Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Mutually assured dysfunction: Senate snarled by leadership animosity"

+3
2seaoat
Floridatexan
gatorfan
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gatorfan

Sums up the useless idiots in the Senate pretty well. Can also be applied to the House. Vote them all out.

"The Senate went three months this spring without voting on a single legislative amendment, the nitty-gritty kind of work usually at the heart of congressional lawmaking. So few bills have been approved this year, and so little else has gotten done, that many senators say they are spending most of their time on insignificant and unrewarding work.

The big issues have been sidelined by political and procedural battles and an intensely personal war between the leadership offices.

Senators say that they increasingly feel like pawns caught between Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), whose deep personal and political antagonisms have almost immobilized the Senate.

The two men so distrust each other, and each is so determined to deny the other even the smallest political success, that their approach to running the Senate has been reduced to a campaign of mutually assured dysfunction.

“It’s pretty bad, and I don’t think there’s any way to fix it,” said Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.).

Sen. Christopher A. Coons (D-Del.), who commutes daily from Wilmington to the Capitol by Amtrak, said he keeps working on small issues, hoping to find bipartisan partners and sneak them into law without getting ensnared in the bigger partisan wars.

Otherwise, he said, “I have a hard time getting on the train in the morning.”

The problems are so severe that a rump caucus of Democrats and Republicans has been meeting secretly, trying to break the logjam, to no avail."

Rest:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/leadership-war-stymies-senate-mission/2014/07/20/432d763c-07b8-11e4-a0dd-f2b22a257353_story.html?hpid=z4

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

False equivalency.

gatorfan

Floridatexan wrote:
False equivalency.

You have an enormous talent for fact avoidance.

"Mutually assured dysfunction: Senate snarled by leadership animosity" Stupid-liberals-111816949022

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

"Mutually assured dysfunction: Senate snarled by leadership animosity" Obstruction5

gatorfan

Yep, Bonehead Boehner and Pea Brain Reid

"Out of the 195 House-passed bills that are now stalled in the Senate, 31 were written by Democrats, and many have been awaiting Senate approval for close to a year."

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/200228-house-dems-to-senate-dems-pass-our-bills#ixzz388D4B1vt

All False statements involving Harry Reid

The sequester has "already lost 1.6 million jobs."
"In the last two years, we have reduced the deficit by $2.5 trillion."

Nevada will be "energy independent within the immediate future."

On Sandra Day O'Connor: "I think one reason she was a good judge is she had no judicial experience" before she joined the Supreme Court.

"We have solved the problem. ... Scientists are now saying leave the nuclear waste where it is."
Says Mitt Romney did not pay taxes for 10 years.

“There was a "loss of eight million jobs during the Bush eight years."

"Mutually assured dysfunction: Senate snarled by leadership animosity" Harry-reid-hugh

2seaoat

It is going to be very close, but there is a realistic chance that the senate will go Republican. So for two years instead of blaming Reid, you can blame President Obama, because the majority of Americans voted for him, and he most certainly will VETO bills which hurt America. Last time I checked the Senate passed the immigration reform bill with bipartisan support, and the house has enough bipartisan support to pass but leadership will not release the same to the floor. It appears that this important piece of legislation had bipartisan support in the senate........but certainly the special interests have caused gridlock in both chambers.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:It is going to be very close, but there is a realistic chance that the senate will go Republican.   So for two years instead of blaming Reid, you can blame President Obama, because the majority of Americans voted for him, and he most certainly will VETO bills which hurt America.  Last time I checked the Senate passed the immigration reform bill with bipartisan support, and the house has enough bipartisan support to pass but leadership will not release the same to the floor.  It appears that this important piece of legislation had bipartisan support in the senate........but certainly the special interests have caused gridlock in both chambers.

Wow...just a few months ago 2seaoat was touting the successes and bold advances of semi-retired President Barack Hussein Obama, Harry Reid and the other far left Progressives.

2seaoat, you are 100% wrong that President Obama would VETO bills which would HURT America. Semi-retired President Obama would VETO any and all bills that would HELP America and prevent him from further using his dictatorial style of governing America. He would VETO closing the border before moving forward on anything have to do with immigration reform.

Semi-retired President Obama has told Harry Reid, in no uncertain terms, not to bring anything up for a vote. He KNOWS they would have bilateral support in the Senate and President Obama knows he could not simply VOTE PRESENT as he did during much of his senatorial career.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:Wow...just a few months ago 2seaoat was touting the successes and bold advances of semi-retired President Barack Hussein Obama, Harry Reid and the other far left Progressives. 

Did you receive new instructions to include "semi-retired" from now on in reference to Obama? I ask because I noticed that this appears to be a new theme in your copy-and-paste fodder.

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:"Mutually assured dysfunction: Senate snarled by leadership animosity" Obstruction5

Floridatexan, you really, really need to vet your sources a bit better. As you SHOULD know, one of the items on your humorous list, is not even a responsibility of the House of Representatives.

When will the Senate vote on all the bills currently sitting in one of Harry Reid's file cabinets?

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:Wow...just a few months ago 2seaoat was touting the successes and bold advances of semi-retired President Barack Hussein Obama, Harry Reid and the other far left Progressives. 

Did you receive new instructions to include "semi-retired" from now on in reference to Obama?   I ask because I noticed that this appears to be a new theme in your copy-and-paste fodder.

Yeah, accurate isn't it?

Where is he going this week?

11"Mutually assured dysfunction: Senate snarled by leadership animosity" Empty Gaza -- What doesn't work there. 7/21/2014, 9:00 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

How many times in the last decade or two have Palestinians who swear by Allah that they will destroy Israel and kill Jews everywhere in the world, lobbed rockets, bombs or conducted other terrorist attacks on the Jews, which Israel has answered with major military attacks?

The problem is Israel's hatred for the Muslims who are dedicated to their destruction, and vice versa.

Religion at its best.

Reality.

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:How many times in the last decade or two have Palestinians who swear by Allah that they will destroy Israel and kill Jews everywhere in the world, lobbed rockets, bombs or conducted other terrorist attacks on the Jews, which Israel has answered with major military attacks?

The problem is Israel's hatred for the Muslims who are dedicated to their destruction, and vice versa.

Religion at its best.

Reality.

Have you gone through all your life uneducated or is that a recent occurrence?

Israel doesn't hate Muslims, more than 20 percent of their population is Arab Muslims. They work and live in harmony.

Like myself, I don't hate Muslims, they hate the Islamic Terrorists firing thousands of rockets into their country. They also hate other countries, such as Iran and the ISIS running Iraq and threatening to run their people into the sea.

My good friend Wordslinger has been kind enough to teach us all that obviously WW I and WW II were started because of religion. No Wordslinger, you can't point to the holocaust because Hitler was killing Gypsies, mentally ill, short people, blacks, well, anyone who wasn't blond, blue eyed and tall.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

"Mutually assured dysfunction: Senate snarled by leadership animosity" 6a00d8341bf80c53ef01a3fd2ae7ae970b-pi

Sal

Sal

Boy, that's some serious analysis in that article right there ....

.... ignore the structural failings and systematic problems, and gloss over the strategic decision by one party to procedurally block everything and offer an infinite number of poison amendments to gum up the works, and focus like a laser on a personality conflict.

Yep, that's some good ol' fashioned journalism.

RIP, the Fourth Estate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum