Seattle and other places that welfare folks don't want the $15 per hour minimum wage because it cuts into their benefits. They have asked for less hours to keep said benefits. If you can work and you are turning down a full time job to keep your welfare, you don't deserve either and should be cut off from help until you begin to understand life isn't free. Unfortunately, the dems have raised five generations of folks that REQUIRE welfare because that is what they are accustomed to.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum