Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Beautiful Snow

+3
2seaoat
Sal
knothead
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A Beautiful Snow Empty A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 12:02 pm

knothead

knothead

Because of family illness my wife and I have come to our place in Kentucky near the Land Between the Lakes area. Presently we have about eight inches but it is continuing to snow a minimum of an inch per hour. By NE standards I understand this is not a significant event but in this area it is very significant.
The storm and snow will retreat late this afternoon followed by several days with single digit temps.
The sheer beauty of such a snowfall is breath taking and always has been to me . . . . . just this morning I saw three deer meandering through the woods behind our place certainly in search for food but still just seeing them was wondrous to me. It just takes me back to my boyhood to awaken to the delight of a beautiful snow fall . . . . .
My plan is to suit up this afternoon and get my blower and clear our decks and walkways followed by salt I purchased yesterday . . . . I will freeze to death but I will enjoy it immensely! The down side to me is it puts in jeopardy a planned trip tomorrow to Knoxville to watch KY play TN . . . . dang I want to make that trip!

2A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 12:10 pm

Sal

Sal

Beautiful area.

I'm actually currently mulling over a job offer in Paducah.

Glad I'm not there now.

I do not miss the snow.

Sunny and 76 here today.

Maybe I shouldn't be mulling over that job offer.

3A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 12:15 pm

2seaoat

I'm actually currently mulling over a job offer in Paducah.

Good poker room across the river in Metropolis. The cold is bitter in Illinois. I leave for AZ on Friday for 10 days. The robins were out last week, but they have it wrong.......we are weeks away from warmer weather.

4A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 12:23 pm

It was -21° here saturday night.

5A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 12:30 pm

knothead

knothead

Yes it is cold and miserable for a few weeks but having spent my early years here I accept that it is a part of the beauty of having four distinct seasons . . . this snowfall is gorgeous but treacherous . . . . . in a few weeks it will become so green it hurts the eye and will explode with activity . . . . . I'm hunkered down but gonna accept the circumstance.

6A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 12:32 pm

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:It was -21° here saturday night.

Where the hell are you . . . . . Saskatchewan? Can't be Texas!!!

7A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 12:32 pm

KarlRove

KarlRove

by knothead Today at 1:02 pm
Because of family illness my wife and I have come to our place in Kentucky near the Land Between the Lakes area. Presently we have about eight inches but it is continuing to snow a minimum of an inch per hour. By NE standards I understand this is not a significant event but in this area it is very significant.
The storm and snow will retreat late this afternoon followed by several days with single digit temps.
The sheer beauty of such a snowfall is breath taking and always has been to me . . . . . just this morning I saw three deer meandering through the woods behind our place certainly in search for food but still just seeing them was wondrous to me. It just takes me back to my boyhood to awaken to the delight of a beautiful snow fall . . . . .
My plan is to suit up this afternoon and get my blower and clear our decks and walkways followed by salt I purchased yesterday . . . . I will freeze to death but I will enjoy it immensely! The down side to me is it puts in jeopardy a planned trip tomorrow to Knoxville to watch KY play TN . . . . dang I want to make that trip!
----
So much for global warming all this record cold

8A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 12:34 pm

knothead wrote:

At the 45th parallel in northern michigan... half way between the equator and the north pole.

9A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 12:35 pm

knothead

knothead

KarlRove wrote:by knothead Today at 1:02 pm
----
So much for global warming all this record cold

Why didn't you add that it is Obama's fault PeeDawg? lol

10A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 3:22 pm

Hallmarkgard

Some of my most vivid memories are of standing, watching the snow falling, covering the ground in northern Japan. The snow covered everything making the small city look so smooth. The air was crystal clear, the stars seemed to within a arms grasp. It also seemed to make every thing so very quiet. I stood in awe at a part of nature that was new to me. In some ways,It used to remind me of watching the surf roll in and made me think about the power of nature. Good post Mr Knothead...

11A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 6:16 pm

2seaoat

The silence of a deep snow, clear sky, and cold temps in Northern Wisconsin are spectacular to take an evening hike. I am sure Pk has done the same in Michigan, but Hallmark is so right about the way snow seems to muffle any sound.

12A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 7:00 pm

knothead

knothead

We appreciate the silence and beauty of new fallen snow and Hallmark is pot on with his post. However, notwithstanding that it is a beautiful climactic event I am now dealing with its downside:

My wife asked what I was going to do while putting on my boots, bibs, and Northface jacket and I explained that I was going to clear the decks, walkways, dig out our two vehicles and then apply salt on our steps and deck so we could come and go. In a word . . . . . that did not work out so well. I forget that I am not the man I used to be . . . . not even close . . . . . so aggravating. My hands and feet both got so cold that it was extremely painful. Because I do not have a 'snow' shovel I tried using my leave blower. Well that was a stupid idea so I retrieved my rigid rake and was able to clear some snow when I got the bright idea to crank my Jeep, let it heat up and I would then have a warm place to retreat to for 10 minutes of warmth. No sooner had I got it fired up and returned to my snow moving I realized I now had to take a leak. I thought "Good Lord what next" so being on Flomax I had little time to resolve the issue. With completely numb fingers I managed to open the fly on my CarHarts but still had to manipulate the ole zipper on my jeans move my T shirt out of harms way find Willy . . . . . OMG! Without giving graphic detail let me just say I was half successful! Now I am relieved but so cold it is hard to describe but I hate like the dickens to weenie out and come back in after accomplishing so little. Within five short minutes I said 'Uncle' . . . . I am so done. The decks and walkways remain buried with over a foot of snow but after an hour inside my feet are again warm. Now I MUST go back out in this to retrieve my camera that was around my neck when I initially began but it was in the way so I took it off and placed on top of my riding mower in the shed.

I am trying to continue my belief that Snow is Beautiful but am losing ground on that score!

13A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 7:38 pm

I had a four foot drift on my back deck that blew off the lake and was blocking my view. I was sweating good.

My beer tastes better now too.

14A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 7:43 pm

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:I had a four foot drift on my back deck that blew off the lake and was blocking my view. I was sweating good.

Grrrrrrrrr . . . . . . getting old sucks pkr.

15A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 7:46 pm

knothead

knothead

knothead wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I had a four foot drift on my back deck that blew off the lake and was blocking my view. I was sweating good.

I must add that the alternative sucks more!!!

16A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 8:48 pm

knothead wrote:
knothead wrote:

I must add that the alternative sucks more!!!

I'll be sore tomorrow... I've lost alot of strength this year.

17A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 10:46 pm

Hallmarkgard

I also know about the "dark" side of the snow LOL Later in about 1972, I took a contract job in Emporia Kansas. I had 67 Dodge Dart with "Big 10" recapped tires. First big snow, I slid down the drive way an into a snow bank, I got it going again and thought that cutting across the front yard would be a good Idea. It was not. I got really stuck. All the tire spinning and cursing was to no avail. My neighbour came over to help me. His first words were "You are not from around here, are you? I wonder how he knew?

18A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/16/2015, 11:10 pm

PkrBum wrote:
knothead wrote:

At the 45th parallel in northern michigan... half way between the equator and the north pole.

A Beautiful Snow Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRap0ZC6Manzw2BF7cCTiHaK-_yWaqsZB7OlWMmeGzq6v6dqnhTAA

I didn't realize that. Hell we're almost neighbors when it comes to latitude. Been so cold here it almost make you feel that you're...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSt0NEESrUA

Very Happy

19A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/17/2015, 12:30 pm

knothead

knothead

Damaged Eagle wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
knothead wrote:

A Beautiful Snow Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRap0ZC6Manzw2BF7cCTiHaK-_yWaqsZB7OlWMmeGzq6v6dqnhTAA

I didn't realize that. Hell we're almost neighbors when it comes to latitude. Been so cold here it almost make you feel that you're...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSt0NEESrUA

Very Happy  

It certainly is not as cold as where pkr is but it got down to minus 5 last night and going down to minus 8 tonight . . . . . that's too darn cold for me!

20A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/17/2015, 1:55 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Daughter and sil are going to Sugar Mountain in the am.....it's 8 degrees now.

21A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/17/2015, 2:09 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sleeting in Gulf Breeze.

22A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/17/2015, 6:06 pm

knothead

knothead

Joanimaroni wrote:Sleeting in Gulf Breeze.

Stay in stay safe joani . . . .

23A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/17/2015, 6:41 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Don't worry.....I hate the wet damp cold.

24A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/17/2015, 7:41 pm

Vikingwoman

knothead wrote:We appreciate the silence and beauty of new fallen snow and Hallmark is pot on with his post. However, notwithstanding that it is a beautiful climactic event I am now dealing with its downside:

My wife asked what I was going to do while putting on my boots, bibs, and Northface jacket and I explained that I was going to clear the decks, walkways, dig out our two vehicles and then apply salt on our steps and deck so we could come and go.  In a word . . . . . that did not work out so well.  I forget that I am not the man I used to be . . . . not even close . . . . . so aggravating.  My hands and feet both got so cold that it was extremely painful.  Because I do not have a 'snow' shovel I tried using my leave blower.  Well that was a stupid idea so I retrieved my rigid rake and was able to clear some snow when I got the bright idea to crank my Jeep, let it heat up and I would then have a warm place to retreat to for 10 minutes of warmth.  No sooner had I got it fired up and returned to my snow moving I realized I now had to take a leak.  I thought "Good Lord what next" so being on Flomax I had little time to resolve the issue.  With completely numb fingers I managed to open the fly on my CarHarts but still had to manipulate the ole zipper on my jeans move my T shirt out of harms way find Willy . . . . . OMG!  Without giving graphic detail let me just say I was half successful! Now I am relieved but so cold it is hard to describe but I hate like the dickens to weenie out and come back in after accomplishing so little. Within five short minutes I said 'Uncle' . . . . I am so done.  The decks and walkways remain buried with over a foot of snow but after an hour inside my feet are again warm. Now I MUST go back out in this to retrieve my camera that was around my neck when I initially began but it was in the way so I took it off and placed on top of my riding mower in the shed.

I am trying to continue my belief that Snow is Beautiful but am losing ground on that score!

LOL! Willy left the building,huh?

25A Beautiful Snow Empty Re: A Beautiful Snow 2/18/2015, 9:21 am

knothead

knothead

Vikingwoman wrote:
knothead wrote:We appreciate the silence and beauty of new fallen snow and Hallmark is pot on with his post. However, notwithstanding that it is a beautiful climactic event I am now dealing with its downside:

My wife asked what I was going to do while putting on my boots, bibs, and Northface jacket and I explained that I was going to clear the decks, walkways, dig out our two vehicles and then apply salt on our steps and deck so we could come and go.  In a word . . . . . that did not work out so well.  I forget that I am not the man I used to be . . . . not even close . . . . . so aggravating.  My hands and feet both got so cold that it was extremely painful.  Because I do not have a 'snow' shovel I tried using my leave blower.  Well that was a stupid idea so I retrieved my rigid rake and was able to clear some snow when I got the bright idea to crank my Jeep, let it heat up and I would then have a warm place to retreat to for 10 minutes of warmth.  No sooner had I got it fired up and returned to my snow moving I realized I now had to take a leak.  I thought "Good Lord what next" so being on Flomax I had little time to resolve the issue.  With completely numb fingers I managed to open the fly on my CarHarts but still had to manipulate the ole zipper on my jeans move my T shirt out of harms way find Willy . . . . . OMG!  Without giving graphic detail let me just say I was half successful! Now I am relieved but so cold it is hard to describe but I hate like the dickens to weenie out and come back in after accomplishing so little. Within five short minutes I said 'Uncle' . . . . I am so done.  The decks and walkways remain buried with over a foot of snow but after an hour inside my feet are again warm. Now I MUST go back out in this to retrieve my camera that was around my neck when I initially began but it was in the way so I took it off and placed on top of my riding mower in the shed.

LOL! Willy left the building,huh?

That's being kind! What a predicament . . . . now it's funny but then? OMG

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum