Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is the nature of all existence?

+10
TEOTWAWKI
Granny4Peace
VectorMan
Yella
Slicef18
Sal
polecat
boards of FL
gulfbeachbandit
Hospital Bob
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That question has always said it all for me. I have built a personal religion out of not having any answer to that question. Not having that answer is the heart and soul of my own religion.

But others have other answers and other religions. This thread is for all of us (who choose to participate) to share our own answers to that question. And for all of us to discuss those answers.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Too easy Bob.
The correct answer is: To get as much as you can from the government without giving them anything in return.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

I used to think that we were put here to help others. Then I wondered what were the others put here for?
Now I just don't know.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Damn, ghandi, now I REALLY can't figure which PNJ poster you are. Shocked

boards of FL

boards of FL

ghandi wrote:I used to think that we were put here to help others. Then I wondered what were the others put here for?
Now I just don't know.

Will you be voting for Romney in the upcoming election?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:
ghandi wrote:I used to think that we were put here to help others. Then I wondered what were the others put here for?
Now I just don't know.

You really have to be an old fart like me to appreciate this reference. But guessing who ghandi is is now getting to be like "I've Got A Secret" or "What's My Line". The idea being that if we can think of enough questions to ask him and he answers them truthfully, hopefully we'll figure it out. I like this. But it'll only work if he answers the questions truthfully. lol

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Would Ghandi lie? I think not.

ghandi wrote:Would Ghandi lie? I think not.
Would Ghandi have a rifle?

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Just for shooting squirrels and what not. A mans got to eat.

Last edited by ghandi on 6/14/2012, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

polecat

polecat

the-nature-of-all-existence
is to eat good fried chicken

Sal

Sal

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." - T.J.

I think that's about right.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

polecat wrote:the-nature-of-all-existence
Describe the circumstances of the best fried chicken you ever et, polecat? Was it from a restaurant kitchen or a home kitchen?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

salinsky wrote:"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." - T.J.

I think that's about right.
But what happens when human reason cannot provide the answer to the question in the thread title? And so far it has not. And I doubt it ever will.

I have faith in an "unknowable". My human intellect (and ability to reason) has no capacity to know it. But I have faith in it nonetheless.

Slicef18

Slicef18

"To develop,reproduce and die"
However, if it is lucky it will have a chance to imprint something better.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Actually, I'm registered as an independent and have not decided who to vote for yet. But I won't vote for obama. Not even if he's the only one running.
boards of FL wrote:
Now I just don't know.

boards of FL

boards of FL

yootou

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

I prefer to think of myself as the poster formerly known as gulfbchbandit.
boards of FL wrote:yootou

Yella

Yella

Everything changes but change.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ghandi wrote:I prefer to think of myself as the poster formerly known as gulfbchbandit.
Awesome. gulfbeachbandit.
You and I have been polar opposites on some stuff and together as two peas in a pod on other stuff. I like it. lol

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

I have been here two days and haven't been jabbed at yet. Will that change now that others know who I really am?
NaughtBob wrote:
ghandi wrote:I prefer to think of myself as the poster formerly known as gulfbchbandit.
Awesome. gulfbeachbandit.
You and I have been polar opposites on some stuff and together as two peas in a pod on other stuff. I like it. lol

VectorMan

VectorMan

To realize and remember that no matter where you go, there you are.

I stole that from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Sal

Sal

But what happens when human reason cannot provide the answer to the question in the thread title? And so far it has not. And I doubt it ever will.

I have faith in an "unknowable". My human intellect (and ability to reason) has no capacity to know it. But I have faith in it nonetheless.[/quote]

I suppose I have a higher opinion of the capacity of human reason and imagination. All of the mysteries of the corporeal universe follow physical laws and are therefore knowable.

Sal

Sal

[/quote]
Describe the circumstances of the best fried chicken you ever et, polecat? Was it from a restaurant kitchen or a home kitchen?[/quote]

I grew up in the suburbs of Louisville, on a quiet dead-end street. Our neighbors next-door were transplants from Birmingham, and had a boy about the same age as I. During the summers they would occasionally invite me to stay for supper. The boy's mother was a charming southern lady who would serve us fried mini-drumsticks by the dozen, with mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob, fried okra, biscuits, and sweet tea. It was in the early days of home air-conditioning, and I can still remember the comforting hum of the window unit they had mounted in the kitchen. That was the best fried chicken that I ever had, and now that I think about it, may indeed have something to do with the true nature of existence. LOL.
Razz

Last edited by salinsky on 6/14/2012, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

salinsky wrote:I suppose I have a higher opinion of the capacity of human reason and imagination. All of the mysteries of the corporeal universe follow physical laws and are therefore knowable.

There is nothing about the "corporeal universe" which explains the nature of all existence. The "corporeal universe" is nothing but a word concept of the human intellect. I'm not knocking the human intellect because it's all we've got so it would be an absurdity to knock it. But only making the observation that it has limitations. And knowing the nature of all existence is definitely one of those limitations. And probably always will be.

polecat

polecat

NaughtBob wrote:
polecat wrote:the-nature-of-all-existence
Describe the circumstances of the best fried chicken you ever et, polecat? Was it from a restaurant kitchen or a home kitchen?

Aunt Bess in Holmes county years ago fixed the best fried chicken and there always seem to be some in her kitchen, I can not ever remember going there and her not having any. You went into her kitchen and opened the stove and there would be a plate covered with a paper towel with what we did not know at the time but it was a free range chicken from her yard. White acer peas & corn bread... dam I could go on and on but good food & family what else do you need. OK some Makers Mark.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum