Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coming Home...Wrote this for a another group. . Thought I would share it.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

. Like someone said. "Different but the same"

Fall in!!! Fall in for flight 283. Gate 6.....A sea of green clad GI soldiers lumber towards the gate. Every one is wearing their green Class A uniform. The Airborne guys with their shiny boots and bloused pants, Some peoples uniforms look brand new while others have a somewhat worn look to them. But to a man, they are all dragging their duffel bags and have some type of a smaller or “AWOL” bag with them . Under their arm is a large manila envelope with all the information about who they are, where they have been and most of all,their orders to leave.
Flight 283.....Looks like a “Red Tail”. The magic carpet for the ride home. I dont even bother to lift my duffel bag as I head toward the formation. I just drag it on the cement. I am not alone, some of the other guys are doing the same. This is it. The flight home. I have been waiting a long time for this day. It has been close to 3 years since I have been back in the United States.. One thing is for sure and that is that things are really going to change
Fall in. Stand on the red lines. Get your orders ready. We are going to board the aircraft in 15 minutes. As I stand on the line,I look to the right and left of me. Some people are smiling, some scared maybe sad, others have the “Look” “The Forty yard stare'. I find it hard to believe that it is over. I look straight ahead, trying not to think. Damn, if this is a dream, dont let me wake up know...
We march off toward the plane in double file. It is a long line. Can this many people fit into a stretched 747?. I have no idea. I am in the front of the line so I know I will be able to get on board. I throw my duffel bag on a cart, keep the awol bag and continue to march.
Even with all the other soldiers, I feel alone. I was part of a very small unit of the Army. These guys are the real deal. Many are on their way home from Vietnam and God knows where else. We all take a seat. Not much to say. At last the door closes and the engines start to spool up, their whining noise filling the cabin like the music from a organ in a church. In a few minutes we hear the wheels thump into the belly of the plane.
This is your captain speaking “Welcome to flight 283. Next stop!!!. The United States of America!!!” A roar emits from the cabin.....It is true...I am going home.................I bow my head and say thanks.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

flower 

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum