Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Republicans are about to ‘Benghazi all over again’ on net neutrality

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/02/10/republicans-are-about-to-benghazi-all-over-again-on-net-neutrality/?tid=rssfeed

A week after the head of the Federal Communications Commission said he wants to apply strong rules on Internet providers, a Republican strategy is emerging to undermine the proposal.

The Republicans' new strategy looks much like the old: Argue that the FCC's proposed rules will stifle investment, hurt innovation and raise prices for consumers. FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai, a Republican, blasted the draft regulations as overly "interventionist" and "a gift to trial lawyers" in a rare news conference Tuesday.

But the game plan also comes with a twist: Critics will seek to tie the net neutrality proposal -- which aims to ban the blocking or slowing of Internet traffic -- to President Obama. The White House, they say, inappropriately pushed an independent agency to consider far more aggressive regulations than what it had initially proposed.

The two-pronged assault on the administration will be louder and far more combative than anything previously seen from conservatives on the issue, officials from inside and outside the agency say.

"It's going to be Benghazi all over again," said Harold Feld, senior vice president of the consumer group Public Knowledge.

The analogy isn't far off. In recent days, Senate and House Republicans have demanded the FCC turn over all correspondence between the agency and the White House on net neutrality, in an effort to uncover evidence of illegal coordination. And Nevada Republican Dean Heller, a member of the Senate committee that oversees the FCC, has introduced a bill that would force the FCC to reveal its draft net neutrality regulations weeks before they're scheduled to be made public at the agency's Feb. 26 monthly meeting.

The FCC declined to comment on the Republican efforts. A White House spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.

In another sign of how united conservatives are in their opposition to the proposal by FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, Republicans on the commission aren't likely to suggest a compromise version to the draft rules before the scheduled vote. Asked whether he'd seek proposed changes, Pai told reporters Tuesday that Wheeler has done little to solicit his input, and there's no reason to think his ideas would be accepted now.

"I'm not hopeful that over the next two weeks we'll be able to change course," Pai said.

The scope of the Republican offensive extends beyond the Beltway. Last week, Robert McDowell, a former Republican FCC commissioner, traveled to New York, where he met with hedge funds and Wall Street analysts to warn that the FCC's proposed rules could lead to the regulation of the prices that Internet providers charge consumers.

"That's the Achilles heel for broadband providers," McDowell said in an interview, adding that "Republicans will use every last minute" to persuade the FCC not to adopt the proposed rules. That will include last-minute lobbying, ad campaigns, letters from Capitol Hill and everything else in the standard Washington playbook.

Wheeler said last week that his proposal ensures the ability of consumers to access the services they want, while not unfairly burdening broadband providers.

But Sen. John Thune, chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, has called the FCC proposal a government "power grab" prompted by the "bully tactics of political activists and the president himself." Thune's uncharacteristically blunt statement foreshadows a much wider confrontation between the GOP and liberals who view net neutrality as a populist issue.

Thune and his counterpart in the House, Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), have been talking to key Democrats about legislation that would preempt FCC action on neutrality bill. But many Democrats are refusing to play along because they oppose a provision that would restrict the FCC's authority.

In some ways, the Republican push will resemble the sustained public pressure applied by net neutrality proponents to the FCC in the months leading up to Wheeler's proposal. Only this time, the arguments will revolve around the proposal's potential economic consequences and the alleged impropriety of the White House in intervening on the issue.

"Over the next two weeks it will be crazy," said an industry official, who asked not to be named in order to speak freely. "The commissioners and their legal teams, their calendars are filling up with meetings."

2seaoat

I watched Fox News covering this topic with the best doublespeak which even George Orwell would blush that his concepts could be so efficiently exercised.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Net Neutrality is taking away our freedom....to be gouged by monopoly ISPs....and to enjoy a new version of the internet that resembles the Cable model that people are leaving in droves!!!

The last thing I want is another leftist controlled govt agency deciding what's neutral or fair. Legislate the rules.

Simple... clear... a level playing field. The fcc says they won't enforce the more onerous title II regulations.

Ya sure... not yet. If there's one thing that's a given of our countless govt agencies... they continually seek more power.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:The last thing I want is another leftist controlled govt agency deciding what's neutral or fair. Legislate the rules.

Simple... clear... a level playing field. The fcc says they won't enforce the more onerous title II regulations.

Ya sure... not yet. If there's one thing that's a given of our countless govt agencies... they continually seek more power.

Would you rather the internet remain as it has since its inception or would you rather see it broken up into various tiers and packages that you have to pay for - similar to the Cable model that everyone hates?

2seaoat

Step one......read and become familiar with an issue. Step two......assess where the facts stand in regard to the issue. Step three.......state an opinion. Step four.......revisit step one.

At the present time bandwidth is closer to an electric utility than telecommunication. It is fair to pay more if you use more... that's how it works for the consumer. What I'd like to see in the future would be wide open equal access... which will develope quickly.

The last thing I'd like to see is an empowered govt agency regulating to rationalize its existence via overreach.

Keep it simple stupid.

Sal

Sal

ISPs are just the last mile connection, and it's obvious to anyone with a synapse left firing that they shouldn't get to be the content gate keeper.

Would you let the newspaper boy choose what pieces of the newspaper you get?

Would you let the phone company choose what pizza delivery you could call?

Would you let the electric company choose what brand of refrigerator you could use?

Would you let ISPs control what content you could access?

No?

Ergo - public utility.

Sal

Sal

I see Chaffetz as new chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is demanding FCC Chairman Wheeler turn over all communications with the White House.

Didn't someone on here say they thought it would be better now that Issa is no longer chair of the committee?

Meet the new stupid, same as the old stupid.

2seaoat

Keep it simple stupid.

There were quotes flying on talk radio this week about Comcast spending three cents and profiting 97 cents on current operations. I knew immediately that return on investor capital does not reflect these ratios because of the cost of delivery of internet to households. However, if the cable companies start using MESH technologies which do not have the high delivery costs, then in fact the 97/3 ratio would be very close to the truth. There is not much competition in broadband because about 95% of the backbone of pipe capacity sits unused. So when the nation's primary critical interests are controlled by a monopoly which in reality limits access to the backbone, and continues with artificially high prices for the benefit of those monopolies......it requires regualation. Not talking about net neutrality......rather talking about national interests being controlled by multinational corporations who with monopoly are hurting America.

The net neutrality argument goes to content control and access, but I am far more concerned with regulation which allows competition using new technologies which are wireless and not tied to this horrific cable political monopoly which goes right down to the local government level. For someone to think that the delivery of internet services has not already been regulated at the state and local levels needs to read. We need competition from the consumer to the backbone.....we need to stop the abusive behavior of the monopolies to limit this access, and lock up the competition for alternative wireless delivery of services. We cry about abuses in illegal dumping in trade negotiations with China, yet we allow these monopolies to cripple America. Is there some negatives to governement regulation. Yes, there are always examples of bad regulation......but we need to strive for excellence......which competition usually allows us to break the chains of monopolies and THEIR limited financial interests.

I think that last connection is going to be wireless and easily broad enough in much less than a decade.

What we'll be left with... if innovation isn't govt stymied... will be another layer of self-perpetuating bureaucracy.

What's wrong with some carefully crafted rules debated openly in congress? Why do y'all always want more govt?

2seaoat

Why do y'all always want more govt?

In this case it is clear. The profit margins are clear when the delivery is established. It is 97/3......unheard of in any industry, yet it is the huge cost of cable and traditional hard wired delivery which provides cover for these pirates which can legitimately show low ratios on return on capital. So cable and traditional phone hard wired delivery has a tremendous capital investment as they are strangling consumers with complete freedom, where the mesh technologies could be delivering huge portions of the unused backbone to Americans with huge gains in productivity and evolution of solutions which were unheard of twenty years ago when these wired solutions were locked up by MONOPOLY. I attempted in the early 2000 to get the FCC license transferred from a UF station a local community College which used the license from the 1970s to deliver education content to their districts. In Mexico City in 2000 these TV bands were servicing a million households wirelessly, with inexpensive modems and line of site. The entire monopoly could be removed overnight and the unused capacity of the backbone would open up with mesh and FCC assignments of unused UF stations. When the current regulators are owned by the monopolies, and the news that we get from broadcasts are controlled by the monopolies......are you serious why this must be addressed. You are not that uninformed.

You call me uninformed... while you are essentially placing your trust in a govt agency to simply establish the rules.

Lol... you don't have any idea what steps they'll take next with these self-appointed (and obama influenced) powers.

There's already talk of a "need" to monitor traffic to ensure compliance. Gawd y'all are a gullible bunch of idiots.

I bet a set of level field rules in a congressional bill would fill less than a page or two... have you read the fcc proposal?

Hell... it'll probably be shoved down our throats before anybody knows the entire scope... again. Uninformed... lol.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:What I'd like to see in the future would be wide open equal access... which will develope quickly.

Do you actually know what the term 'net neutrality' refers to?

In other news, I hate instant replay in sports.  It is just an excuse for statist lefist refs to further involve themselves in the game when the fan really only wants to see action on the field.  That said, I do appreciate the need for accuracy.  Instead of instant replay, I'd like to see some sort of thing put in place where we record video of every play from multiple angles, and then consult that video in cases where the action on the field was too close to call.  Things like this idea should be given a chance instead of instant replay, and the statist takeover of football.

How hard is it for you to grasp? I'D PREFER RULES BE MADE BY ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES IN OPEN CONGRESS... RATHER THAN BUREAUCRATS IN A GOVT AGENCY. It's getting old. Don't get an answer you want... pretend it isn't one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum