Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

“Why Obama Failed in Middle East”

+3
KarlRove
boards of FL
gatorfan
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

gatorfan

Some issues are beyond any outsiders control however Obama’s haphazard and often hesitant approach to major issues he could have influenced has created an enormous vacuum in the Middle East.

“From the Arab Spring, to Syria, to Iran, to the peace process, President Barack Obama's actions have yet to live up to his high-flying rhetoric.”

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/04/02/why-obama-failed-in-the-middle-east/

boards of FL

boards of FL

Do you have a functioning brain with the capacity to recall memory?  We were lead into the pre-emptive war in Iraq by the Bush administration.  This is true no matter how many articles you dig up from 2013.  It is simply amazing the degree to which republican apologists are attempting to pass the blame on what is probably the worst foreign policy blunder in modern times.  One would think that they would prefer to 1) stop bringing it up and 2) evolve on the issue of military engagement in the middle east.  But, alas.  Here they are, bringing it up every day while simultaneously pushing for yet another pre-emptive war in the middle east.   And should republicans get the war that they want with Iran, I can guarantee you that it will be an even worse disaster for our country and the world than Iraq has been, and I can assure you that cognitively challenged republican apologists will place the blame on whatever democratic president is elected to clean everything up....again.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:Do you have a functioning brain with the capacity to recall memory?  We were lead into the pre-emptive war in Iraq by the Bush administration.  This is true no matter how many articles you dig up from 2013.  It is simply amazing the degree to which republican apologists are attempting to pass the blame on what is probably the worst foreign policy blunder in modern times.  One would think that they would prefer to 1) stop bringing it up and 2) evolve on the issue of military engagement in the middle east.  But, alas.  Here they are, bringing it up every day while simultaneously pushing for yet another pre-emptive war in the middle east.   And should republicans get the war that they want with Iran, I can guarantee you that it will be an even worse disaster for our country and the world than Iraq has been, and I can assure you that cognitively challenged republican apologists will place the blame on whatever democratic president is elected to clean everything up....again.

You poor demented child. Didn't read the article? I guess it was too long and too complicated for you to understand.

You make assumptions without facts - as usual. I'm not a "republican" nor an apologist for that dead party - far from it. Bush was an idiot for going into Iraq again, I've said it many times but you are too afflicted with Obama Mania to remember. I fought in Desert Storm and the LAST thing I ever wanted to see was our troops getting engaged again in the M/E, you have never been man enough to wear anything but a girl scout uniform.

Go play with some numbers or something girly boy and stay away from issues you don't understand unless you are willing to act like an adult about the discussion..

KarlRove

KarlRove

All Democrats have is excuses. Nothing can be BHOs fault. It's amazing the pity party the Dems have going right now.

boards of FL

boards of FL

KarlRove wrote:All Democrats have is excuses. Nothing can be BHOs fault. It's amazing the pity party the Dems have going right now.

Do you agree with the current crop of republican presidential candidates when they say that Iraq was a mistake and that if they could go back in time they would not have invaded Iraq?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

boards of FL wrote:
KarlRove wrote:All Democrats have is excuses. Nothing can be BHOs fault. It's amazing the pity party the Dems have going right now.

Do you agree with the current crop of republican presidential candidates when they say that Iraq was a mistake and that if they could go back in time they would not have invaded Iraq?

I am waiting for the first of them to finally throw George W. Bush under the bus over Iraq. They have to in order to switch the debate to more pertinent issues. Iraq will continue to be a nagging question holding Republicans back until it is settled. Embarassed

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

boards of FL wrote:Do you have a functioning brain with the capacity to recall memory?  We were lead into the pre-emptive war in Iraq by the Bush administration.  This is true no matter how many articles you dig up from 2013.  It is simply amazing the degree to which republican apologists are attempting to pass the blame on what is probably the worst foreign policy blunder in modern times.  One would think that they would prefer to 1) stop bringing it up and 2) evolve on the issue of military engagement in the middle east.  But, alas.  Here they are, bringing it up every day while simultaneously pushing for yet another pre-emptive war in the middle east.   And should republicans get the war that they want with Iran, I can guarantee you that it will be an even worse disaster for our country and the world than Iraq has been, and I can assure you that cognitively challenged republican apologists will place the blame on whatever democratic president is elected to clean everything up....again.

Good post, Boards!

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Another Zionist hit piece on Obama...so predictable.

gatorfan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Good post, Boards!

How cute! BoF butt buddy chimes in with - nothing....

gatorfan

Floridatexan wrote:

Your response.......so predictable.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

boards of FL

boards of FL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote: They have to in order to switch the debate to more pertinent issues. Iraq will continue to be a nagging question holding Republicans back until it is settled.

Unfortunately, republicans have nothing to offer in way of policy outside of war in the middle east and taking away health insurance for millions of Americans. Oh, and tax cuts. Can't forget those.

Isn't that right, KarlRove? Outside of the issues above, you still can't name any policy that you support, can you?

There is a word for that:

Low information voters, also known as LIVs or misinformation voters, are people who may vote, but who are generally poorly informed about politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_information_voter

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:Go play with some numbers or something girly boy and stay away from issues you don't understand unless you are willing to act like an adult about the discussion..

In the same sentence that you refer to me as a "girly boy", you go on to suggest that I act like an adult. Further, you're telling me to stay away from issues that I don't understand within a thread that you created that is titled "Why Obama Failed in Middle East".

The irony here is thick.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:Go play with some numbers or something girly boy and stay away from issues you don't understand unless you are willing to act like an adult about the discussion..

In the same sentence that you refer to me as a "girly boy", you go on to suggest that I act like an adult.  Further, you're telling me to stay away from issues that I don't understand within a thread that you created that is titled "Why Obama Failed in Middle East".

The irony here is thick.

That's pretty weak there BoF but then that's not unusual for you since you never seem to have a loaded gun at your disposal so you throw some more marbles.

From your previous post:

"Do you agree with the current crop of republican presidential candidates when they say that Iraq was a mistake and that if they could go back in time they would not have invaded Iraq?"

Do you believe Hillary when she says her Yes vote was a mistake? I don't believe any of them...

Let's have a quick look at the facts:

Candidates or possible candidates who voted on the Iraq AUMF

Hillary Clinton (yes), Bernie Sanders (No); Lindsey Graham (yes); Lincoln Chafee (no), Rick Santorum (yes), Joe Biden (yes).

Of course all candidates (with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight) can now say they wouldn’t have supported it given currently available information.

Why? Because all of them are politicians and will say anything to grab another vote.

Does it matter? No – you can’t undo the damage with words and whether they would or did vote yes doesn't apply to future issues since these matters tend to be unique.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

gatorfan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

For one thing, I researched the author. I like to know what their background is...where their argument is originating. This particular author has a history of "advising" on Middle East policy...setting himself up as an expert, when all he really seems to be doing is regurgitating the same old Netanyahu propaganda. I did see the name George H W Bush, but nowhere was there any reference to W...a glaring omission. You really should try reading between the lines...and learning to look for buzzwords. What exactly did you find in that narrative that led you to post it here?

gatorfan

Floridatexan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

For one thing, I researched the author.  I like to know what their background is...where their argument is originating.  This particular author has a history of "advising" on Middle East policy...setting himself up as an expert, when all he really seems to be doing is regurgitating the same old Netanyahu propaganda.  I did see the name George H W Bush, but nowhere was there any reference to W...a glaring omission.  You really should try reading between the lines...and learning to look for buzzwords.  What exactly did you find in that narrative that led you to post it here?

The article discusses situations and policy weaknesses that have created more issues than if the situation had been handled differently - or handled at all.

The author was a state department employee advising both Democrat and Republican Presidents on middle east issues. He gives Obama credit when due and criticizes when necessary.

He is not "setting himself up as an expert" - he is an expert. You find it easy to dismiss news you apparently don't like based on your interpretation of the messengers qualifications. Hmmmm.

Aaron David Miller:

Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
Middle East Program (The Wilson Center http://www.wilsoncenter.org/)

CONTACT INFORMATION:
aaron.miller@wilsoncenter.org
T 202/691-4040 // F 202/691-4001
EXPERTISE:
U.S. Politics; U.S. Foreign Policy; Middle East and North Africa; Israel; Palestinian Authority
AFFILIATION:
Historian, analyst, negotiator, and former advisor to Republican and Democratic Secretaries of State on Arab-Israeli negotiations, 1978-2003.
WILSON CENTER PROJECT(S):
The End of Greatness: Why America Can’t Have and Doesn’t Want Another Great President Macmillan/Palgrave (Fall 2014)
Aaron David Miller is currently the Vice President for New Initiatives and a Distinguished Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. Between 2006 and 2008, he was a Public Policy Scholar when he wrote his fourth book The Much Too Promised Land: America's Elusive Search for Arab-Israeli Peace (Bantam, 2008). His other books include The Arab States and the Palestine Question: Between Ideology and Self Interest, The PLO and the Politics of Survival, and The Search for Security, Saudi Arabian Oil and American Foreign Policy.

For the prior two decades, he served at the Department of State as an advisor to Republican and Democratic Secretaries of State, where he helped formulate U.S. policy on the Middle East and the Arab-Israel peace process, most recently as the Senior Advisor for Arab-Israeli Negotiations. He also served as the Deputy Special Middle East Coordinator for Arab-Israeli Negotiations, Senior Member of the State Department's Policy Planning Staff, in the Bureau of Intelligence and Research, and in the Office of the Historian. He has received the department's Distinguished, Superior, and Meritorious Honor Awards.

Mr. Miller received his Ph.D. in American Diplomatic and Middle East History from the University of Michigan in 1977 and joined the State Department the following year. During 1982 and 1983, he was a Council on Foreign Relations fellow and a resident scholar at the Georgetown Center for Strategic and International Studies. In 1984 he served a temporary tour at the American Embassy in Amman, Jordan. Between 1998 and 2000, Mr. Miller served on the United States Holocaust Memorial Council. After leaving the state department, Mr. Miller served as president of Seeds of Peace from January 2003 until January 2006. Seeds of Peace is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young leaders from regions of conflict with the leadership skills required to advance reconciliation and coexistence (www.seedsofpeace.org).

His media and speaking appearances include CNN (including "American Morning," "Wolf Blitzer Reports,") "The Newshour with Jim Lehrer," FOX News, "The NBC Nightly News," "CBS Evening News," National Public Radio, the BBC, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Al Arabiya, and Al Jazeera. Mr. Miller has also been a featured presenter for the World Economic Forum in Davos and Amman, Harvard University, Columbia University, New York University, University of California at Berkeley, The City Club of Cleveland, Chatham House, and The International Institute for Strategic Studies. His articles have appeared in newspapers, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and The International Herald Tribune.

KarlRove

KarlRove

gatorfan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

For one thing, I researched the author.  I like to know what their background is...where their argument is originating.  This particular author has a history of "advising" on Middle East policy...setting himself up as an expert, when all he really seems to be doing is regurgitating the same old Netanyahu propaganda.  I did see the name George H W Bush, but nowhere was there any reference to W...a glaring omission.  You really should try reading between the lines...and learning to look for buzzwords.  What exactly did you find in that narrative that led you to post it here?

The article discusses situations and policy weaknesses that have created more issues than if the situation had been handled differently - or handled at all.

The author was a state department employee advising both Democrat and Republican Presidents on middle east issues. He gives Obama credit when due and criticizes when necessary.

He is not "setting himself up as an expert" - he is an expert. You find it easy to dismiss news you apparently don't like based on your interpretation of the messengers qualifications. Hmmmm.

Aaron David Miller:

Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
Middle East Program (The Wilson Center http://www.wilsoncenter.org/)

CONTACT INFORMATION:
aaron.miller@wilsoncenter.org
T 202/691-4040 // F 202/691-4001
EXPERTISE:
U.S. Politics; U.S. Foreign Policy; Middle East and North Africa; Israel; Palestinian Authority
AFFILIATION:
Historian, analyst, negotiator, and former advisor to Republican and Democratic Secretaries of State on Arab-Israeli negotiations, 1978-2003.
WILSON CENTER PROJECT(S):
The End of Greatness: Why America Can’t Have and Doesn’t Want Another Great President Macmillan/Palgrave (Fall 2014)
Aaron David Miller is currently the Vice President for New Initiatives and a Distinguished Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. Between 2006 and 2008, he was a Public Policy Scholar when he wrote his fourth book The Much Too Promised Land: America's Elusive Search for Arab-Israeli Peace (Bantam, 2008). His other books include The Arab States and the Palestine Question: Between Ideology and Self Interest, The PLO and the Politics of Survival, and The Search for Security, Saudi Arabian Oil and American Foreign Policy.

For the prior two decades, he served at the Department of State as an advisor to Republican and Democratic Secretaries of State, where he helped formulate U.S. policy on the Middle East and the Arab-Israel peace process, most recently as the Senior Advisor for Arab-Israeli Negotiations. He also served as the Deputy Special Middle East Coordinator for Arab-Israeli Negotiations, Senior Member of the State Department's Policy Planning Staff, in the Bureau of Intelligence and Research, and in the Office of the Historian. He has received the department's Distinguished, Superior, and Meritorious Honor Awards.

Mr. Miller received his Ph.D. in American Diplomatic and Middle East History from the University of Michigan in 1977 and joined the State Department the following year. During 1982 and 1983, he was a Council on Foreign Relations fellow and a resident scholar at the Georgetown Center for Strategic and International Studies. In 1984 he served a temporary tour at the American Embassy in Amman, Jordan. Between 1998 and 2000, Mr. Miller served on the United States Holocaust Memorial Council. After leaving the state department, Mr. Miller served as president of Seeds of Peace from January 2003 until January 2006. Seeds of Peace is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young leaders from regions of conflict with the leadership skills required to advance reconciliation and coexistence (www.seedsofpeace.org).

His media and speaking appearances include CNN (including "American Morning," "Wolf Blitzer Reports,") "The Newshour with Jim Lehrer," FOX News, "The NBC Nightly News," "CBS Evening News," National Public Radio, the BBC, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Al Arabiya, and Al Jazeera. Mr. Miller has also been a featured presenter for the World Economic Forum in Davos and Amman, Harvard University, Columbia University, New York University, University of California at Berkeley, The City Club of Cleveland, Chatham House, and The International Institute for Strategic Studies. His articles have appeared in newspapers, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and The International Herald Tribune.

Just like Daniel Pipes...he is a world recognized ME expert. They didn't like the message that Obama lost Ramadi either.

Markle

Markle

Just HAVE to lie don't you?

As for the worst foreign policy blunder in modern times. That would be Adolph Hitler.

For the United States that would be Vietnam.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:

As for the worst foreign policy blunder in modern times.  That would be Adolph Hitler.

I didn't lie about anything. The Bush administration lead us into the pre-emptive war in Iraq and it has in fact been disastrous. Republican apologists are in fact trying to spread blame for that and they are in fact pushing for yet another war in the middle east.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:For the United States that would be Vietnam.

Not according to LtGen Gregory Newbold, USMC (Ret.). General Newbold wrote an opinion piece that was published in Time Magazine in 2006. I can no longer link directly to the article, but the text can be found here:

Why Iraq Was A Mistake
By Lieutenant General Greg Newbold (Retired)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.obituaries/_xxKc2GthAo

...From 2000 until October 2002, I was a Marine Corps lieutenant general and director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff. After 9/11, I was a witness and therefore a party to the actions that led us to the invasion of Iraq--an unnecessary war. Inside the military family, I made no secret of my view that the zealots' rationale for war made no sense. And I think I was outspoken enough to make those senior to me uncomfortable. But I now regret that I did not more openly challenge those who were determined to invade a country whose actions were peripheral to the real threat--al-Qaeda. I retired from the military four months before the invasion, in part because of my opposition to those who had used 9/11's tragedy to hijack our security policy. Until now, I have resisted speaking out in public. I've been silent long enough....

I had some brief interface with Newbold during the 1980s when our units were deployed to the same area of the Philippines. In 2006, I managed to find his email address and write him a letter supporting him for speaking out in Time, and he remembered who I was and sent me a response, thanking me. He was not the only serving or retired USMC general who was against the hare-brained Bush/Cheney scheme to invade Iraq.

KarlRove

KarlRove

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

As for the worst foreign policy blunder in modern times.  That would be Adolph Hitler.

I didn't lie about anything.  The Bush administration lead us into the pre-emptive war in Iraq and it has in fact been disastrous.  Republican apologists are in fact trying to spread blame for that and they are in fact pushing for yet another war in the middle east.  

...and Obama was handed a stable ME region that he pissed away. Nuf said.

boards of FL

boards of FL

KarlRove wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

I didn't lie about anything.  The Bush administration lead us into the pre-emptive war in Iraq and it has in fact been disastrous.  Republican apologists are in fact trying to spread blame for that and they are in fact pushing for yet another war in the middle east.  

...and Obama was handed a stable ME region that he pissed away. Nuf said.

Bush was handed a stable ME as well. The only difference being that the stable ME that was given to Bush did not require trillions in defense spending, thousands of American lives, and an open ended occupation.

Obama, on the other hand, was handed an ongoing occupation that was in fact costing thousands of American lives, trillions of dollars in defense spending, and with no end in sight. Fortunately for Americans, and the world, Obama had the good sense to get us out of that republican foreign policy disaster.

Even the current crop of republican presidential candidates now acknowledge that the invasion of Iraq was a mistake.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

KarlRove wrote:...and Obama was handed a stable ME region that he pissed away.

Stable? Laughable! There were more than 100 terrorist incidents in Iraq during 2008; about one every third day. Most of them suicide bombings or car bombings that killed multiple civilians at a whack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorist_incidents_in_Iraq_in_2008

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

boards of FL wrote:Even the current crop of republican presidential candidates now acknowledge that the invasion of Iraq was a mistake.

It won't be long before the leading Republican contenders are going to have to throw George W. Bush under the bus over Iraq. They will eventually need to do this in order to survive and even remain in contention for 2016.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

In the same sentence that you refer to me as a "girly boy", you go on to suggest that I act like an adult.  Further, you're telling me to stay away from issues that I don't understand within a thread that you created that is titled "Why Obama Failed in Middle East".

The irony here is thick.

That's pretty weak there BoF but then that's not unusual for you since you never seem to have a loaded gun at your disposal so you throw some more marbles.

From your previous post:

"Do you agree with the current crop of republican presidential candidates when they say that Iraq was a mistake and that if they could go back in time they would not have invaded Iraq?"

Do you believe Hillary when she says her Yes vote was a mistake? I don't believe any of them...

Let's have a quick look at the facts:

Candidates or possible candidates who voted on the Iraq AUMF

Hillary Clinton (yes), Bernie Sanders (No); Lindsey Graham (yes); Lincoln Chafee (no), Rick Santorum (yes), Joe Biden (yes).

Of course all candidates (with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight) can now say they wouldn’t have supported it given currently available information.

Why? Because all of them are politicians and will say anything to grab another vote.

If you can't trust anyone, then I suppose a good litmus test to determine which candidates truly believe that Iraq was a mistake and which do not would be to look at the policy that they propose towards the middle east, wouldn't it? Those that push for diplomatic solutions probably do believe that Iraq was a mistake. Those that push for war with Iran are probably full of shit.

2seaoat

you have never been man enough to wear anything but a girl scout uniform.

This gets to the essence of the sad condition many former military have deeply ingrained in their values. I served in the military. I am a good person. You did not serve in the military and you are a bad person. In social psychology this is called balance theory. The only way gator can find balance is to put a high value on military engagement. A high value on those who engaged. A low value on those who did not engage. So if Boards puts a low value on military engagement, a high value on those who served and wants to avoid future unnecessary losses of our most prized children, and believes that military engagements in the future are very inefficient and unnecessary, he too has achieved balance.

So a policy of disengagement where we value our citizen's blood and we value our treasury, and we think the Military should be curtailed causes those who have served to have a hard time finding balance without attacking those who want disengagement. The use of failed foreign policy, inconsistencies, and chaos have all been used. However, when you were elected by two landslides to disengage, there are few who are wearing girl scout uniforms. The mere putting on a uniform no more makes you a girls scout or a hero.....sorry to break the news 99% of all those who have served were basically support and bystanders in actual combat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum