Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Do People Need To Ruin A Perfect Fall Day?

+3
TEOTWAWKI
Floridatexan
ZVUGKTUBM
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

It is crisp and sunny today. The air is clear, and our house is fully open to the outside air.

However... And it seems to never fail near my neighborhood... Someone decided to burn a large pile of oak leaves or yard-debris, and thoroughly pollute the neighborhood's atmosphere. The air inside the house is acrid and choking. If it gets any worse, we will be forced to close the house up and run the AC.

Folks in my neighborhood are entitled to have the ECUA come and pick up their yard debris. It is included with their monthly garbage fee. But, some have it ingrained in their heads that they must burn their yard debris instead of having it picked up.

This reminds me of the time when garbage pick up was not mandatory for my neighborhood... Back before 1992, I had neighbors who burned their household garbage in barrels in their back yard. That seriously hurt the air-quality index for about a square mile around their burn-barrel. Some people are just stuck in the 19th Century, I guess.

Right now, I just wish the wind would shift and blow these yahoos' smoke at someone else's house.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I have a lot of trees, and I burn fallen branches, but I never burn the green stuff because it smokes like crazy. Leaves get composted...I use the ash from the burnt branches in the mix...it's like lime. I also never burn anything treated.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Ahh the good old days when my parents and their friends would smoke up the house and car with smoke thicker than any bar I even been in.   Merry Christmas.

2seaoat

Growing up in towns and villages with many trees it was a tradition to rake and burn every fall. Even as a kid I remember riding in the school bus through a particularly heavy wooded area of town and not breathing for twenty minutes and having no visibility as the smoke just hung close to the ground with no wind. Since they removed my left upper lung lobe, I cringe each fall as people burn and we use the AC, and have invested in a particulate filter fan which we normally use in the bathroom which filters out smells and particulate matter in smoke. It is great. I think my wife got it at best buy, and since we have had it I can breathe inside the house as if no one is burning. If you are having trouble breathing, I strongly recommend the filter fans they sell at Best Buy.....I think they are around $100 and they are a life saver for people with pulmonary issues.

It's so dry I'd think people would know better than to burn. We've not had rain in a while.

Hate that smell. And I was a kid who grew up in the smoke filled house and car. I can only imagine what I smelled like. Shocked

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I'm SheWrites wrote:It's so dry I'd think people would know better than to burn.  We've not had rain in a while.

Hate that smell.  And I was a kid who grew up in the smoke filled house and car.  I can only imagine what I smelled like.  Shocked
Yeah I lived with pneumonia strep throat bronchitis and a chronic cough till I escaped

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Ahh the good old days when my parents and their friends would smoke up the house and car with smoke thicker than any bar I even been in.   Merry Christmas.

My grandmother's house was like that.

I remember Christmases when all the adults would sit around the kitchen table chain smoking and drinking Falls City beer all evening.

Visibility was quite low.

My son carpooled with a kid a couple of years ago whose parents smoked in the house.

When he got in the car, he always smelled like an ashtray.

2seaoat

My wife kept her wedding dress in her parents house after we were married. They chain smoked. She had it in a plastic bag, and twenty years after we were married and had our daughter who wanted to see her dress. She took it out of the plastic bag and the entire dress was stained with yellow smoke stains. The ceiling of their home was a yellow tint, and we would take our outer coats off before entering the house because they would stink after just 10 minutes in the home. They both lived to their late 80s and early 90s and our theory was no bacteria or cancer could survive in the house.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I grew-up in a smoking house, too. Yecchh!

My Mom was the oldest of 4 sisters. Three of the women became smokers (my Mom included), and one never smoked. Fast forward to 2014, and the one who never smoked is still alive, 85 years old, and lives by herself on a farm in Wisconsin. Her mind is still sharp, and I think she still drives.

The first of the three smokers to die was the youngest, at age 54 (1984). She had developed lung-cancer and died of complications within a year of having a lung removed. Next to go was my Mom, in 1996, at age 71--of colon-cancer. The third to die was my Aunt Barb (in 2009), who smoked until she breathed her last-breath, and who was beset with chronic COPD in her latter years.

I am glad I never started smoking as a young man. I played around with tobacco a lot--just never developed a habit, for which I am thankful.

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:My wife kept her wedding dress in her parents house after we were married.  They chain smoked.  She had it in a plastic bag, and twenty years after we were married and had our daughter who wanted to see her dress.   She took it out of the plastic bag and the entire dress was stained with yellow smoke stains.   The ceiling of their home was a yellow tint, and we would take our outer coats off before entering the house because they would stink after just 10 minutes in the home.   They both lived to their late 80s and early 90s and our theory was no bacteria or cancer could survive in the house.

I hate to tell you this Seaoat but the dress was yellowed because of age. You have to preserve a wedding dress w/ some kind of chemicals to stop it from not yellowing.I have some clothes in my closet that have yellowed w/ age on the shoulders. Some materials do that.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:My wife kept her wedding dress in her parents house after we were married.  They chain smoked.  She had it in a plastic bag, and twenty years after we were married and had our daughter who wanted to see her dress.   She took it out of the plastic bag and the entire dress was stained with yellow smoke stains.   The ceiling of their home was a yellow tint, and we would take our outer coats off before entering the house because they would stink after just 10 minutes in the home.   They both lived to their late 80s and early 90s and our theory was no bacteria or cancer could survive in the house.

My dry cleaner told me to never, ever keep clothes in a plastic bag for long term storage. They said to hang it where, whatever, wasn't crushed and cover in a sheet which will breathe and keep off dust and dirt.

Markle

Markle

I do love the smell of burning leaves.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I love the smell of cordite......

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:I do love the smell of burning leaves.

I am glad you don't live in my neighborhood. We know where the fire was and have complained to Escambia County Solid Waste before. If they light up the fire tomorrow, I will be calling the county. They will send someone out to make them put it out. You cannot do open burning within 300 feet of a structure in our county. My eyes were still burning hours after the major portion of the fire was out. This means it continued to put smoldering pollution into the neighborhood atmosphere.

You do not have the right to endanger the health of your neighbors because you want to do your own thing on your property.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

I am glad you don't live in my neighborhood. We know where the fire was and have complained to Escambia County Solid Waste before. If they light up the fire tomorrow, I will be calling the county. They will send someone out to make them put it out. You cannot do open burning within 300 feet of a structure in our county. My eyes were still burning hours after the major portion of the fire was out. This means it continued to put smoldering pollution into the neighborhood atmosphere.

You do not have the right to endanger the health of your neighbors because you want to do your own thing on your property.

I agree, Z...although I don't see anything wrong with outdoor fire pits, chimineas, etc. My fires are short-lived and don't put out much smoke, plus I wet the ground around the pit and keep the hose handy.

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I love the smell of cordite......

I do as well.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Poor baby.

If they're burn household garbage that's a different subject.

Burning leaves, lighten up. The neighborhood kids will probably love it too.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Now someone else is burning. The house is filling up with acrid smoke again.

Pensacola is full of Neanderthals who are stuck in the past. They already pay for yard debris pickup as a part of their monthly garbage fee, yet they persist in burning their yard-debris, because that is the way they always did it before.

All I can say is I hope the air pollution at their house is worse than it is at mine.

This always happens on crisp fall and spring days when you can open the house and allow fresh-air to flow through it. Some Yahoo lights-up his leaf pile. It was real bad before they instituted mandatory garbage pickup back in 1992, because then they would burn all their garbage, too--filling the neighborhood air with toxic fumes from burning plastic and whatever they threw on the fire.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Poor baby.

Burning leaves, lighten up.  The neighborhood kids will probably love it too.

You must be one of the Neaderthals I speak of in my post above [OMG--Cue Socrates!!!!!!]....

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Markle wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Poor baby.

Burning leaves, lighten up.  The neighborhood kids will probably love it too.

You must be one of the Neaderthals I speak of in my post above [OMG--Cue Socrates!!!!!!]

Does your community ban barbeque grills and fireplaces too? Outdoor fireplace?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum