Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

More than 2,200 hospitals face penalties under ObamaCare rules

+2
TEOTWAWKI
Floridatexan
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

A provision of ObamaCare is set to punish roughly two-thirds of U.S. hospitals evaluated by Medicare starting this fall over high readmission rates, according to an analysis by Kaiser Health News.

Starting in October, Medicare will reduce reimbursements to hospitals with high 30-day readmission rates -- which refers to patients who return within a month -- by as much as 1 percent. The maximum penalty increases to 2 percent the following year and 3 percent in 2014.

Doctors are concerned the penalty is unfair, since sometimes they have to accept patients more than once in a brief period of time but could be penalized for doing so -- even for accepting seniors who are sick.

"Among patients with heart failure, hospitals that that have higher readmission rates actually have lower mortality rates," said Sunil Kripalani, MD, a professor with Vanderbilt University Medical Center who studies hospital readmissions. "So, which would we rather have -- a hospital readmission or a death?"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/23/more-than-2200-hospitals-face-penalties-for-high-readmissions/#ixzz24TUdij00

Add this to HCAPS penalty, and you have hospitals closing. Good luck to us all.

All sorts of nice little surprises hidden in that monstrosity. Of course what could we expect from the 3 blind mice who rammed it down Americans throats, aka BHO, Pelosi, and Reid.

nochain wrote:All sorts of nice little surprises hidden in that monstrosity. Of course what could we expect from the 3 blind mice who rammed it down Americans throats, aka BHO, Pelosi, and Reid.

Again....."Lets get this passed and then we'll see what's inside later"..Nancy Pelosi....

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

You're talking about a maximum 1% penalty. Here's the other side of the coin.

http://www.examiner.com/article/heart-patients-higher-readmission-rates-means-higher-profits-for-hospitals

"According to researchers Americans who have a severe form of a heart attack are far more likely to be readmitted to the hospital than people from 16 other countries with the same kind of heart attack, said on Tuesday.

Overall, heart attack sufferers from the United States were “68 percent” more likely to be readmitted within one month of their discharge than patients in other countries, the team reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association. “That is outrageous”, says Dr. John Smith of Charlotte, N.C. "Its indicates we are doing something wrong", he said.

And U.S.-based patients also were more likely to have shorter but much more expensive hospital stays.

The findings suggest that discharging heart attack patients early may ultimately be adding to the U.S. healthcare tab. “This is by design”, says Fredrick Nace of Charlotte. “The reason is that hospitals can charge more that way”, he said. The study fails to mention the real causes of why patients are being discharged early..."

-----------------

So, if the patients received the care they needed during their first hospitalization, a second hospitalization would, in many cases, not be necessary. That's what happens when you get your "news" from FOX.

Ft, do you try really hard to not see the truth here?

Hospitals already dont want re admits. Its costly.

We really need to be honest here. obamacare may have some good things in it, all bills do. But another penalty on a already low reimbursment rate is not one of them.

Most hospitals hope for a avg 3% profit margin. and this makes 2 things that they have to try and fix that they really have little control over. The first was HCAPS, how a patient feels about thier visit, which is subjective. and now this, when many times some people are just very sick, elderly.

did you miss the part about hospitals with high re-admit rates have lower moratality rates? Does that mean nothing to you?

Chrissy8 wrote:Ft, do you try really hard to not see the truth here?

FlawedTexican has never met a fact that could not be ignored in her quixotic quest to defend all things Obummeroni.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

nochain wrote:

FlawedTexican has never met a fact that could not be ignored in her quixotic quest to defend all things Obummeroni.

I happen to have hospital administration experience. Also, my daughter just passed her nursing boards. You're a dolt.

Floridatexan wrote:
nochain wrote:

I happen to have hospital administration experience. Also, my daughter just passed her nursing boards. You're a dolt.

So what? Your minimal experience certainly does not make you an expert, like Chrissy stated, you can't see the truth. Unfortunately for you, your daughters nursing qualification does not magically make you a nurse just as my daughters experience as a reserarch chemist does not magically impart an understanding of chemistry on me. Get a grip!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I still am amazed at how after the steady decline in American health people still trust Doctors. They just want your money, trust me. They could care less about you and your family.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I still am amazed at how after the steady decline in American health people still trust Doctors. They just want your money, trust me. They could care less about you and your family.

They aren't doctors so much as business folk anymore. Getting it while they can....

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

nochain wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:I still am amazed at how after the steady decline in American health people still trust Doctors. They just want your money, trust me. They could care less about you and your family.

They aren't doctors so much as business folk anymore. Getting it while they can....

Exactly

Slicef18

Slicef18

Floridatexan wrote:You're talking about a maximum 1% penalty. Here's the other side of the coin.

http://www.examiner.com/article/heart-patients-higher-readmission-rates-means-higher-profits-for-hospitals

"According to researchers Americans who have a severe form of a heart attack are far more likely to be readmitted to the hospital than people from 16 other countries with the same kind of heart attack, said on Tuesday.

Overall, heart attack sufferers from the United States were “68 percent” more likely to be readmitted within one month of their discharge than patients in other countries, the team reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association. “That is outrageous”, says Dr. John Smith of Charlotte, N.C. "Its indicates we are doing something wrong", he said.

And U.S.-based patients also were more likely to have shorter but much more expensive hospital stays.

The findings suggest that discharging heart attack patients early may ultimately be adding to the U.S. healthcare tab. “This is by design”, says Fredrick Nace of Charlotte. “The reason is that hospitals can charge more that way”, he said. The study fails to mention the real causes of why patients are being discharged early..."

-----------------

So, if the patients received the care they needed during their first hospitalization, a second hospitalization would, in many cases, not be necessary. That's what happens when you get your "news" from FOX.

You are absolutely right. People don't realize when a patient is admitted they are given a diagnosis code. The hospital gets paid X dollars for that diagnosis and if the patient is discharged two days yearly they get to keep the two days money based on a per diem rate. If the patient develops complications and needs extra hospitalization days, an adjustment code is used.

Yella

Yella

Chrissy8 wrote:A provision of ObamaCare is set to punish roughly two-thirds of U.S. hospitals evaluated by Medicare starting this fall over high readmission rates, according to an analysis by Kaiser Health News.

Starting in October, Medicare will reduce reimbursements to hospitals with high 30-day readmission rates -- which refers to patients who return within a month -- by as much as 1 percent. The maximum penalty increases to 2 percent the following year and 3 percent in 2014.

Doctors are concerned the penalty is unfair, since sometimes they have to accept patients more than once in a brief period of time but could be penalized for doing so -- even for accepting seniors who are sick.

"Among patients with heart failure, hospitals that that have higher readmission rates actually have lower mortality rates," said Sunil Kripalani, MD, a professor with Vanderbilt University Medical Center who studies hospital readmissions. "So, which would we rather have -- a hospital readmission or a death?"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/23/more-than-2200-hospitals-face-penalties-for-high-readmissions/#ixzz24TUdij00

Add this to HCAPS penalty, and you have hospitals closing. Good luck to us all.

In my opinion and also countless others FauxNews is not a reliable source of information.In fact, one their talking heads was in complete agreement with the twisted and sick statement by Congressman Akin that women can be legitimately raped and if they do happen to have that happen not to worry they won't get pregnant. They are pushing the Republican agenda way too hard.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Slicef18

Slicef18

That is absolutely incorrect. The decline if Americans health is caused by lifestyle changes. Starting at a very young age their diet is nothing but sugar followed by sitting in front of a computer playing games. Our children deserve better than this.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Slicef18 wrote:

That is absolutely incorrect. The decline if Americans health is caused by lifestyle changes. Starting at a very young age their diet is nothing but sugar followed by sitting in front of a computer playing games. Our children deserve better than this.

Sure blame the victims, standard medical procedure.

Slicef18 wrote:

americans diet if full of genetically modified foods that our body doesnt process well. its full of plastic bi products, high frutose corn sugar,

you have to be wealthy to eat a good non GMO natural diet.

and doctors do care about patients, maybe not as much as they could have. there are always exceptions to rules.

doctors wouldnt send patients home early just to have them come back, they would be afraid of being SUED. because everybody must sue somebody these days.

notbeds are full in most hospitals, they do the best they can to heal and send home, and the process starts over.

you guys always focus on the exceptions, not the majority.... What a Face

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well the FDA approves drugs that have been proven unsafe that kill off thousands and I am pretty sure there are some doctors in that dept. Also the days of a doctor knowing much about the patient are long gone. They schedule 5 or 6 appointments to maximize profits per hour maybe more....

Floridatexan wrote:
nochain wrote:

That explains why you support a bill that forces everyone to buy health insurance even if they don't want it but refuse to believe that the health industry should be nationalized even though you say everyone should have health care.

You just support it for the money that it'll put in your pocket.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tna0Mmu1XlI

Smile

Slicef18 wrote:

I thought people rights. Including the right to choose their own path through life.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Damaged Eagle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
nochain wrote:

That explains why you support a bill that forces everyone to buy health insurance even if they don't want it but refuse to believe that the health industry should be nationalized even though you say everyone should have health care.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

I'm sick and tired of losers like yourself who don't want to buy health insurance but when they get sick we have to pay for it. Whatever it takes to make people responsible for themselves.

skankymoranky wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
nochain wrote:

*****SMILE*****

Smile

I'm sick and tired of losers like yourself who don't want to buy health insurance but when they get sick we have to pay for it. Whatever it takes to make people responsible for themselves.

More than 2,200 hospitals face penalties under ObamaCare rules Th?id=I5007614692033013&pid=1

Actually sweetie I have health care covered.

I'm sick and tired of losers like you who sit at home in their Momma's basement refusing to get a job so you can buy your own health care policy because you think everyone should pay for your sorry behind when you go to the ER for treatment.

If this is so important to you why don't you join the armed forces so that you'll be covered? Or maybe you've went that route and are so much of a loser that they didn't even want you.

Quit living off other peoples money, get a job, and be responsible for yourself.

*****CHUCKLE*****

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I5007614692033013&pid=1.7&w=95&h=142&c=7&rs=1

Smile

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
nochain wrote:

BS...if you had "hospital administration experience" mixed in somewhere between your multiple lifetime employment changes ..you would know about DRG's.....and passing nursing boards has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

Slicef18

Slicef18

Joanimaroni wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
nochain wrote:

BS...if you had "hospital administration experience" mixed in somewhere between your multiple lifetime employment changes ..you would know about DRG's.....and passing nursing boards has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

Well, I'm not so sure about that. Most hospitals will not hire a nurse until those board exams have been passed.

Slicef18 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
nochain wrote:

Well, I'm not so sure about that. Most hospitals will not hire a nurse until those board exams have been passed.

Well I dont beleive passing a nursing exam has anything to do with medical billing, if so I am sure Joanie or PB can both tell us, Joanie is a retired nurse and I think PB still is. and I am in managment and deal with billing quite often, not as much now, but I understand DRG's and even so, to the point is that doctors and the hospital are very scared of being sued and more often then not they give additional care over sending home early. and to be honest a DRG payment isnt that much and if that problem has forced them to try to fit in as many as they can, then that is a direct result of the reimbursment being too low. and thats the type of thing you can expect more of when the payment is slashed again and the number of clients increase. its just a very simple thing to understand.

and teo..most doctors do care. many doctors out here are going bankrupt trying to continue their practice. they put in a lot of hard work and sacrafice to become doctors, they should be paid well. and since you hate healthcare professionals so much, i do recomend you retire from your healthcare professional job that you're paid so very very well for.

Slicef18

Slicef18

You posted a very informative letter. Thanks, as it's those letters that put meat on the bones of any topic. Let me add that most hospitals either won't hire a nursing grad until board scores have returned. Or if they do hire a nursing grad they are assigned "Nurse Aid" or "Nursing Assistant" position until board scores return.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum