Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

GOP set to win house record # of seats.....oh my

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/29745c3526304357bc1a93914fbeb656/gop-steers-toward-hefty-house-majority

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republicans claimed a commanding majority in the House on Tuesday, pushing their dominance to near-historic levels as they dispatched the last white Democrats in the South and made inroads in Democratic strongholds nationwide.

The GOP easily won the 218 seats required and was on track to match or surpass the 246 seats they held in President Harry S. Truman's administration more than 60 years ago. President Barack Obama will face an all-GOP Congress in his final two years as Republicans regained control of the Senate.

-----guess more golf will be on his agenda...LOL

bumpa

boards of FL

boards of FL

This is because members of the house are elected from districts rather than state-wide. Republicans have fought hard to gerrymander those districts over the last decade (because putting forth good policy ideas isn't an option). This is why democrats won the popular vote in 2012 but saw republicans take over the house in droves. If it turns out that democrats won the popular vote this time around as well, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

boards of FL wrote:This is because members of the house are elected from districts rather than state-wide. Republicans have fought hard to gerrymander those districts over the last decade (because putting forth good policy ideas isn't an option). This is why democrats won the popular vote in 2012 but saw republicans take over the house in droves. If it turns out that democrats won the popular vote this time around as well, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I guess they have to gerrymander when your team is 10-0 on voter fraud.

2seaoat

Pace.....I do not think you really appreciate what this midterm represented. First, there was 97% consensus by those who generated polls last year that the Republicans were going to take the senate. The senate has 6 year terms broken down to 1/3 of the senate up for election each two years. This was a Republican year because of retirements and the number of democrats exposed. 2016 will be a huge Democratic year because of the inverse of 2014. I imagine Democrats will pound their chest in 2016 that the people of this country rejected the Republicans, but the truth be told there is little which will change the results.

Now for the bad news. The average number of house seats gained in the 6 year midterm by the opposing party of the president is 29 seats. This has happened for both democrats and republicans. The net gain in this election was less than half those seats, yet you correctly acknowledge the highest number of Republican seats since WWII......which should have been about 15 seats higher had the averages been met. The truth be told this election happened EXACTLY as the pollsters predicted, and it will happen the same in 2016 where only 13 net seats out of the 23 Republicans exposed in swing states will give the Democrats a 60 vote margin. Again, there is virtually no way that a Republican presidential candidate can beat the demographics in regard to the electoral college, and that is almost a certainty for the democrats. However, I do not suspect that the house will be won back in 2016 unless a crazy runs as a Republican.

Since you and every liberal crowed that the GOP would never control Congress again, it's pretty substantial.

Excuses ..........................

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Since you and every liberal crowed that the GOP would never control Congress again, it's pretty substantial.

Don't you ever get tired of being seen as an idiot?

https://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/t17020-senate-will-go-53-republican-to-47-democrat-in-midterm

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:This is because members of the house are elected from districts rather than state-wide.  Republicans have fought hard to gerrymander those districts over the last decade (because putting forth good policy ideas isn't an option).  This is why democrats won the popular vote in 2012 but saw republicans take over the house in droves.  If it turns out that democrats won the popular vote this time around as well, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Skipped class in Civics didn't you? Senators and Representatives are elected by popular vote.

GOP set to win house record # of seats.....oh my WhineCartoon

2seaoat

Skipped class in Civics didn't you? Senators and Representatives are elected by popular vote.

That is correct. However, Boards clearly was referencing the total votes for the house which were Republican, and the total which were Democrat. This is the cumulative vote which is a statistical reference point, and not how the house is seated after an election. He made the concept crystal clear, but it is good to be reminded that our representatives are elected by popular vote. Thank you.

by boards of FL Yesterday at 6:41 pm
PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Since you and every liberal crowed that the GOP would never control Congress again, it's pretty substantial.

Don't you ever get tired of being seen as an idiot?

https://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/t17020-senate-will-go-53-republican-to-47-democrat-in-midterm
-----
Hey gumby, every post he made before last week when the handwriting was on the wall was total opposite. Do some research .... Oh yeah Wikipedia is your source of reference ... Never mind

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum