Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

LAW BROKEN: CONGRESS NOT NOTIFIED OF GITMO SWAP

+2
Wordslinger
2seaoat
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

The law requires the defense secretary to notify relevant congressional committees at least 30 days before making any transfers of prisoners, to explain the reason and to provide assurances that those released would not be in a position to reengage in activities that could threaten the United States or its interests.

And the Obama admin just keeps effing up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bergdahl-release-arrangement-could-threaten-the-safety-of-americans-republicans-say/2014/05/31/35e47a2a-e8ff-11e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_print.html

2seaoat

President Obama is correct in his interpretation of the law and Congress cannot infringe on his role as commander and chief. Sorry, any law that says our commander and chief must get approval from congress in a line command decision 30 days prior..... is absurdly unconstitutional, and only a half wit would argue that Congress can restrict those powers of the commander in Chief in this manner, especially when troops are committed on foreign lands and are at risk. Let some idiot take it to the Supremes....they will get it shoved where the sun does not shine, however, to add one more baseless item to a bill of impeachment......perfect.......idiocy reigns.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PACEDOG#1 wrote:The law requires the defense secretary to notify relevant congressional committees at least 30 days before making any transfers of prisoners, to explain the reason and to provide assurances that those released would not be in a position to reengage in activities that could threaten the United States or its interests.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bergdahl-release-arrangement-could-threaten-the-safety-of-americans-republicans-say/2014/05/31/35e47a2a-e8ff-11e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_print.html

Apparently, you'd rather that the American who was freed from Taliban captors in Afghanistan would remain a POW there, so that five Muslim terrorists would remain captives at Guantanamo. Right?

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:President Obama is correct in his interpretation of the law and Congress cannot infringe on his role as commander and chief.   Sorry, any law that says our commander and chief must get approval from congress in a line command decision 30 days prior..... is absurdly unconstitutional, and only a half wit would argue that Congress can restrict those powers of the commander in Chief in this manner, especially when troops are committed on foreign lands and are at risk.  Let some idiot take it to the Supremes....they will get it shoved where the sun does not shine, however, to add one more baseless item to a bill of impeachment......perfect.......idiocy reigns.

As President Barack Hussein Obama passed the word to Vladimir Putin that he would have more flexibility after he was re-elected

President Obama has yet to care about the laws and to him this was nothing but, as he calls them, a bump in the road.

2seaoat wrote:President Obama is correct in his interpretation of the law and Congress cannot infringe on his role as commander and chief.   Sorry, any law that says our commander and chief must get approval from congress in a line command decision 30 days prior..... is absurdly unconstitutional, and only a half wit would argue that Congress can restrict those powers of the commander in Chief in this manner, especially when troops are committed on foreign lands and are at risk.  Let some idiot take it to the Supremes....they will get it shoved where the sun does not shine, however, to add one more baseless item to a bill of impeachment......perfect.......idiocy reigns.

Obama signed it into law fool. I guess Nixon and the Bush precedents were not good enough on getting POWs back?BS

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I think the Obama-Haters need to go for a ride on the Whaaambulance....

LAW BROKEN: CONGRESS NOT NOTIFIED OF GITMO SWAP  Whaamb10

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

Obama signed it into law fool. I guess Nixon and the Bush precedents were not good enough on getting POWs back?BS

Absent a constitutional amendment, congress can pass no law which impairs the powers of the executive branch commander in chief. Neither the President or Congress has that authority to create an amendment to the constitution without getting the same ratified by the states. President Obama most certainly is correct on this one, and if you think I am the fool, tell me do you really want a congressional committee dictating a commander in chief needs to give thirty days notice on any strategic decision being made.....really, and you call yourself a conservative........misguided

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Obama signed it into law fool. I guess Nixon and the Bush precedents were not good enough on getting POWs back?BS

Absent a constitutional amendment, congress can pass no law which impairs the powers of the executive branch commander in chief.   Neither the President or Congress has that authority to create an amendment to the constitution without getting the same ratified by the states.  President Obama most certainly is correct on this one, and if you think I am the fool, tell me do you really want a congressional committee dictating a commander in chief needs to give thirty days notice on any strategic decision being made.....really, and you call yourself a conservative........misguided

Releasing high level, known terrorists is NOT a strategic decision. What President Barack Hussein Obama has knowingly done is paint a target on each and every person in the military. CAPTURE ME! TORTURE ME! President Obama will release at least FIVE KNOWN ISLAMIC TERRORISTS.

NOT ONLY has President Obama announced the date of our surrender in Afghanistan, as he did in Iraq. Now he has announced his terms for extortion.

2seaoat

You certainly have a right to question the efficacy of his decision, but the question for review on this thread is that the President has broken the law. He has not.

In regard to the efficacy of releasing prisoners in exchange, you seem surprised that Americans are already targets. Your argument is now that they will be more of a target.......hmmmmm.

10LAW BROKEN: CONGRESS NOT NOTIFIED OF GITMO SWAP  Empty For Pacedog and Herr Markle: 6/1/2014, 8:23 am

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Again, your comments convey the idea you both would rather have left Sgt. Bergdahl in the hands of the Taliban, instead of releasing 5 POWs from Guantanamo, right?

Can you write "yes" or "no" to this question?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Obama signed it into law fool. I guess Nixon and the Bush precedents were not good enough on getting POWs back?BS

Absent a constitutional amendment, congress can pass no law which impairs the powers of the executive branch commander in chief.   Neither the President or Congress has that authority to create an amendment to the constitution without getting the same ratified by the states.  President Obama most certainly is correct on this one, and if you think I am the fool, tell me do you really want a congressional committee dictating a commander in chief needs to give thirty days notice on any strategic decision being made.....really, and you call yourself a conservative........misguided

Releasing high level, known terrorists is NOT a strategic decision.  What President Barack Hussein Obama has knowingly done is paint a target on each and every person in the military.  CAPTURE ME!  TORTURE ME!  President Obama will release at least FIVE KNOWN ISLAMIC TERRORISTS.

NOT ONLY has President Obama announced the date of our surrender in Afghanistan, as he did in Iraq.  Now he has announced his terms for extortion.

Are you really claiming that up to now Muslim insurgents, or Taliban, etc., haven't been targeting our occupying forces in Afghanistan for capture and torture? You really do maintain a cohesive effort to appear absurd!

I am not surprised some of you do not understand the situation this puts us in.

Always have to spell it out for you.

negotiating with terrorist makes taking more Americans hostage appealing

But since Obama is a muslim infiltrator he was most likely very happy to aide the enemies of America.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Chrissy wrote:I am not surprised some of you do not understand the situation this puts us in.

But since Obama is a muslim infiltrator he was most likely very happy to aide the enemies of America.

My, my that is a ridiculous statement.......... Are you sure you are not just another PaceDog sock?

LAW BROKEN: CONGRESS NOT NOTIFIED OF GITMO SWAP  Laughi11

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PACEDOG#1 wrote:The law requires the defense secretary to notify relevant congressional committees at least 30 days before making any transfers of prisoners, to explain the reason and to provide assurances that those released would not be in a position to reengage in activities that could threaten the United States or its interests.

According to the NY Times: "Among other complications, there was a potential legal obstacle: Congress has imposed statutory restrictions on the transfer of detainees from Guantánamo Bay. The statutes say the secretary of defense must determine that a transfer is in the interest of national security, that steps have been taken to substantially mitigate a future threat by a released detainee, and that the secretary notify Congress 30 days before any transfer of his determination.

In this case, the secretary, Chuck Hagel, acknowledged in a statement that he did not notify Congress ahead of time. When Mr. Obama signed a bill containing the latest version of the transfer restrictions into law, he issued a signing statement claiming that he could lawfully override them under his executive powers."

Remember Dubya's hundreds of "signing statements?" How is this one different, pray tell ...

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Who's a fool? Obama signed the law but included a "signing statement" that allows him to overrule the law if he is so inclined. Good move on his part!!

Wordslinger wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Who's a fool?  Obama signed the law but included a "signing statement" that allows him to overrule the law if he is so inclined.  Good move on his part!!

Gee, next time I'm in trouble with the law, I'll just say that unique and exigent circumstances existed that required me to break the law, so everyone should just forget about prosecuting me. I'm sure that'll work.

He went missing because he walked off base alone, apparently drunk. I'm glad and happy for his family, but the truth is 5 very bad people that are responsible for killing Americans are now free. Personally, I wouldn't want that on my conscience for the rest of my life.

We as Americans, especially us in the military deserve to know the real story behind him disappearing.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Chrissy wrote:I am not surprised some of you do not understand the situation this puts us in.

My, my that is a ridiculous statement.......... Are you sure you are not just another PaceDog sock?

LAW BROKEN: CONGRESS NOT NOTIFIED OF GITMO SWAP  Laughi11

Are you sure youre not a muslim infiltrate?

And would you care to discuss my comment about how terrorist now will see kidnapping Americans as beneficial to their goal?

2seaoat

And would you care to discuss my comment about how terrorist now will see kidnapping Americans as beneficial to their goal?

This just dawned on you......however, I hate to tell you this.......but hostages of any type in any conflict are a high priority target......but it is good you think it took President Obama to make them targets......to think they had a magic spell over them before......amazing.....the wizard of the White House did not know he had these special powers.

Sal

Sal

Repukes are upset because they think only arms should be traded for hostages. 

lol

2seaoat wrote:And would you care to discuss my comment about how terrorist now will see kidnapping Americans as beneficial to their goal?

This just dawned on you......however, I hate to tell you this.......but hostages of any type in any conflict are a high priority target......but it is good you think it took President Obama to make them targets......to think they had a magic spell over them before......amazing.....the wizard of the White House did not know he had these special powers.

No mr fuzzy, Ive known this all along as many have known it, thus is why we have always tried to avoid negotiating with terrorist.

But I guess when you have a terrorist in the white house what can you expect.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Who's a fool?  Obama signed the law but included a "signing statement" that allows him to overrule the law if he is so inclined.  Good move on his part!!

Gee, next time I'm in trouble with the law, I'll just say that unique and exigent circumstances existed that required me to break the law, so everyone should just forget about prosecuting me.  I'm sure that'll work.

You're right ... just as soon as you become president you can do it.

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:
Markle wrote:

Releasing high level, known terrorists is NOT a strategic decision.  What President Barack Hussein Obama has knowingly done is paint a target on each and every person in the military.  CAPTURE ME!  TORTURE ME!  President Obama will release at least FIVE KNOWN ISLAMIC TERRORISTS.

NOT ONLY has President Obama announced the date of our surrender in Afghanistan, as he did in Iraq.  Now he has announced his terms for extortion.

Are you really claiming that up to now Muslim insurgents, or Taliban, etc., haven't been targeting our occupying forces in Afghanistan for capture and torture?  You really do maintain a cohesive effort to appear absurd!

Of course they have. BUT, now they have the added incentive of being rewarded by a weak President who will happily release the most violent terrorists we are holding at GITMO.

WHAT A PLAN!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bergdahl's father is one of the enemy!

LAW BROKEN: CONGRESS NOT NOTIFIED OF GITMO SWAP  Articl10

Actually, he grew facial hair, adopted Pashtun clothing, and learned some of the Pashtun language to show solidarity with his son while the latter was held captive. The dad actually made several trips to Washington to help focus attention on his son's plight during his captivity.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

The President tried to close Guantanamo Bay at the beginning, but was met with a mass NIMBY by Republicans. It is well known that many of the prisoners are innocent and were 'sold down the river". It is also well known that the Bush White House had numerous black site prisons around the world during the "War of Terror". Why do you insist that innocent people continue to pay the price for Bush's wars?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum