Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obama’s ever-growing insurance company bailout. The ships sinking fast.... The dictator cant bail fast enough

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Health-insurance executives are starting to warn of double- and even triple-digit premium hikes for health plans sold on the ObamaCare exchanges for 2015. But Health Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told Congress last week that any ObamaCare premium hikes would be modest. In fact, the Obama administration is scrambling to rewrite the law to make that happen.

After close of business Friday, the administration proposed greater bailout protection for insurers who sell exchange plans. The new rule sweetens what the Affordable Care Act provided (at taxpayer expense, of course) to protect the companies from losses. It’s illegal, because no president has the constitutional authority to rewrite any law, including the Affordable Care Act.

It’s a clear effort to head off these sky-high premium hikes, which would be announced publicly in the months ahead, further angering voters just before the November elections.

Until last Friday, insurers faced two options: Hike premiums skyward or drop out of ObamaCare. The administration is providing a third option — an enhanced bailout for companies that incur losses.

The Affordable Care Act, as written and enacted in 2010, already contained a bailout provision, Section 1342, to make insurers whole for losses up to a point.

Such losses were likely, because ObamaCare rules make it impossible for an insurer to offer “affordable” plans and still cover costs. The premiums have to cover a long list of mandatory benefits, as well as $100 billion in taxes that the law imposes on insurers over the decade. And premiums have to cover the cost of caring for seriously ill people for the same price as healthy people. Every state that tried this “community rating” scheme (including New York ) has seen premiums soar as the healthy, unwilling to foot the bill, stop buying insurance.

The bailout provision (known as “risk corridors”) was inserted to encourage insurers to set premiums low, secure in the knowledge that their downside risks were limited. It went unnoticed until last November, when public outrage over millions of canceled plans moved President Obama to make one of his many ad-hoc changes to the law.

As written, the law forced insurers to cancel policies that didn’t comply with Obamacare’s one-size-fits-all coverage requirements. But the president told insurers they could keep selling the noncompliant plans. When the companies complained that this sudden change would wind up costing them money, Obama health official Gary Cohen pointed to Section 1342 and even promised to sweeten the bailout’s rules to “provide additional assistance.”

And that help came Friday, when the administration lawlessly enlarged the bailout for 2015. The key change hikes insurers’ permissible profit margins from the 3 percent spelled out in the Affordable Care Act to 5 percent, a hefty increase. Another “fix” (this one to HHS regulations) would increase how much of premiums can be spent on things other than patient care — pushing it up from 20 percent to 22 percent — allowing more for administration, salaries, etc.

So insurers can make more money, deliver less to patients out of their premiums and still qualify for a bailout. Nice.

President Obama continues to dismantle his own law, hacking off some provisions and remaking others as needed in order to minimize Democratic losses this fall — health reform be damned. Other recent ad-hoc changes include letting people continue to buy their old, noncompliant plans through 2016, and virtually eliminating the tax on people who don’t buy insurance.

Popular with John Q. Public, perhaps, until he finds out he has to prop up the insurers who’ll lose money because of these changes.

But only through 2016, when the law says the bailouts will end. Conveniently, that’s also when Obama leaves office and insurers have to face the music.

No wonder the rating agency Moody’s just lowered its outlook on the insurance industry from stable to negative, blaming the “ongoing unstable and evolving environment” as the health-care law proves unworkable.

In 2016, it seems, insurers will start paying their due for embracing a scheme that forces the public to buy their product and bail them out to boot. Just deserts.

The real victim is John Q. Public — forced to throw good money after bad to prop up the president’s unworkable law.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/21/obamas-ever-growing-insurance-company-bailout/

take home point? If your in health insurance industry and obamacare doesn't get repealed. You might want to find another job. Because in 2016 when republicans take control and there is a good chance that could happen, I highly doubt they will extend this insurance company bailout.

ah I figured you people would be more concerned with the jobs of almost a half mil insurance agents in the country than you are the jobs of healthcare professionals.

guess not... or perhaps ignoring it will make the truth hurt a little less.  Twisted Evil 

dumpcare

Nobody cares about insurance agents, especially obama. Very few even trust us. Can't say I blame them there are more crooks in this business than you can shake a stick at. I had a woman call the other day that wanted me to look up what she had done with an agent from Coral Cables, on the phone, the day before. She has a policy with FB and just wanted to change it, when he was all done he told her she had qualified for a $550 month subsidy and he had sign her up for a blueselect plan. I said did you do a web conference so you could see what he was doing and so you could sign the insurance company application? She said no. I said while it was legal for him to electronically sign the subsidy (marketplace) application with her express consent, it was not legal for him to sign the insurance company application.

While she was telling me what her income was I was looking him up on the OIR website (she gave me his name) well he was not even licensed with FB, but was with Aetna and Coventry. I told her she needed to call the marketplace and find out what he had signed her up for and if she wanted to cancel because she could just raise her deductible on the plan she currently have and keep it a couple more years.

Now get this, this low life crook gave her an income. Yep, she disclosed to me her actual income last year was only $595.00 and would be the same this year. I asked her how she was living and her family is giving her money to pay bills and eat, but for income tax purposes, which by the way she does file is only the $595.00. I did explain if she kept this subsidy she would pay it all back and had committed fraud. This did go further, but she did call marketplace and he did sign her up for something, she cancelled.

While a vast majority of health insurance agents will be leaving the business this and next year there are other insurance products we can transition to and some of us have 220 (property and casualty) licenses we either transition or give them up for an adjuster's license. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I have sold life, long term care and fixed annuities, but it has been a while on the latter and there are some new laws. Oh and there is Medicare products for now lol.

Obamacare needs to be rescinded plain and simple. It had been about a power grab and never to help the uninsured.

ppaca wrote:Nobody cares about insurance agents, especially obama. Very few even trust us. Can't say I blame them there are more crooks in this business than you can shake a stick at. I had a woman call the other day that wanted me to look up what she had done with an agent from Coral Cables, on the phone, the day before. She has a policy with FB and just wanted to change it, when he was all done he told her she had qualified for a $550 month subsidy and he had sign her up for a blueselect plan. I said did you do a web conference so you could see what he was doing and so you could sign the insurance company application? She said no. I said while it was legal for him to electronically sign the subsidy (marketplace) application with her express consent, it was not legal for him to sign the insurance company application.

While she was telling me what her income was I was looking him up on the OIR website (she gave me his name) well he was not even licensed with FB, but was with Aetna and Coventry. I told her she needed to call the marketplace and find out what he had signed her up for and if she wanted to cancel because she could just raise her deductible on the plan she currently have and keep it a couple more years.

Now get this, this low life crook gave her an income. Yep, she disclosed to me her actual income last year was only $595.00 and would be the same this year. I asked her how she was living and her family is giving her money to pay bills and eat, but for income tax purposes, which by the way she does file is only the $595.00. I did explain if she kept this subsidy she would pay it all back and had committed fraud. This did go further, but she did call marketplace and he did sign her up for something, she cancelled.

While a vast majority of health insurance agents will be leaving the business this and next year there are other insurance products we can transition to and some of us have 220 (property and casualty) licenses we either transition or give them up for an adjuster's license. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I have sold life, long term care and fixed annuities, but it has been a while on the latter and there are some new laws.

There are bad apples in any large basket of people or professions.

Its going to be a lot of angry laid off people, Im sure there are already a lot of angry and laid off people in your profession.

At first just like healthcare professionals the story laid out for us we would be booming with new clients. Not true. And for you the same. not true, then they allowed un licensed people to sell the ins, then they took away commissions ( at least for the exchanges from what I can tell).

So add up the disaffected healthcare professionals and the disaffected insurance salesmen and that's a pretty large group of pissed off people right there. And that doesn't even include all the millions of people who got their plans canceled and had to go through that hassle of getting re-established.

When my daughter jumped health ins ship, I felt the jump over to life ins was very visionary.  Wink 

dumpcare

Oh yes, he added more pissed off people daily to the pot.

I have never been able to figure out Florida on this, on one hand they did not expand medicaid, but on the other seem to be fine with the unlicensed navigator's. FAIFA (Florida Association of Insurance Financial Advisor's) lobbied hard with the state about this and why they would allow someone not licensed to transact insurance in the state? Fell on deaf ear's. As far as I know the state would not even make their certification tougher. Sure the state said something like they couldn't assist in state agency's. Well they are and community clinic's are overrun with them. Enroll america is on every corner and alley, etc.

If you're daughter is with NY Life, Met Life, Northwestern, she probably knows if you're going to make a career out of it she should get her security licenses.
If she's independent lead costs will eat her up and she will have to watch her FMO. If she is with an independent agency then learn all you can and get out fast and go it alone, they will keep most of your commission's. You're in an excellent demographic's down there, if that is where she is. The middle of the state on down has also been really good for health insurance, about 4 to 1 than up here. Spanish speaking also have a big edge.

If she is independent one great source of leads is someone who owns their own P & C agency, they normally don't like to be bothered selling life.

She might want to go here http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/
if she hasn't already, there are many independents, FMO's, corporate reps and captive agents.

ppaca wrote:Oh yes, he added more pissed off people daily to the pot.

I have never been able to figure out Florida on this, on one hand they did not expand medicaid, but on the other seem to be fine with the unlicensed navigator's. FAIFA (Florida Association of Insurance Financial Advisor's) lobbied hard with the state about this and why they would allow someone not licensed to transact insurance in the state? Fell on deaf ear's. As far as I know the state would not even make their certification tougher. Sure the state said something like they couldn't assist in state agency's. Well they are and community clinic's are overrun with them. Enroll america is on every corner and alley, etc.

If you're daughter is with NY Life, Met Life, Northwestern, she probably knows if you're going to make a career out of it she should get her security licenses.
If she's independent lead costs will eat her up and she will have to watch her FMO. If she is with an independent agency then learn all you can and get out fast and go it alone, they will keep most of your commission's. You're in an excellent demographic's down there, if that is where she is. The middle of the state on down has also been really good for health insurance, about 4 to 1 than up here. Spanish speaking also have a big edge.

If she is independent one great source of leads is someone who owns their own P & C agency, they normally don't like to be bothered selling life.

She might want to go here http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/
if she hasn't already, there are many independents, FMO's, corporate reps and captive agents.

If I recall correctly the state and its people fought back on the licensing of navigators. We were once again called obstructionist. I am not sure what happened with this? http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/09/18/obamacare-navigators-pull-out-of-florida-return-federal-funds-83591

She actually went through some program and took some test, then got FBI finger printed etc to get her license. She is now licensed in 11 states. She is doing really well, and yes Met Life is one of them. That's why recommended it to you when you mentioned you were not doing so well.

As I have said in the past, I have nothing against insurance salesmen/women. I understand the yen/yang relationship we have.

dumpcare

At least one state and I believe that might have been Missouri made them get licensed. Only that one organization pulled out, but it is going very strong (navigator's). They are working out of libraries, community clinics, call centers and of course enroll america.

Good your daughter is fine and yes one key is getting licensed in other states since most is completed electronically now.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

So many gullible democrats believed......how many times was it said premiums and deductibles would skyrocket?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Obama’s ever-growing insurance company bailout. The ships sinking fast.... The dictator cant bail fast enough 01798_jpg37

ppaca wrote:At least one state and I believe that might have been Missouri made them get licensed. Only that one organization pulled out, but it is going very strong (navigator's). They are working out of libraries, community clinics, call centers and of course enroll america.

Good your daughter is fine and yes one key is getting licensed in other states since most is completed electronically now.

The state should arrest them. They are not qualified to manage that information and ut all at risk. as we have seen is true. this admin has put peoples info in the hands of common crooks.

we have slugs, thugs and crooks at the helm of this nation. It does not mean we do not know they are there. and soon, these fukers better be gone. Americans tire quietly, but we awake LOUDLY.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Obama’s ever-growing insurance company bailout. The ships sinking fast.... The dictator cant bail fast enough Awakening_The_Giant

sal, youre wife should be following this trend. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum