Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I accidentally discovered this. It's Orson Welles talking about his "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Some background.  How I found this is googling Harry Houdini stuff after watching The History Channel's Houdini biopic the last two nights.
I learned that Houdini had taught magic skills to Welles when Welles was a youngster.  That's when I discovered that Orson Welles had done a tv show on the BBC in 1955.  The first episode I watched on youtube had Welles reminiscing about Houdini.

And from that I then found this youtube.  The BBC television program was called "Orson Welles' Sketchbook".  Among all his other talents,  Welles was a pretty good sketch artist.  So they created a show for him where he would do some sketches and then talk about what they represent to him.

This episode has Welles talking about his infamous broadcast which at this time (1955) had occurred some seventeen years earlier in 1938.
I could listen to Orson Welles for hours and this is a prime example of why.
And an added treat is how good the video and audio quality of this is being it's a kinescope from 1955.

BUT it's what comes at the end that is so compelling.  It's Orson Welles explaining to us why we should always be wary of blindly accepting whatever comes from media.  It makes me wonder what he would say about the cable tv news of today.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum