Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

HBO Vice special on prisons......a must see

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

I have not seen it, but they are a remarkable news organization which is much more than news readers, so I cannot wait. I believe it starts at 9pm.

2seaoat

It is on Now!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's the deal about prison.
Don't do the shit that gets you into one and it won't be an issue.  Or as some famous philosopher said,  "if you can't do the time,  don't do the crime".

But of course that was Robert Blake and after he said that he beat a murder rap.  So I guess some people can even do the crime without doing the time.  lol

2seaoat

don't do the crime".

Agree, but if you decide to do crime, rape someone, murder someone, but whatever you do stay away from non violent drug offenses because you will serve more time.

The series was an eye opener, and it appears that congress is responding.

By removing criminal history on job applications? Lol... obama and holder don't operate in the real world.

2seaoat

By removing criminal history on job applications? Lol... obama and holder don't operate in the real world.

I may not agree with you on this. I think they were proposing that on the job application it would be inappropriate to ask about criminal history. The Job interview however could address the question. Why is this important, because millions of qualified people never get that face to face opportunity to explain that conviction. They may still be flushed, but in light of the horrendous damage done by the drug wars, it may be a partial remedy and opportunity for a convicted person to be redeemed.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

A lot of businesses get a tax break and other state perks for hiring offenders and those on house arrest/probation.

2seaoat

A lot of businesses get a tax break and other state perks for hiring offenders and those on house arrest/probation.

Excellent programs. I hired somebody with some of the Regan tax credits for hiring a person on welfare. Trained her and she went on to great things. It was not easy at first, and the mistakes were numerous, but she had a drive to learn and she grew.....all she ever needed was an opportunity, and after working many jobs over 25 years ago she told me of her work history and the success of her children, and I have been SOLD on any tax credit to employers which give people a chance, and offset employers costs to take the chance on somebody but for these credits would be a burden on society.

I do have to admit the time she was absent minded and instead of putting a fed ex envelope with a 25k cashiers check in the fed ex box she put it in the gas station garbage can as she threw out her coffee cup. We had to back track every stop she made, and when we got to the gas station she remembered she threw away her coffee cup.....bingo....we took the fed ex out of the garbage, got a new envelope and sent it.....she learned an important lesson that day.....and so did I.....patience.....which had always been something I needed to learn.

Vikingwoman

Before I retired we hired about 25 welfare to work women. It was so awful. They cussed and fought literally on the job. I'm talking about breaking out in fist fights. All were eventually fired because they could not adjust to a work environment.

2seaoat

Before I retired we hired about 25 welfare to work women. It was so awful. They cussed and fought literally on the job. I'm talking about breaking out in fist fights. All were eventually fired because they could not adjust to a work environment.

It really is a lot harder to break the cycle of poverty than most folks realize. Folks who have NEVER been in the work force need hours and hours of training to break the cycle. Just today I stopped for lunch. The cashier was lost. Combined with her not understanding her job, she did not even fully understand how important her function was......she oozed of I do not care. After completely screwing up my order and me waiting 5 minutes extra, a supervisor was talking to her, and all I could hear were lame excuses for her inattention to the basic requirements of her job. I do not know if this person will ever be able to work, but we must invest in training and give people tools to break the cycle of poverty.

At 15 dollars an hour... a touch screen for the customer will be a bargain.

2seaoat

At 15 dollars an hour... a touch screen for the customer will be a bargain.

I have heard a person order a big mac, and then when his big mac arrives, he claims he ordered a quarter pounder. A touch screen with the mean level of intelligence in America could be a disaster for a business.

2seaoat wrote:At 15 dollars an hour... a touch screen for the customer will be a bargain.

I have heard a person order a big mac, and then when his big mac arrives, he claims he ordered a quarter pounder. A touch screen with the mean level of intelligence in America could be a disaster for a business.

Anybody that can't operate a picture operated touch screen should only eat food with a wooden spoon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum