Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Windows 10 Adventure

+2
PBulldog2
ZVUGKTUBM
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My Windows 10 Adventure Empty My Windows 10 Adventure 8/22/2015, 1:57 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I installed Windows 10 on my Computer on Sunday, August 9. I took advantage of the free upgrade offered by Microsoft to Windows 7 users.

The installation went well, and I didn't lose any data except for the events on my calendar program and my score for a solitaire game I play.

I used the new OS for 5 days, and then found my computer frozen on start-up. It was totally dead, showing no blinking lights and just the ASUS moniker on my monitor (I use an ASUS widescreen monitor). I am usually able to fix my own computer issues, but this stumped me. I tried recycling the start switch in vain.... It was dead.

I defaulted to a standby laptop we have, and made plans to take my desktop tower to Southeastern Computers on Palafox Street. They told me they had serious backlog, but to bring it in.

Skip at Southeastern is a fine gentleman, and when he got to my computer, he found nothing wrong with it. Skip told me how Windows 10 updates, compared to other versions. It automatically updates, and incorporates the updates the next time you restart your computer. However, with Windows 10, your computer will stay idle ("act dead") for several minutes while the updates are quietly incorporated, and then it suddenly springs to life.

This same thing happened to me this morning. I just got my computer back up yesterday afternoon. When I pushed the start button on my computer, a light flashed and then nothing happened. A full seven minutes later, my machine came to life as new updates were finally completed. You would think Microsoft would at least have a little note appear on your careen to tell you to please wait while the updates are finished.

Other than this and the $43 it cost me to have my machine looked at, I kind of like Windows 10.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 8/22/2015, 2:03 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Hmmmm......I'm stil leery about updating. How is the Windows Edge browser? Is it an improvement over Chrome and Firefox?

3My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 8/22/2015, 2:57 pm

I never update until I buy a whole new system. There always seems to be bugs and crap galore. I am fine with Windows 7. It's like my iphone...I just leave it alone and it works just fine. It probably seems lame, but what fix it if it is not broken?

4My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 8/22/2015, 3:00 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

You get both Internet Explorer and Windows Edge. I don't care for the fact that Edge does not allow you to open multiple browsing windows. You open one browsing window and then can only open new tabs. I don't care for this, so I only use Internet Explorer.

I would like to be able to open multiple browsing windows and still be able to use tabs if I want to.

5My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 8/22/2015, 3:04 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Obamasucks wrote:I never update until I buy a whole new system. There always seems to be bugs and crap galore. I am fine with Windows 7. It's like my iphone...I just leave it alone and it works just fine. It probably seems lame, but what fix it if it is not broken?

As conservative as you are, I am surprised you are not still using Windows 95. "...You'll pry my cold dead fingers off of my mouse before you take away my Windows 95..."

6My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 8/22/2015, 3:14 pm

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Obamasucks wrote:I never update until I buy a whole new system. There always seems to be bugs and crap galore. I am fine with Windows 7. It's like my iphone...I just leave it alone and it works just fine. It probably seems lame, but what fix it if it is not broken?

As conservative as you are, I am surprised you are not still using Windows 95. [i]"...You'll pry my cold dead fingers off of my mouse before you take away my Windows 95..."

Not surprising. You can't even discuss a computer program without spewing hate. Grow up.

7My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 8/22/2015, 4:07 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:Not surprising.  You can't even discuss a computer program without spewing hate.  Grow up.

My Windows 10 Adventure 30590010

8My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 8/31/2015, 11:33 am

Sal

Sal

Apparently, it's spyware disguised as an OS ...

It’s been a couple of weeks since the launch of Windows 10 and the numerous voices raising concerns over privacy and how it uses personal data are not getting any quieter.

Many of the concerns stem from the fact that if users follow the software’s recommendations and stick to default settings while installing their free upgrade, they are effectively giving Microsoft permission to directly monitor pretty much everything they do on their machines. This includes offline activity such as editing files stored locally in private folders on your computer, as well as everything you do online.

It doesn’t stop there, though. As well as monitoring and storing records of this activity, people installing the upgrade are - perhaps unknowingly if like many they have become complacent about reading privacy policies – giving Microsoft permission to share it with unspecified “partners”, for unspecified reasons.

Although the terms and conditions are incredibly vague about why they are doing this, it’s become clear there are several reasons. These include collecting personal data for targeted advertising purposes (by Microsoft or their partners) as well as to gain a deeper understanding of how their products are being put to use by their millions of users.

Privacy in the cloud

Windows 10, running under its default settings, is clearly designed to learn as much about us as it can. The rapid spread of cloud-based software-as-a-service platforms, such as Microsoft’s own Office 365 and Adobe’s Creative Suite, has introduced us all to the idea of software providers gathering data on how we use their products. However integrating this kind of monitoring into the core of the OS (Operating System) takes things to a whole new level. We might have got used to the idea that our activity within the container of a certain program or service is being analysed somewhere, by someone, for some reason. But the fact that this level of scrutiny is now applied to everything we do on our computers is causing many commentators and online security experts to issue warnings.

Even the contents of your emails and documents stored in private, offline folders can be subject to scrutiny and “disclosure” (to unspecified parties), according to the wording of Microsoft’s privacy policies. Of course, it’s quickly become apparent that this is why Microsoft, which has traditionally charged users around $100 to upgrade to the latest version of their OS has, in an uncharacteristic act of generosity, given it away for free. $100 multiplied by the 14 million who updated in the first day alone is clearly a lot of revenue for them to pass up on. However, while the strategical soundness of some of Microsoft’s recent actions have been questioned, this was far from a stupid move on their part. And there’s no such thing as a free lunch. Of course Microsoft want payment for using their services, only this time they are happy to take it in personal data rather than cash.

One new concept users are becoming aware of is the Personal Advertising ID. Every user on every installation of Windows 10 is assigned one of these, and if you use other Microsoft devices such as a phone, tablet or Xbox games console, your data will be scooped up from those too. By default, details on every web site you visit, your physical location, every command you type or speak to the computer and countless other data points are recorded and uploaded to Microsoft. From there, they will be shared with producers of apps you download and give permission to run on your system, as well as advertisers.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/windows-10-microsofts-big-data-grabbing-spying-os-bernard-marr

also ...

Starting today, Microsoft is offering most Windows 7 and Windows 8 users a free upgrade to the software giant’s latest operating system — Windows 10. But there’s a very important security caveat that users should know about before transitioning to the new OS: Unless you opt out, Windows 10 will by default prompt to you share access to WiFi networks to which you connect with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends.

This brilliant new feature, which Microsoft has dubbed Wi-Fi Sense, doesn’t share your WiFi network password per se — it shares an encrypted version of that password. But it does allow anyone in your Skype or Outlook or Hotmail contacts lists to waltz onto your Wi-Fi network — should they ever wander within range of it or visit your home (or hop onto it secretly from hundreds of yards away with a good ‘ole cantenna!).

I first read about this over at The Register, which noted that Microsoft’s Wi-Fi Sense FAQ seeks to reassure would-be Windows 10 users that the Wi-Fi password will be sent encrypted and stored encrypted — on a Microsoft server. According to PCGamer, if you use Windows 10’s “Express” settings during installation, Wi-Fi Sense is enabled by default.

“For networks you choose to share access to, the password is sent over an encrypted connection and stored in an encrypted file on a Microsoft server, and then sent over a secure connection to your contacts’ phone if they use Wi-Fi Sense and they’re in range of the Wi-Fi network you shared,” the FAQ reads. ...

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

Get a Mac.

9My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 8/31/2015, 12:08 pm

MAC

Although I'm having a battery issue. As it gets low and near the point of needing to be plugged in, I get the rainbow circle of death.

Expensive to have a new battery installed? I will not attempt it myself.

10My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 8/31/2015, 1:17 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I am actually learning to like Windows 10. I am no gamer, but I do have a rather supersonic processor (AMD 8 core/4GHZ/64-bit), and a boatload of RAM (16 GB).

The guy at the computer shop did something good to my machine when I took it in a couple of weeks ago, because it has been running like a top since. AMD processors are known to run hot, and my fans were revving real fast if I had many programs open. It's now not revving and running cooler than it was.

I am happy with it.

11My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 9/5/2015, 1:06 pm

dumpcare

I haven't dowloaded yet but a co worker has and she has had nothing but problems. Just found this on yahoo, this might help.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/13-windows-10-bugs-microsoft-c1249735918542902.html

12My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 9/5/2015, 5:22 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I t does seem to go wonky on you sometimes, after automatic updates. It happened again just the other day, and I thought I was having a problem again. I restarted my machine, and things were fine.

Windows 10 is growing on me, and if it becomes as stable as Windows 7 was, it will be a winner.

13My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Try it 9/5/2015, 6:49 pm

Hallmarkgard

SheWrites wrote:MAC

Although I'm having a battery issue.  As it gets low and near the point of needing to be plugged in, I get the rainbow circle of death.  

Expensive to have a new battery installed?  I will not attempt it myself.

I know what you said but just watch a you tube video on changing the battery. Order one from amazon or Ebay(don't buy the cheapest) and do it. Not hard at all and pretty much fail proof. Just a thought...

14My Windows 10 Adventure Empty Re: My Windows 10 Adventure 9/6/2015, 12:40 pm

Hallmarkgard wrote:
SheWrites wrote:MAC

Although I'm having a battery issue.  As it gets low and near the point of needing to be plugged in, I get the rainbow circle of death.  

Expensive to have a new battery installed?  I will not attempt it myself.

I know what you said but just watch a you tube video on changing the battery.  Order one from amazon or Ebay(don't buy the cheapest) and do it.  Not hard at all and pretty much fail proof.  Just a thought...

I watched it. But I bring the fail to fail proof. Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum