Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April Fools Day

+5
othershoe1030
knothead
2seaoat
ZVUGKTUBM
Yella
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1April Fools Day Empty April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 11:02 am

I just heard it was canceled.

2April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 11:27 am

Yella

Yella

PkrBum wrote:I just heard it was canceled.

When I was younger I once experienced 22 April Fools Days in a row.

It was tough.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

3April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 11:48 am

PkrBum wrote:I just heard it was canceled.

Not in Pensacola.  Just check the Newspaper.  LOL  We celebrate it 365 days a year.
Remember the Maritime Park and all the things it was going to be? Like Oats says "You should have known.........."

4April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 12:09 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

My appointment with H&R Block is this afternoon.....

I know, I should have picked another day to do my taxes....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

5April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 4:13 pm

I owe 1069 bucks

6April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 5:06 pm

2seaoat

The best April fools day joke I saw was a local newspaper superimposed a photo of the battleship Missouri on the river in the town. The story said it was visiting for the week. This was the late 60s and the river was really only navigable above the dams on the river, and besides the dams it could never clear the bridges. Think of the USS missouri docked in Milton on the north side of 90. Well hundreds of people gathered on a bridge that day and looked up the river looking for the USS Missouri.........the next day they showed a photo of the town bridge filled with people looking for the battleship........and we wonder why Fox News can do what they do.......every day is April Fools day.

7April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 5:19 pm

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:The best April fools day joke I saw was a local newspaper superimposed a photo of the battleship Missouri on the river in the town.  The story said it was visiting for the week.  This was the late 60s and the river was really only navigable above the dams on the river, and besides the dams it could never clear the bridges.  Think of the USS missouri docked in Milton on the north side of 90.  Well hundreds of people gathered on a bridge that day and looked up the river looking for the USS Missouri.........the next day they showed a photo of  the town bridge filled with people looking for the battleship........and we wonder why Fox News can do what they do.......every day is April Fools day.

Good one!!! Smile Smile 

8April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 5:27 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:The best April fools day joke I saw was a local newspaper superimposed a photo of the battleship Missouri on the river in the town.  The story said it was visiting for the week.  This was the late 60s and the river was really only navigable above the dams on the river, and besides the dams it could never clear the bridges.  Think of the USS missouri docked in Milton on the north side of 90.  Well hundreds of people gathered on a bridge that day and looked up the river looking for the USS Missouri.........the next day they showed a photo of  the town bridge filled with people looking for the battleship........and we wonder why Fox News can do what they do.......every day is April Fools day.

I guess they read it in the paper so it had to be true. Good observation about Fox News. Not much critical thinking going on there amongst the viewers. They hear what they want to hear.

9April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 6:09 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

othershoe1030 wrote:

I guess they read it in the paper so it had to be true. Good observation about Fox News. Not much critical thinking going on there amongst the viewers. They hear what they want to hear.

Fox News does not have the monopoly on stupid viewers. People tend to believe what they want to believe, no matter the network.

10April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 6:19 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

QueenOfHearts wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Fox News does not have the monopoly on stupid viewers.  People tend to believe what they want to believe, no matter the network.

I agree....so tired of the snarky condescending jabs...they seem to work there way into every thread.  Critical thinking goes both ways....

11April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 6:58 pm

Sal

Sal

Several studies have shown that viewers of FAUX News are less informed even than people who consume no news at all. 

No other network shares that distinction. 

scratch  scratch  scratch

12April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 7:04 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sal wrote:Several studies have shown that viewers of FAUX News are less informed even than people who consume no news at all. 

Do not confuse F news fans by stating facts, lol.

13April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 7:51 pm

Sal wrote:Several studies have shown that viewers of FAUX News are less informed even than people who consume no news at all. 

well that would be a majority of people then since its the most watched news.

and seaoat did not state that the joke he saw in the late 60's was ON fox news, he just took a jab at fox news. Because it could NOT have been. Fox news channel owned by Murdock started in 1996  Razz 

I'm also sure a whole lot of hippie dope smoking people were probably falling for that trick. Those people grew up to be mostly liberals LOL Razz 

14April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 8:49 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Karma wrote:

and seaoat did not state that the joke he saw in the late 60's was ON fox news, he just took a jab at fox news. Because it could NOT have been. Fox news channel owned by Murdock started in 1996  Razz 

I'm also sure a whole lot of hippie dope smoking people were probably falling for that trick. Those people grew up to be mostly liberals LOL Razz 

Maybe it's the nice Spring-like weather? These threads are becoming more and more like a game of "telephone". One person makes a comment (I know we're not just trying to repeat what was said but some understanding might be nice) and by the time several others have chimed in the message is so scrambled it is unrecognizable. It is actually pretty funny!

15April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 9:10 pm

othershoe1030 wrote:
Karma wrote:

Maybe it's the nice Spring-like weather? These threads are becoming more and more like a game of "telephone". One person makes a comment (I know we're not just trying to repeat what was said but some understanding might be nice) and by the time several others have chimed in the message is so scrambled it is unrecognizable. It is actually pretty funny!

Its not funny. Years ago we used to argue some of us, but then sometimes we had fun. Hell we have been together for almost a decade and our conversations can not even get past one page without a snide remark or jab politically. I honestly believe that we are a representative slice of what is going on in America.

You think with as long as we have all been together that we could manage a few decent non hate threads. Do we all really hate each other that bad?

I do not hate people in real life just because they don't hold my political opinion, do most of you? I'm curious.

16April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/1/2014, 9:40 pm

Sal

Sal

I hate wingnutz because they are sociopathic imbeciles who are bent on destroying this great country. 

17April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/2/2014, 2:02 am

2seaoat

Fox News does not have the monopoly on stupid viewers.

I would respectfully disagree. The format, the writing, the propaganda, the on air folks all working on a predetermined script which uses simple propaganda techniques is unmatched in media for the appeal to low hanging fruit.

18April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/2/2014, 10:54 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Karma wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Karma wrote:

Its not funny. Years ago we used to argue some of us, but then sometimes we had fun. Hell we have been together for almost a decade and our conversations can not even get past one page without a snide remark or jab politically. I honestly believe that we are a representative slice of what is going on in America.

You think with as long as we have all been together that we could manage a few decent non hate threads. Do we all really hate each other that bad?

I do not hate people in real life just because they don't hold my political opinion, do most of you? I'm curious.

It's a sad thing to lose your sense of humor, lol.

I was just making an observation as to how the threads wander and how difficult communication seems to be. Predetermined notions combined with misinformation make understanding another's point of view basically impossible and much of what goes on here is a pretty good example of that.

19April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/2/2014, 10:57 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:Fox News does not have the monopoly on stupid viewers.

I would respectfully disagree.  The format, the writing, the propaganda, the on air folks all working on a predetermined script which uses simple propaganda techniques is unmatched in media for the appeal to low hanging fruit.

I would also add the low-cut and short dress the spokes models wear. Surely that doesn't add to the credibility of the "news" story but does give the old geezers some eye candy. I wonder if their wives have caught on?

20April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/2/2014, 11:07 am

Yella

Yella

othershoe1030 wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Fox News does not have the monopoly on stupid viewers.

I would respectfully disagree.  The format, the writing, the propaganda, the on air folks all working on a predetermined script which uses simple propaganda techniques is unmatched in media for the appeal to low hanging fruit.

I would also add the low-cut and short dress the spokes models wear. Surely that doesn't add to the credibility of the "news" story but does give the old geezers some eye candy. I wonder if their wives have caught on?

If the female talking heads are not blonde,tanned, in heels, with short dresses, and sitting primly with their legs crossed they are not there.The grinning, condescending remarks made by Steve Douchey make me want to puke.

Some time ago someone coined the perfect pun when they referred to it as "Faux News"

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

21April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/2/2014, 11:11 am

I would assume most folks here do their best to ascertain the "truth" from what they hear, balance it with what is propaganda, and take home what is useful - which seems to be little. I watch the news on "liberal" and "conservative" programs but the bottom line is they are all out for ratings.

To call names of those who view the "liberal" or "conservative" shows is really simplistic and does not make for good debate. To call names or joke about the commentators on the "news" shows if full game to me. What a bunch!  Laughing 

22April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/2/2014, 12:10 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SheWrites wrote:I would assume most folks here do their best to ascertain the "truth" from what they hear, balance it with what is propaganda, and take home what is useful - which seems to be little.  I watch the news on "liberal" and "conservative" programs but the bottom line is they are all out for ratings.  

To call names of those who view the "liberal" or "conservative" shows is really simplistic and does not make for good debate.  To call names or joke about the commentators on the "news" shows if full game to me.  What a bunch!   Laughing 

Very nicely said. Thank you.

23April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/2/2014, 1:25 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

SheWrites wrote:I would assume most folks here do their best to ascertain the "truth" from what they hear, balance it with what is propaganda, and take home what is useful - which seems to be little.  I watch the news on "liberal" and "conservative" programs but the bottom line is they are all out for ratings.  

To call names of those who view the "liberal" or "conservative" shows is really simplistic and does not make for good debate.  To call names or joke about the commentators on the "news" shows if full game to me.  What a bunch!   Laughing 

Yes, I guess that what the talking heads are wearing does seem trivial but it is a point to notice. It is part of the whole propaganda, ratings game. Whether the person is dressed for the office or a cocktail party does not change the value or accuracy of the story being reported.

I prefer Al Jazeera America these days and if I can remember to tune in, PBS News Hour. The rest is for entertainment. None of it can be trusted these days as there are too many vested interests behind the scenes ready to get us into another war or protest another bill before Congress. I don't think the public really stands a chance anymore. Really.

24April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/2/2014, 2:46 pm

2seaoat

The sad state of the news is not by accident. The failure of newspapers has created a huge void in competent reporting. The valued profession has become the part time job of college kids covering the local city hall meeting who neither understand the issues, but who usually report the facts incorrectly. Multiply this 1000 times and folks are picking up inconsistent and inaccurate news. Now sprinkle in the Oligarchs trying to control the tv news and you have a complete monopoly on the information being sent to the public.

25April Fools Day Empty Re: April Fools Day 4/2/2014, 4:56 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:The sad state of the news is not by accident.  The failure of newspapers has created a huge void in competent reporting.  The valued profession has become the part time job of college kids covering the local city hall meeting who neither understand the issues, but who usually report the facts incorrectly.  Multiply this 1000 times and folks are picking up inconsistent and inaccurate news.  Now sprinkle in the Oligarchs trying to control the tv news and you have a complete monopoly on the information being sent to the public.

As the librarians say: Knowledge is Power. Without knowledge the people have no power. It is a sad situation for sure and lets the powers that be continue to create more and more situations advantageous to their welfare. And so it goes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum