Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

dumpcare

http://www.news-press.com/story/money/2015/06/19/companies-use-foreign-worker-visas-fill-florida-positions/28990941/

Ever heard of Hertz, Chico's FAS, FGCU or Lee Memorial Health System?

Those are among the dozens of companies doing business in Southwest Florida to seek employees through H-1B work visas, with the number of workers on these visas in the region appearing to be in the hundreds.

The visa is designed to be used for foreign workers in "specialty occupations," which require highly specialized knowledge, but that can be misleading.

The occupation list includes architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social science, biotech, medicine and health, education, law, accounting, business specialties, theology, and the arts.

Other recognizable businesses in Southwest Florida to apply for these visas include 21st Century Oncology, Algenol Biofuels, Arthrex and NeoGenomics.

Employers with jobs in the tech sector tend to use these visas more than any other and workers from India more than any other country are using them.

Critics of the H-1B visa say it takes jobs away from American workers, contend outsourcing companies are taking advantage of the system and say that employers are saving money by paying foreign workers lower wages.

The H-1B program was in the news earlier this month, thanks to a story in The New York Times that used Orlando's Disney World as an example of abuses in the system.

About 250 Disney employees were told that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on H-1B visas — those workers were brought in by an India-based outsourcing firm and some Disney employees were required to train their replacements.

U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, a Democrat, asked for the Department of Homeland Security to investigate the visa program after The New York Times story emerged.

In May, about 35 tech workers at Disney/ABC Television in New York and Burbank, Calif., were told they would be laid off and that during their final weeks would have to train immigrants brought in by an outsourcing firm. That training began, but was suspended. On June 11, the Disney employees learned their layoffs had been canceled.

Infosys Ltd., the India-based outsourcing firm that's the top user of H-1B visas — filing 73,109 applications from fiscal year 2011 to 2014 — is doing business right here in Lee and Collier counties. Infosys has 43 listings when searching for Naples on myvisajobs.com, an employment website for immigrants, and 13 when searching for Fort Myers.

Infosys is one of the companies being investigated by the U.S. government over whether it violated labor and immigration laws by replacing American workers with foreigners using these visas.

Overall, the list of Labor Condition Applications in Southwest Florida for the H-1B program tracked by myvisajobs.com runs the gamut of what one might expect: software developers, analysts and other "tech" jobs, for example, to perhaps the unexpected: Scripps Media (Naples Daily News) hiring a multimedia journalist, Mercato Cinema seeking a president and marketing manager, with FGCU hiring assistant professors in communications and philosophy/religion.

Artis-Naples sought to hire a lecturer and a curatorial research associate and at one point looked to hire a CEO/president using the H-1B visa.

Myvisajobs.com bills itself as the largest and most trusted employment website for immigrants. It uses modeling methods to analyze millions of working visa petitions and job openings from visa sponsors.

Lee County Electric Cooperative, which recently sought a database administrator, power engineer and programmer analyst using H1-B visas, responded to questions via email.

"It has always been a challenge to fill the technical utility-related positions," according to the company. "We are doing our part to provide input to students and educators at the high school and college levels indicating the types of careers that are available and the skills that are needed in the utility industry."

LCEC recruits locally and nationally, and takes advantage of local networking and job-fair opportunities. Positions are posted nationally and national search firms are used, but the cooperative finds the competition fierce. LCEC has had positive experiences with workers here on H-1B visas.

"These workers are dedicated toward doing a good job," according to the utility, adding all LCEC employees are compensated fairly and equitably. Workers here on H-1B visas "are engaged and appreciate the opportunity to work in the utility industry."

Sabra Smith, director of human resources for London Bay Homes, used the program on behalf of Algenol Biofuels while working in a similar HR role for the Fort Myers-based company.

"The way that I always looked at the H-1B visa was when I couldn't fill the position," she said. "I always had an immigration attorney assist me. The application itself was quite complicated. You wanted to make sure you went through every nit and gnat of it."

Smith was surprised to hear about Disney's use of an outsourcing firm to displace American workers, but lamented that there are always going to be some people who don't do the right thing.

"At Algenol, I couldn't find chemical engineers in Southwest Florida. And they're difficult to find in the entire country," she said. "The preference was always that if we could find someone domestically, we would."

Smith felt an obligation to hire a qualified American worker whenever possible, even though the H-1B visa program does not require an employer to make a case that such a worker can't be found.

"If you really want somebody and you think they're the best candidate, the question boils down to, 'Is there someone here locally who can do that job?' she said. "That's the question that should be reviewed when these H-1B applications are filed."

My law firm probably represents a big chunk of companies in Southwest Florida who hire foreign professionals or foreign graduates in the H-1 category," said Casey Wolff, an immigration attorney and partner in the Naples firm of Paulich Slack & Wolff.

Although the cap has fluctuated over the years, "the H-1 was never, ever pegged to supply and demand," Wolff said, noting the demand can vary widely depending on economic conditions. "It was pegged to random numbers supplied by Congress."

As the nation's economy has recovered in recent years, Wolff said Congress should have worked to increase the cap.

"U.S. companies are finding a shortage of U.S. workers," he said. "This is huge. It indicates Congress is ignoring the business community."

Wolff thinks it's surprising that there might be many employers who are not following the program's requirements.

"There's nobody more miserable to deal with than the Department of Labor," he said, contending the agency uses massive bureaucratic checks and balances to protect U.S. jobs and wages. The department, he noted, has to certify an application in order for an employer to have a chance to hire a worker on such a visa.

"One of the magic boxes there is 'we have not laid off any workers to hire these people,' " he said, adding these are sworn statements.

"If Disney did that, why don't they just put a gun to their heads?" he said, adding he knows many of the headhunters at Disney and found the story surprising. "If it did, someone needs to be taken behind the oak tree."

Norma Brenne Henning of the Naples-based Henning Law Firm said filing fees and attorneys fees make for an expensive application process.

"In my experience, it hasn't really happened that an employer applies for one that they don't have a critical need," said Henning, speaking while on her way to an immigration conference in Washington, D.C.

In the case of her clients in Southwest Florida and other parts of the state, she said, employers are hiring foreign workers directly, rather than dealing with an outsourcing firm, as was the case with Disney.

"Attorneys have been watching these job-shop people," Henning said. "I'm amazed how long this has been going on. Why have they not been audited? The system needs an overhaul, I think everybody can agree on that. It's just a matter of how to go about doing it."

History and controversy

Congress created the H-1B program in 1990 to enable U.S. employers to hire temporary, foreign workers in specialty occupations. The law capped the number of H-1B visas issued per fiscal year at 65,000. Since then, the cap has sometimes fluctuated with legislative changes.

The window for new applications opens once a year, on April 1. The window closes once the cap is met for that year — it's now set at 65,000 visas, with 20,000 more reserved for people with advanced degrees. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services won't accept any more new applications until the next April. Successful applicants get their visas on Oct. 1 of the calendar year, the start of the new federal fiscal year.

Republican U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, a presidential candidate, has co-sponsored legislation to raise the cap.

While the H-1B visa is not considered a permanent visa, H-1B workers can apply for extensions and pursue permanent residence in the U.S.

Companies eager to hire foreign talent, mostly in the tech sector, and workers hoping for jobs in the U.S. have found ways to game a government lottery used to distribute a limited number of visas each year, according to a story earlier this month in The Wall Street Journal.
Immigration lawyers involved in the process, according to the WSJ story, said they have helped firms file multiple H-1B skilled-worker visa applications for the same person. This gives them a better chance of landing one of the limited number of these visas. Some workers, meanwhile, are accepting offers from multiple employers, each of whom files a petition on their behalf, the lawyers say. Such practices are not illegal, but illustrate a loophole in the system.

An employer seeking to file an H-1B visa petition must first file a Labor Condition Application with the Department of Labor.

For purposes of the program, the department's regulations define a specialty occupation as one that requires theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor's degree or higher degree (or its equivalent) in the specific specialty as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the U.S.

This year, nearly 233,000 foreigners applied for the H-1B visa. That's up from 2014 (172,500 applications) and nearly double the applicants from two years ago (124,000). This year, the cap was reached April 7 and the cap lottery selection process was completed less than a week later.

Have any conversation about the H-1B program, and wages are sure to come up. Critics contend a key reason companies use the program is to save money by paying a foreign worker a smaller wage.

Christopher Westley, an economics professor at FGCU and director of the Regional Economic Development Research Institute, suspects companies are saving money, even with program requirements that foreign workers be paid a "prevailing wage."

"When a firm hires somebody, often the applicant comes with baggage," he said. "Whenever we apply for a job, in our minds we have a reservation wage — we need at least this much. American workers have a higher reservation wage than they have in the past. Many of them have a student loan problem."

Connect with this reporter: email clogan@news-press.com or follow on Twitter @caseylo

Among the recognizable Southwest Florida companies to have applied to use the H-1B visa:

• 21st Century Oncology

• Algenol Biofuels

• Arthrex

• Artis-Naples

• Chico's FAS

• Florida Gulf Coast University
• Florida SouthWestern

State College

• Hertz

• Lee County Electric Cooperative

• Lee Memorial Health System

• Mercato Cinema

• NeoGenomics

• Scripps Media

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTi5Comfsr_9ITq237bEb1XAaONoD4NbxQYpVcuSnLfLhj_48DX

They're only doing the jobs educated American workers are unwilling to do... and they're doing it legally.

*****FART*****
IN SAL's & BOARD's GENERAL DIRECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXg6UB9Qk0o

Smile

I say more power to them and there should be a lot more of these visas, with citizenship opportunities available, issued.

dumpcare

I either think your are bullshitting me or you did not read the article, you do not lay off american worker's from  tech positions and rehire with these people.

I am sure seaoat will side with you on this.

Looks like classic fascism to me. Large corps buying influence to stack the deck... screw the US and up profits.

Just wait until we're allowed by our dear leaders to see what obama's tpp will do... it'll make nafta look good.

ppaca wrote:I either think your are bullshitting me or you did not read the article, you do not lay off american worker's from  tech positions and rehire with these people.

I am sure seaoat will side with you on this.

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbTfvDo_SkRbSj_vwYyNX10Ig2CDZiiM8UZGHgM7XfyT17BO0t9Q

I'm completely serious and I believe you're wrong about Seaoat's stance on this issue.

Heard too often how someone who's been doing the job isn't qualified because they don't have a sheepskin from some fabulous college or university so the position is filled by some ditz who does and can't even tie their own shoelaces while the other is demoted and is supposed to do 'the job' for the one who has the sheepskin. Then the college educated one needs a 5, 10, and in some cases 20% pay raise because they have that sheepskin and they are given it. So let's open those floodgates and let some educated ones in who are willing to work for less so long as they can become citizens in 5 to 10 years if they can prove themselves.

If the educated Ameican's don't like the reduced pay that this labor abundance brings about they are free to seek employment elsewhere... Perhaps the food service industry?

*****FART*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7qkQewyubs

Smile

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 6/21/2015, 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNfCcwKmU9g_bXTa8RfWBI_-Q06YzqwCZP8iOLdT9cKlGSYEmy

Though in actuality I suspect the real reason you oppose opening the floodgates to all those educated ones is that you just don't want those little brown and yellow bags of garbage to come here. They have a name for people that feel that way... I believe Seaoat calls it racist.

*****FART*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR4sm66SfsA

Smile

KarlRove

KarlRove

[quote="ppaca"]I either think your are bullshitting me or you did not read the article, you do not lay off american worker's from  tech positions and rehire with these people.

I am sure seaoat will side with you on this.[/quote

DISNEY has already done this...laid off Americans and hired foreigners.

dumpcare

I know PD.

You may be right DE.

I knew someone in Destin that ran a company bringing I believe J-1's into the country to work in the service industry and them all sorts of promises, in the end they would put upwards of about 20 in a house where most had to sleep on floors. Yes, they could not get american worker's to do low paying jobs, but the company's that hired them were not replacing them, they simply did not have a workforce.

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLv_i_U1dsZ_YH7DsgqoZgNQCQ0opAyPDSA6dLR-61wh7XoYWW

I'm thinkin' the health care industry and public education system is a good place to start handing out pink slips to replace educated workers with H1B's who are willing to work for 50% less. We'll just have the government give any current disgruntled displaced employees who sue for breach of contract six months pay as compensation.

*****FART*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg

Smile

2seaoat

This issue is complex.  We have 6 million technical jobs which cannot be met because of the failure of the American education system and how we pass the student loans.  We should make loans easily available for high demand technical occupations.  We should make loans for basket weaving very limited.  Instead we have a trillion dollar student debt and structural unemployment.  Fix student loans and prioritize educational dollars spent.

I spend the winter in Collier and Lee County......you rarely get an American in restaurants or the service industry, so the abuses of these visas are obvious as I have watched buses fill up with employees who cannot afford to live in the two counties as they are bussed in everyday.  Labor exploitation is big business, and Hertz is building a big new building, and if they can pretend and screw the american worker....they will, but on the flip side we need to be globally competitive and rather than fix the educational problem we apply band aids which really are easy to abuse.

2seaoat wrote:This issue is complex.  We have 6 million technical jobs which cannot be met because of the failure of the American education system and how we pass the student loans.  We should make loans easily available for high demand technical occupations.  We should make loans for basket weaving very limited.  Instead we have a trillion dollar student debt and structural unemployment.  Fix student loans and prioritize educational dollars spent.

I spend the winter in Collier and Lee County......you rarely get an American in restaurants or the service industry, so the abuses of these visas are obvious as I have watched buses fill up with employees who cannot afford to live in the two counties as they are bussed in everyday.  Labor exploitation is big business, and Hertz is building a big new building, and if they can pretend and screw the american worker....they will, but on the flip side we need to be globally competitive and rather than fix the educational problem we apply band aids which really are easy to abuse.

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMbuH5ovoK9W5e45casfvE-_HF59w_659jdLpn03GwYQbPuht5cg

It's not complex at all. Open the damn floodgates to the educated from around the world who are willing to come here and fill those jobs educated Americans are unwilling to fill for the pay offered. Oh!!!!! I see... You just don't want those little brown and yellow pieces of garbage coming here.

*****FART*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NaQZojWi6U

Smile

2seaoat

No, I have no problem with visas where Americans who are qualified are not getting displaced by folks who want to exploit the labor market......there are structural realities of unemployment which can be solved, and a strong educated and productive American workforce is the best defense policy in the world which does not involve requiring more government teat suckers.   A vibrant and growing GDP can support and protect America.  The article talks about trying to hire a database person.....I had this problem in 2001 and could not get one qualified person from the local Junior College who knew how to build and maintain a SQL database.......and when I went to the library, they had computer books from the 1960s talking about card readers.......no our problem is this idea of general education is the solution, and President Obama wants to make more student loans.....this is not the solution.  We need student loan prioritization and limitation.   We need some student loans with higher interest rates and loans which can be discharged in bankruptcy......I have no problem with immigrants....they built this country.....legal and illegal.

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyyqfC3y0IdFZZv0bkyOGgeFMjm3yl4J8FOBd4OTQo-ozzgCmp

I have no problem displacing the educated workers, especially in the health care industry and public education system, with people who will do it for less pay. Most of the ones currently holding those positions appear to be progressives who support your amnesty for illegal immigrants program. They should be glad to provide employment opportunities to other minority groups that represent groups other than the unskilled and skilled labor in this country. The racism and bigotry being shown here towards the educated foreign worker by yourself and other progressives is unbecoming. Just calling it like it is when I see true racism.

*****FART*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

Smile

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 6/22/2015, 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsP9K5O2kLcHug9HZdf11HJb21OcGd-5EqVavHzaNdK69oScXv

It appears the progressives just want to continue the status quo of having the white man dominate the higher paying jobs that require some sheepskin that says they're special.

Yep! Racism is alive and well in the progressive dixiecrat agenda.

*****FART*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEPV4kolz0

Smile

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQN-kndl_rmkibCR9TPy5dZBicVOpJkEM6PzWdAYfLQlA_IeD4f

*****FART*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8MO7fkZc5o

Smile

2seaoat

Its good to have you back......it confirms that even sick puppies are welcome and given equal opportunity to spew hate.....but you have to work on the substance....it does matter.

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbgKJvG4Cf8VtyVapuE3sFpAS9cCkCGN-3FfHvztHa_rXCKbYE

High praise from the Grand Master of Hate.

Has you wife laid out your robes and emblem for that midnight meeting?

The only hate being spewed here is the dog whistle you call complexity to refuse people from around he world the opportunity to come to the United States and build a new life as you hide behind your wall of bigotry and hatred of those brown and yellow people who talk funny...

*****FART*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmM1_BiuqXs

Smile

Damaged Eagle wrote:

It appears the progressives just want to continue the status quo of having the white man dominate the higher paying jobs that require some sheepskin that says they're special.

Yep! Racism is alive and well in the progressive dixiecrat agenda.

*****FART*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEPV4kolz0

Smile

Do H-1B visas steal jobs from American workers? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRHcfY5Y7QkECJPT71VHFRbhN6PHLJyW8g8CN4lpKADmqPWYcG

So do those sheepskins from the various liberal colleges and universities have the Confederate flag with 'I wish I was in Dixie' microprinted on them somewhere for those special honored progressive graduate sheepskins?

*****FART*****
IN ALL PROGRESSIVE's GENERAL DIRECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-s51B66Sl4

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum