Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

7 Reasons why the THC in cannabis is good medicine

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

dumpcare

http://www.naturalnews.com/046148_THC_cannabis_herbal_medicine.html#

NaturalNews) With a growing number of states, particularly in the southern U.S., starting to accept the medicinal benefits of cannabidiol, or CBD, a therapeutic compound found in the cannabis plant that is beneficial for treating seizures, inflammation and other health conditions, the more widely known cannabis compound tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is being left in the dark. But emerging science clearly delineates that, like CBD, THC is also good medicine. Here are seven reasons why:

1) Pain Relief. Though it sometimes gets a bad rap for its cerebral effects, THC is a powerful pain reliever that activates certain pathways in the central nervous system associated with pain. In fact, THC is the primary pain-relieving compound found in cannabis, as it blocks pain signals from being sent to the brain. THC is particularly beneficial for those who suffer from neuropathic, or nerve-related, pain, based on the findings of numerous studies.

It is important to note that, prior to 1937 when cannabis officially became a prohibited substance in the U.S., it was commonly used to treat pain naturally, without triggering harmful side effects. THC-rich cannabis, in fact, had been part of the official U.S. Pharmacopoeia up until 1942, which is right around the time that "Reefer Madness" paranoia took over and the plant was suddenly and erroneously vilified as a dangerous "gateway drug" with no beneficial properties.

2) Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Thankfully, much of this is now changing, which is good news for our nation's war veterans, many of whom battle with symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). While the Veterans Association (VA) still prescribes SSRIs and other dangerous pharmaceuticals as treatment for this harrowing condition, emerging science is showing that the THC in cannabis is a safer, preferable alternative.

3) Nausea and vomiting. Believe it or not, a pill form of THC has been available as a treatment for nausea and vomiting since the 1980s. But the official government position is still one that views THC in natural plant form as having no medicinal benefits, despite evidence showing that this natural cannabinoid eases stomach pain while stimulating the appetite, which is especially helpful for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatments.

4) Appetite stimulant. There are many reasons why a person's appetite might be lacking. With so many chemicals, GMOs (genetically-modified organisms), pesticides and other toxins floating around in our environment and food supply -- not to mention the gut-damaging effects of vaccine ingredients -- it is no wonder that many people are sick and not getting enough nutrients in their bodies.

THC, however, can help reduce stomach pains and stimulate a person's appetite, including in patients with cancer and HIV-associated wasting syndrome. THC can also help otherwise healthy individuals put on more muscle and boost their nutritional intake.

5) Asthma. Believe it or not, research dating back to the 1970s cites THC as a highly medicinal compound in the treatment of asthma. Trials have shown that smoking marijuana can actually calm asthma attacks, though ingesting cannabis via edibles or a vaporizer may be preferable to avoid agitating one's lungs.

6) Glaucoma. One of the first conditions to be identified as a target of cannabis, glaucoma is another condition that responds exceptionally well to THC. Glaucoma sufferers have found that marijuana cannabinoids can relieve eye pressure in ways that no pharmaceutical ever could, all without causing any harm.

7) Sleeping aid. The latest statistics estimate that as many as 12 million Americans suffer from some kind of sleeping disorder. Many of these folks have turned to dangerous, FDA-approved sleeping drugs like Ambien that can lead to sleepwalking and other dangerous behaviors, not to mention alter one's brain chemistry for the worst.

But the THC in cannabis provides natural relaxation and calm that numerous studies have shown works much better at promoting truly restful sleep. THC has also been linked to improving nighttime breathing and reducing sleep interruptions, including in those who suffer from sleep apnea. And unlike synthetic pharmaceuticals, THC induces natural sleeping patterns that provide real rest, relief and recovery.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/046148_THC_cannabis_herbal_medicine.html##ixzz38X3PfjdG

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I've never used it. I'm not sure if I would if it were legal, as I hardly drink that much now--alcohol being legal. The vote on medical marijuana will be an interesting one. I am not sure how I will vote just yet, but I am not going to scream if the measure passes. Marijuana prohibition has failed, as it did with alcohol. Perhaps legalization with heavy regulation will reduce the crime associated with it, while increasing the tax base in a measurable way. I am all ears, as the war on drugs has been a significant failure.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

dumpcare

If marijuana is classified a drug because it alter's the mind, then other herbs such as st john's wort would have to be put in a controlled substance status. It's an herb, naturally grown plant. There are medicinal properties in many plants that could alter the mind, but not deemed a controlled substance by our government. Alcohol alter's more than your mind and most has no medicinal properties. I have never in my life time seen a pissed off person after smoking marijuana, but I sure have seen a lot of people willing to put a fist between your eyes on alcohol.

2seaoat

I got very bad news at the doctor today in regard to my cat scans. My tumors are growing again on my liver and two have merged into a 13cm mass. I will be going in on August 4 for an exploratory analysis of the tumor where they will go through the groin area and determine how they will attack the mass. Northwestern is now number one in the world in this procedure. They will then order specialized radioactive pellets which they will feed through the arteries of my liver once they have developed a plan, and they will radiate the massive tumor. It is cool because they order from a supplier out of state and they have to calculate the half life down to a four hour window where they will put the pellets in my liver. There will be four weeks of discomfort and pain, and the clock has finally began to get much more specific and certain. I asked if people are using medical pot to deal with the pain.......they are with great results. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get the same until January. I never understand prohibition, but I particularly find it absurd when a medicine which is proven and accepted in dealing with cancer pain is not available to every patient in this nation......I am still working and driving so this will have to be used on weekends and when I will not be driving. My daughter who is a prosecutor has warned me that I probably should not drive at all when I begin taking the medical pot.

I have become numb to the discomfort, and I delayed these tests because I already knew what was happening..........I guess I will have to hurry and go to a wahoos game before the procedure, and I will get a White sox game in Aug 6........I am the luckiest man in the world......they were able to slow this growth for almost two years, and now I enter a new phase of the disease, which because my cousin's husband died of exactly the same......I know the routine......15-24 months if I was betting, but I will know in three months when they do the follow up scans, and one more injection of the pellets......however, those arteries which they are using to introduce the pellets gets more difficult to open for additional procedures.......and the worst news was that this world renowned expert on endocrine cancer scoffed at the Swedish mice studies using targeted virus modalities.......he said we have saved a great many mice, but not so good with men. Shocked 

dumpcare

Sorry to hear that. If I were you I would go to any means NOW to find some marijuana legal or not. I have to believe if you have discussed mj with your doctor's they have said either point blank or in a round about way that it may ease the pain. Good luck.

In studies at Harvard it has shrunk or even completely irradicated small cell oat lung cancer, the deadliest, of some.

2seaoat

I have a messed up pain threshold. When I was younger, the slightest pain would light me up, but after they removed the upper left lung lob, something happened, and I tolerate higher levels of pain......have no idea why, but most pain medications are metabolized by the liver......pot not so much.....so I could easily get it now, but until I stop working, I will not partake. Also, with only one healthy lung, I will not smoke pot, but will be ingesting either oils or cookies and brownies. I have a friend who is connected to a pot dispensary opening in Joliet Illinois where Hallmark's son lives. They just got city council approval on a location, and will begin supplying the prescriptions in January.

I smoked a little bit in college, but stopped over forty years ago, so I hope the doctor is correct on how effective it is working on cancer pain.

Good luck seagoat... and I'm glad your mind is open to trying pot... I wouldn't be surprised if it cut down on pain meds.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sorry you received bad news...I wish you well and will continue prayers for your improvement.

dumpcare

Yea, I would prefer brownie's, seemed to be a gradual high instead of wham you're there by smoking it.

2seaoat

Sorry you received bad news...I wish you well and will continue prayers for your improvement.

Thank you. I am the luckiest man in the world. This should have happened two years ago, and I was blessed with two wonderful years of normality and stable tumors. I have enjoyed my grandchildren to the hilt, and the last round of golf I played a month ago, I shot a birdie on a difficult 18th hole on the General in Galena Illinois, and as I begin to fade I will have the wonderful memory of the look on my opponents face as I limped over and took the ball out of the cup and won all the bets........life is great......enjoy every minute with your family, friends, and community, and do not sweat the little things......and remember to irritate and challenge on this forum.....it has been fun and I hope until the end I will continue my good fortune and be able to post....who knows.....with a little pot....I may be nice to Bob.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Thanks for the update, Seaoat. We will keep you in our prayers; in the meantime, don't hesitate to chomp on those THC brownies. Take a vacation to Denver and try out their 'legal' edibles, first.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

I am making travel reservations and went to buy tickets for next Tuesday or Wed., and the Blue Wahoos are playing away.......I better stay away from the poker at the dog track.....I am getting my asz kicked lately. I guess I will have to live to next year and feel good enough to go...I know after Aug 14th I will be out of whack for four weeks, and will not be able to make the road trip.

dumpcare

http://news.yahoo.com/york-times-calls-marijuana-legalization-005840456.html

Washington (AFP) - The New York Times called for the legalization of marijuana, comparing the federal ban on cannabis to Prohibition.

Related Stories

The New York Times endorses marijuana legalization The Week (RSS)
New York latest US state to allow medical marijuana AFP
Who's Next? Pot changes won't stop with Washington Associated Press
Medical marijuana is now officially legal in New York The Verge
Washington’s marijuana milestone and the federal law National Constitution Center
In an editorial, the prestige publication said marijuana laws disproportionately impact young black men and that addiction and dependence are "relatively minor problems" especially compared with alcohol and tobacco.

"It took 13 years for the United States to come to its senses and end Prohibition, 13 years in which people kept drinking, otherwise law-abiding citizens became criminals and crime syndicates arose and flourished," the newspaper said.

"It has been more than 40 years since Congress passed the current ban on marijuana, inflicting great harm on society just to prohibit a substance far less dangerous than alcohol. The federal government should repeal the ban on marijuana."

Noting that the editorial board reached its conclusion after much discussion, The Times described the social costs of marijuana laws as "vast."

Citing FBI figures showing there were 658,000 arrests for marijuana possession in 2012 -- far higher than for cocaine, heroin and their derivatives -- it said "the result is racist, falling disproportionately on young black men, ruining their lives and creating new generations of career criminals."

While advocating for a ban on marijuana sales to those under 21, the paper also said the "moderate use of marijuana does not appear to pose a risk for otherwise healthy adults."

The editorial, titled "Repeal Prohibition, Again," kicks off a series of stories about the issue and invites readers to weigh in.

The call comes just weeks after recreational pot sales began in Washington, making the western US state just the second after Colorado to allow people to buy marijuana with no medical requirement.

Also earlier this month, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a bill making New York the 23rd state to legalize marijuana for medical use.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Try this, Seaoat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum