Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Not Again! Kerry uses the "Red Line" phrase again

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gatorfan

Why do they keep painting themselves into corners? In any case, I hope they stick to it this time.

"U.S. and Allies Form Coalition With Intent to Destroy ISIS"

NEWPORT, Wales — The Obama administration said Friday that the United States and its allies had formed a coalition to fight Sunni militants of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, unveiling a military and political campaign that officials said could serve as a model for combating extremist groups around the world.

In a hastily organized meeting on the sidelines of the NATO summit meeting here, diplomats and defense officials from the United States, Britain, France, Australia, Canada, Germany, Turkey, Italy, Poland and Denmark conferred on what they called a two-pronged strategy: working to bolster allies on the ground in Iraq and Syria, while attacking Sunni militants from the air. They said the goal was to destroy the Islamist militant group, not to contain it.

“There is no containment policy for ISIL,” Secretary of State John Kerry said at the beginning of the meeting, using an alternate acronym for ISIS. “They’re an ambitious, avowed, genocidal, territorial-grabbing, caliphate-desiring quasi state with an irregular army, and leaving them in some capacity intact anywhere would leave a cancer in place that will ultimately come back to haunt us.”

But he and other officials present made clear that at the moment, any ground combat troops would come from either Iraqi security forces or Kurdish pesh merga fighters on the ground in Iraq, or from moderate Syrian rebels opposed to the government of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria. “Obviously I think that’s a red line for everybody here: no boots on the ground,” Mr. Kerry said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/06/world/europe/nato-summit.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

gatorfan wrote:Why do they keep painting themselves into corners? In any case, I hope they stick to it this time.

"U.S. and Allies Form Coalition With Intent to Destroy ISIS"

NEWPORT, Wales — The Obama administration said Friday that the United States and its allies had formed a coalition to fight Sunni militants of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, unveiling a military and political campaign that officials said could serve as a model for combating extremist groups around the world.

In a hastily organized meeting on the sidelines of the NATO summit meeting here, diplomats and defense officials from the United States, Britain, France, Australia, Canada, Germany, Turkey, Italy, Poland and Denmark conferred on what they called a two-pronged strategy: working to bolster allies on the ground in Iraq and Syria, while attacking Sunni militants from the air. They said the goal was to destroy the Islamist militant group, not to contain it.

“There is no containment policy for ISIL,” Secretary of State John Kerry said at the beginning of the meeting, using an alternate acronym for ISIS. “They’re an ambitious, avowed, genocidal, territorial-grabbing, caliphate-desiring quasi state with an irregular army, and leaving them in some capacity intact anywhere would leave a cancer in place that will ultimately come back to haunt us.”

But he and other officials present made clear that at the moment, any ground combat troops would come from either Iraqi security forces or Kurdish pesh merga fighters on the ground in Iraq, or from moderate Syrian rebels opposed to the government of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria. “Obviously I think that’s a red line for everybody here: no boots on the ground,” Mr. Kerry said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/06/world/europe/nato-summit.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

BS there will be more boots on the ground.

2seaoat

BS there will be more boots on the ground.

No boots on the ground, and last time I checked......the President made a red line in Syria.........by golly those chemical weapons were taken out.

It really is killing people that the President is cautious and correct.

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:BS there will be more boots on the ground.

No boots on the ground, and last time I checked......the President made a red line in Syria.........by golly those chemical weapons were taken out.

It really is killing people that the President is cautious and correct.  

You're constantly improving ability to ignore reality and rewrite history is......interesting.

This is the real story about "Obama's not my red line" lie:

“I didn’t set a red line. The world set a red line.”

– President Obama, news conference in Stockholm, Sept. 4, 2013

“We have been very clear to the Assad regime, but also to other players on the ground, that a red line for us is we start seeing a whole bunch of chemical weapons moving around or being utilized. That would change my calculus. That would change my equation.”

– Obama, remarks to reporters, August 20, 2012

This is a puzzler. How can the president say he did not create a “red line” when his statement last year about a “red line” is one of the most famous statements of his presidency?"

No boots on the ground. LOL!

"Obama orders more troops to Iraq"

President Obama has ordered 405 additional U.S. troops to Iraq on Tuesday, bringing the total of U.S. forces authorized there to more than 1,000, the White House announced Tuesday.

The forces would provide security to the Baghdad Embassy Compound, and its support facilities.

"The President has made clear his commitment to doing whatever is required to provide the necessary security for U.S. personnel and facilities around the world," according to a statement by White House press secretary Josh Ernest.

Since mid-June, the Obama administration has authorized 775 U.S. troops to deploy to Iraq, after Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorists took over Mosul, and threatened to advance towards Baghdad.

Tuesday's order would bring the total U.S. troop number up to at least 1,125, which does not count the approximately 100 based at the embassy's Office of Security Cooperation in Iraq.

Read more: http://thehill.com/policy/defense/216472-obama-orders-350-more-troops-to-iraq#ixzz3CSVHErim

Sal

Sal

So, the Prez says that using chemical weapons is crossing a "red line", not only to the United States, but to all civilized nations.

And, then he's proven entirely correct when Assad uses such weapons, and even Russia is sufficiently outraged that they put the screws to him, and he loses his toys.

And now, "boots on the ground" no longer means combat troops, it means any and all personnel within borders.

When you want to play such fanciful rhetorical games, anyone and everyone is a liar.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum