Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

hauling lumber

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1hauling lumber Empty hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 5:59 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

We are going to use cypress lap siding on the little shotgun in New Orleans. It comes in various lengths but we'd like the 16 footers if possible. Utility trailers from U-haul only go up to 12'. We have a truck to pull a trailer but I was just wondering if any of you had some ideas as to how to move this lumber?
thanks

2hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 6:19 pm

2seaoat

Try a heavy equipment rental place. They have 16 foot trailers available and probably cheaper than uhaul.

3hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 6:26 pm

no stress

no stress

4 feet over the rear will still ride fine. maybe add a little weight from something else up front to balance the load. be sure and flag the portion hanging off the trailer

4hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 7:02 pm

How about one of their car haulers?. I think they might be bigger. One site says 14 ft with a 4 foot tongue. Might work. You could grab a tape and check it out.

5hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 7:25 pm

2seaoat

If this was structural lumber, I would agree with Gunz. You do not want to leave cedar siding or and mitered siding hanging over the end of a trailer without supporting the same with structural lumber. You hit any rough road, or if you are a couple hours on the road you could crack, bend, or distort your siding. Always support cedar siding.

You can go over to Hertz on Navy Blvd and use a 16 foot trailer for the day for about eighty bucks.

6hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 8:46 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Thanks for these excellent ideas. This won't happen until next month. Just trying to get my ducks in a formation!

7hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 8:50 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

One way truck rental.....16 ft length.

8hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 8:56 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

sweet, one week, take our time, haul off asbestos to the landfill too, all wrapped in double 6 mil bags, ugh.

http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/Equipment/equipment.aspx?itemid=0240060&catid=s418

9hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 9:03 pm

2seaoat

You better check with disposal of asbestos.....I do not want to ruin your day.

10hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 9:26 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:You better check with disposal of asbestos.....I do not want to ruin your day.

Not to worry. I am in communication with all sorts of landfill people. Regulations are fairly standard. Prices vary from $30 a ton to $100 depending on the state. I just wanted to leave it on the house and put siding over it. It would not have been a health hazard that way but it got in the way of the new stuff so it has to go. Double bagging in two 6 mil bags seems to be the standard although one person told me if it wasn't friable we could just bring it to their land fill loose. Oh my. We won't do that though.

11hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 9:36 pm

2seaoat

Wear respirators, and I would suggest you get a second opinion on the disposal of asbestos, and get something in writing.

12hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 10:30 pm

no stress

no stress

if youre talking about asbestos siding disposal, I had a contractor tell me that unless the asbestos is particulate you have no problem with disposal. I can see his reasoning but I never got verification on his statement.

13hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 10:40 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Gunz wrote:if youre talking about asbestos siding disposal, I had a contractor tell me that unless the asbestos is particulate you have no problem with disposal.    I can see his reasoning but I never got verification on his statement.

Yes, there's a big difference in handling the friable vs the non-friable stuff. After buying the 6 mil bags especially made for asbestos packaging I called back to ask how they wanted the bags sealed and that's when the compliance officer told me that if you couldn't crumble it between your fingers, if it didn't turn into a powder, then you could (for this particular landfill) shovel it into the bed of a pickup truck and bring it in, no bagging needed! I about feel off my chair.

And yes, SO it would be good to get something in writing but I'm not sure that would even be a guarantee. It might depend on who was on duty when we pull through the gate!

14hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 10:51 pm

2seaoat

My experience with non friable tile or siding was that we were required to have double bags which were clearly marked hazardous waste. We secured the same through Waste Management, and there was a sizeable difference in the landfill costs. It varies from state to state and landfill to landfill. I have put anything I want in the milton landfill, but I never knowingly put hazardous waste there.

15hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 10:57 pm

If you rent a 16 foot truck make sure the Inside dimension is 16 foot. Some are 15 ft 7 inches. Or bring a saw. LOL

16hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 10:58 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:My experience with non friable tile or siding was that we were required to have double bags which were clearly marked hazardous waste.  We secured the same through Waste Management, and there was a sizeable difference in the landfill costs.  It varies from state to state and landfill to landfill.  I have put anything I want in the milton landfill, but I never knowingly put hazardous waste there.

The bags I got are marked with "Asbestos". How did you seal them?

17hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 10:59 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Mr Ichi wrote:If you rent a 16 foot truck make sure the Inside dimension  is 16 foot.  Some are 15 ft 7 inches.  Or bring a saw.  LOL

Yup, you're right, 15 ft 7 inches inside measurement.

18hauling lumber Empty Re: hauling lumber 3/28/2014, 11:21 pm

2seaoat

It has been over a decade, but I believe we used duct tape. I simply do not remember.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]