Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"What I did when the Police killed my son"

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/08/what-i-did-after-police-killed-my-son-110038.html#.U_OaJ6PQt6o

In over a hundred years in Wisconsin, only one police shooting was found to be wrong......the time for change is now. Not a witch hunt, but new standards and training, and ultimately accountability.

Good article... you have something important to learn from it if you're able. Try to concentrate on the core issue.

" Yes,there is good reason to think that many of these unjustifiable homicides by police across the country are racially motivated. But there is a lot more than that going on here. Our country is simply not paying enough attention to the terrible lack of accountability of police departments and the way it affects all of us—regardless of race or ethnicity. Because if a blond-haired,blue-eyed boy —that was my son, Michael —can be shot in the head under a street light with his hands cuffed behind his back,in front of five eyewitnesses (including his mother and sister),and his father was a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel who flew in three wars for his country —that’s me —and I still couldn’t get anything done about it,then Joe the plumber and Javier the roofer aren’t going to be able to do anything about it either."

There is a systemic abuse of power taking place in govt... all the while people like you chase shadows and ghosts.

2seaoat

We agree.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

In April of this year we passed a law that made Wisconsin the first state in the nation to mandate at legislative level that police-related deaths be reviewed by an outside agency. Ten days after it went into effect in May, local police shot a man sleeping on a park bench 15 times. It’s one of the first incidents to be investigated under the new law.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/08/what-i-did-after-police-killed-my-son-110038_Page2.html#ixzz3AsYt8hKR

We definitely need more accountability, outside investigations and better training and screening of officers. Some people are just not suited to this kind of work.

Great article.

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:In April of this year we passed a law that made Wisconsin the first state in the nation to mandate at legislative level that police-related deaths be reviewed by an outside agency. Ten days after it went into effect in May, local police shot a man sleeping on a park bench 15 times. It’s one of the first incidents to be investigated under the new law.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/08/what-i-did-after-police-killed-my-son-110038_Page2.html#ixzz3AsYt8hKR

We definitely need more accountability, outside investigations and better training and screening of officers. Some people are just not suited to this kind of work.

Great article.

Should qualifications for blacks be lowered in order to attract more of them?

2seaoat

Should qualifications for blacks be lowered in order to attract more of them?

Why..... my review of local police hiring and physical and written examinations, there are ample lists of qualified black law enforcement officers, and sometimes the waiting list can be fifty or sixty candidates. My son in law was number 1 in the waiting list on a local department after serving an internship at ATF, and he waited 9 months before getting a call......he was working for more money outside law enforcement which he majored. He said the quality of the black candidates were incredibly high, and the real problem is how weak and out of shape so many candidates were.

I think the difference between number 1 and 20 is really not a difference, but if hiring requires extra points, the vet angle has been very successful in getting folks hired. Certainly nobody complains with the preference for vets because it serves a societal need, but if a community gets as out of balance as Furgeson, I do not see a problem with a diversity incentive. It all requires common sense.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum