Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ferry Service to begin in spring 2017 downtown to SR island

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/environment/2014/06/26/pensacola-hatchery-ferry-service-funded/11442107/

no stress

no stress

Finally, a little progress

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

It's about time there was a ferry to PB/Ft. Pickens from downtown. This idea has been thrown around for years. On the fish hatchery, I'm afraid our water is still to polluted to make this plan viable. I don't know too many people who actually eat the seafood from the Gulf anymore. That makes me want to...scream and throw things. I have lived near the Gulf virtually my entire life...was raised on fish my parents caught, or I caught. Saw something on the news recently...something like 80% of the local seafood comes from somewhere else. (The segment was actually about being wary of fish that claims, for instance, to be red snapper, when in fact it's probably tilapia caught in some other...also polluted...water.) I don't know how anyone could mistake red snapper for tilapia, but hey.

I do know that South Padre Island has had a fish hatchery program for decades. ..a partnership between Texas Fish & Wildlife and the local electric company. But they didn't get the impact of the Deepwater Horizon blowout...and no one put Corexit into their water.

no stress

no stress

Totally agree FT

2seaoat

The pristine beauty of the Gulf Coast as a child is a cherished memory. It is beyond sad what BP has done, and how dangerous the Gulf has become. You certainly do not want to create a panic, but there really has to be discussions on how to reduce the toxicity of the Gulf waters beyond the band aid appearances and BP ads on tv. The environment is not a liberal or conservative debate......it is our survival, and BP has not even began to make this right........paying for a ferry or a hatchery.......is just shut up money.......and this shut up is compounded by the interests of the beach business to keep the toxicity a secret........God help the children being exposed to those waters, and those who eat what is taken out of the water.

no stress

no stress

Escambia already has some of the worst air quality in Florida now we can add the gulf too the list.

If (Big IF)a ferry system is well designed and the vessels well built ,the program will stand a chance to succeed. Ferry's are expensive to operate and maintain. Sounds like a great idea but I doubt if it last more than a couple of years with out subsidies or grants.

no stress

no stress

right itchy, we cant have this!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum