Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Philomena

+3
Sal
Markle
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Philomena Empty Philomena 4/18/2014, 1:28 am

Just watched this movie. Great true story about unwed mothers and the wretched Catholic Church and what they did to them in 50's and 60's. They literally sold their babies to Americans and they were punished horribly. Long live the horrible Catholic Church!

2Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 7:46 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

When hollywood tells us "based on a true story" or "inspired by a true story" or whatever language they use,  I never take that at face value anymore.  Been burned by that too many times.  So after I see those movies I always google up the actual story to learn the truth.

What I discovered with this movie is some creative license was used to tell parts of the story (as always).  But in the case of this movie,  all of that is insignificant.
The overall movie story is faithful to what actually did happen in real life.

After seeing the movie,  you may be wondering (as I did) if the Michael Hess character in real life was really the chief counsel to the Republican National Committee.  He was.

The lead actor in the film (Steve Coogan) also wrote the screenplay.  And he based it on the book "The Lost Child of Philomena Lee" by Martin Sixsmith.  Sixsmith is the real life BBC journalist Coogan played in the film.

Judi Dench (the lead actress in the movie) wrote the foreward to Sixsmith's book...

“The extraordinary story of an extraordinary woman . . . Philomena’s tale is special. . . . It reveals a remarkable human being with astonishing fortitude and a truly humbling willingness to forgive. . . . I hope Philomena’s heroic search and her courage in allowing her story to be told will bring comfort to all who have suffered a similar fate.”

3Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 2:26 pm

What got me in this movie,Bob, was the penchant by the nuns to punish this woman for getting pregnant even after all those years. The son was dying and looking for his mother. They burned all the records so the children could never reunite w/ their mothers. The evils of religion especially the Catholics are just chilling.

4Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 5:18 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I loved that nun in the wheelchair.  She looked like a modern day version of the wicked witch of the west.  And she had as disgusting a voice too.
They shoulda had her on a broom instead of a wheelchair. lol

5Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 5:28 pm

Reminded me of the nun who grabbed me by the hair and smashed my knuckles when I was 7 for not doing my homework. I never told my mother as it was something that was expected, I guess, back then. I finally told my mother not too long ago and she was upset I never told her. Abuse was commonplace in Catholic schools.

6Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 5:32 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Was it the catholics who burned witches at the stake? Whoever it was, they shoulda burned some of the nuns right along with em. lol

7Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 5:36 pm

You have to realize anyone who dedicates their life and disavows a normal life regarding celibacy and family to a mythical God and fairy tales has some screws loose.

8Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 5:44 pm

Markle

Markle

Will someone show the FACTS of this incident which apparently happened between 60 and 70 years ago?

How many thousand of times did this happen?

Thank you.

Are you as concerned now about the Christians being raped, beaten and murdered in foreign countries? Are you as concerned about the women who are murdered, in our country, in what are called "honor" killings today?

I get that you are Heathens and go out of your way to denigrate religions so lets be fair. Ohhh...right....

9Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 5:46 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But to be serious,  dreams, there's something you don't wanna overlook.

The movie is anti-religion but it is not anti-Christian. Philomena represents probably the most Christian character I've ever seen in movies.  

Here was a woman who was mentally tortured to the limit.  And yet she was able to dig down and find forgiveness for her torturers.
That is the essence of Jesus' message as told by the Bible.  It was not religion which was Christian.  It was this ordinary woman who was pitted against religion.

But I found out something else when I researched all this.  The film was shown to the clergy who are the close personal assistants to Pope Francis.
And they expressed no objections to this movie.
This Pope really seems to be different.  He seems to have no desire to cover up the flaws in his religion.

10Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 5:50 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:Will someone show the FACTS of this incident which apparently happened between 60 and 70 years ago?

Thank you.

Are you as concerned now about the Christians being raped, beaten and murdered in foreign countries?  Are you as concerned about the women who are murdered, in our country, in what are called "honor" killings today?

I get that you are Heathens and go out of your way to denigrate religions so lets be fair.  Ohhh...right....

You're just too smart for me so I can't keep denying it. I think everything about christianity is evil and everything about muslim is utopia.
And I also think Nancy Palosi is a hot chick.

11Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 5:58 pm

Markle wrote:Will someone show the FACTS of this incident which apparently happened between 60 and 70 years ago?

Thank you.

Are you as concerned now about the Christians being raped, beaten and murdered in foreign countries?  Are you as concerned about the women who are murdered, in our country, in what are called "honor" killings today?

I get that you are Heathens and go out of your way to denigrate religions so lets be fair.  Ohhh...right....

So it's ok if it happened once or twice? Your justifications are evidence of how sick religious people are.

12Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 6:05 pm

Bob wrote:But to be serious,  dreams, there's something you don't wanna overlook.

The movie is anti-religion but it is not anti-Christian. Philomena represents probably the most Christian character I've ever seen in movies.  

Here was a woman who was mentally tortured to the limit.  And yet she was able to dig down and find forgiveness for her torturers.
That is the essence of Jesus' message as told by the Bible.  It was not religion which was Christian.  It was this ordinary woman who was pitted against religion.

But I found out something else when I researched all this.  The film was shown to the clergy who are the close personal assistants to Pope Francis.
And they expressed no objections to this movie.
This Pope really seems to be different.  He seems to have no desire to cover up the flaws in his religion.

Forgiveness is for the person who forgives so they won't keep on torturing themselves but it is merely words.The pain these nuns inflicted on this woman will always be w/ her. It was more of an indictment of the Catholic religion as opposed to others. The Irish Catholics were very harsh people. My family was Irish Catholic.

13Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 6:13 pm

Sal

Sal

Dreamsglore wrote:

Forgiveness is for the person who forgives so they won't keep on torturing themselves but it is merely words.The pain these nuns inflicted on this woman will always be w/ her. It was more of an indictment of the Catholic religion as opposed to others. The Irish Catholics were very harsh people. My family was Irish Catholic.

I certainly came across my share of cruel nuns coming up through Catholic schools.

In first grade, my teacher was Sister Jovida.

She was about 100 years old and mean as a snake.

I remember like it was yesterday, a boy literally begging her to allow him to use the bathroom.

She refused until he eventually urinated all over himself, and then she proceeded to slap him and humiliate him in front of the class.

This was in first grade, mind you.

It was quite traumatizing.

I will say that the nuns I come across today are a different breed - kind and compassionate.

14Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 6:25 pm

Children back then were not treated as well as they are today.My anti- religiousness comes from those horrible experiences as a child and the ridiculous beliefs of the Catholics and then later years from the hypocritical Baptists.Religion warps people.

15Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 6:26 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

I will say that the nuns I come across today are a different breed - kind and compassionate.

In Philomena Lee's story (real and movie),  the modern nuns are seen as wanting to be like that and do right,  but they're still hamstrung by the church heirarchy and brainwashed to believe the church has to be protected.
Even if it means lying through their teeth to Philomena and compounding her suffering.

Philomena was really conflicted about making any of her story public.  But it was the modern nuns lying to her I think is what made her want to do it.

16Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 6:33 pm

It was actually the modern day nuns who did that. He went back in 1992 to find his mother when he was dying and they did that.

17Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 6:53 pm

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:

Thank you.

So it's ok if it happened once or twice? Your justifications are evidence of how sick religious people are.

So you are refusing to answer. Very revealing. Thank you.

18Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 6:55 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dreamsglore wrote:It was actually the modern day nuns who did that. He went back in 1992 to find his mother when he was dying and they did that.

I realize that. They lied to both the son and to the mother. And we're talking about the most damnable kind of lies which truly cause hurt.
In other words, they were doing the opposite of Jesus. The were what Jesus spent his life condemning. And they're the ones who represent religion and the church.

19Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 7:01 pm

They believed this woman did not have the right to be reunited w/ her son and that was her punishment for getting pregnant. As if they were God.

20Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 7:02 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's not an obscure story in Great Britain, markle. The whole thing has come to light over there.
The nuns sold more than 2000 babies.

http://www.vaticancrimes.us/2013/05/nuns-caught-trafficking-thousands-of.html

21Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 7:03 pm

Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Thank you.

So you are refusing to answer.  Very revealing.  Thank you.

This thread is not about honor killings and I refuse to be sideswiped by these tactics. If you want to start a thread on that I'll be glad to respond.

22Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 7:07 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I spent two hours yesterday talking to my friend who has been working in Iraq and Afghanistan now for eight years.
He paints a picture of a society that has been so fucked over by religion that it depressed the hell out of me just to listen to it.
The women are so put down by religious brainwashing that they would be better off dead than have to endure what they do.

23Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 7:14 pm

I believe those men over there make that stuff up for their own advantage and enforce it under religion.

24Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 7:42 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dreamsglore wrote:I believe those men over there make that stuff up for their own advantage and enforce it under religion.

He told me about an Afghan he'd gotten to know who worked in one of the camps he was located at.  The Afghan man was in love with an Afghan woman and they wanted to be married.  But in order to make it happen they would have to leave the middle east.  A woman has no choice of mate.  The father chooses a daughter's husband for her.  And if she does not cooperate,  the father will probably kill her for it and the law sanctions it.  And it's not an isolated case.  That's the way of life.  And it's all the result of religious dogma.

25Philomena Empty Re: Philomena 4/18/2014, 10:12 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Bob wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:I believe those men over there make that stuff up for their own advantage and enforce it under religion.

He told me about an Afghan he'd gotten to know who worked in one of the camps he was located at.  The Afghan man was in love with an Afghan woman and they wanted to be married.  But in order to make it happen they would have to leave the middle east.  A woman has no choice of mate.  The father chooses a daughter's husband for her.  And if she does not cooperate,  the father will probably kill her for it and the law sanctions it.  And it's not an isolated case.  That's the way of life.  And it's all the result of religious dogma.

Too bad we didn't know all that craziness about the country before we went rampaging in like we did. Country must have just changed while we weren't looking, yah, that must be it.

Thanks you two for the good movie revue.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum