Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What do people do about dogs and thunder?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Last night my doberman became so terrorized at 4am from the thunder she jumped in my bed and peed all over it. She was frantically tearing stuff out of the closet to get in it. Tongue hanging out panting and eyes bulging.Running through the house knocking things over. I usually put her in the laundry room when storms come but I was asleep when this one came and I had to physically fight her to get her in there. This is a strong dog and that was no easy task. When my son was here he would wrestle w/ her but Jesus the terror is unbelievable. There has to be something to calm dogs down or desensitize them?

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:Last night my doberman became so terrorized at 4am from the thunder she jumped in my bed and peed all over it. She was frantically tearing stuff out of the closet to get in it. Tongue hanging out panting and eyes bulging.Running through the house knocking things over. I usually put her in the laundry room when storms come but I was asleep when this one came and I had to physically fight her to get her in there. This is a strong dog and that was no easy task. When my son was here he would wrestle w/ her but Jesus the terror is unbelievable. There has to be something to calm dogs down or desensitize them?

I've had quite a few dogs but never had one with this problem.  Large and small dogs, one certified search and rescue and another certified cadaver dog.  Now, politically correct called human remains recovery dogs.

I do have close friends who have a boxer/pit bull mix that just trembles from thunder.  Even before the human ear can hear it coming.  If they weren't home, she has chewed through walls and doors. They give her a doggy equal of a Valium.  They tried those coat like things that are supposed to calm the dog and it had no effect whatsoever.

Does your dog relax in the laundry room? I would never leave a puppy or dog alone when they were scared. I'd shower them with hugs, attention and treats.

Ask your vet for suggestions and I'm sure you have some good dog trainers in your area. Most cities have free obedience training programs and groups that work with agility training too.

Last edited by Markle on 2/12/2014, 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=CKTjnPWQyLwCFeZj7Aodw2IA3A

no stress

no stress

Thundershirt...best invention since sliced bread

no stress

no stress

Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:Last night my doberman became so terrorized at 4am from the thunder she jumped in my bed and peed all over it. She was frantically tearing stuff out of the closet to get in it. Tongue hanging out panting and eyes bulging.Running through the house knocking things over. I usually put her in the laundry room when storms come but I was asleep when this one came and I had to physically fight her to get her in there. This is a strong dog and that was no easy task. When my son was here he would wrestle w/ her but Jesus the terror is unbelievable. There has to be something to calm dogs down or desensitize them?

I've had quite a few dogs but never had one with this problem.  Large and small dogs, one certified search and rescue and another certified cadaver dog.  Now, politically correct called human remains recovery dogs.

I do have close friends who have a boxer/pit bull mix that just trembles from thunder.  Even before the human ear can hear it coming.  They give her a doggy equal of a Valium.  They tried those coat like things that are supposed to calm the dog and it had no effect whatsoever.

Does your dog relax in the laundry room?  
That's Human Remains Detection K-9......I have two of em.

The vet gave us doggy Zanax.

Last edited by colaguy on 2/12/2014, 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Markle

Markle

Gunz wrote:
Markle wrote:

I do have close friends who have a boxer/pit bull mix that just trembles from thunder.  Even before the human ear can hear it coming.  They give her a doggy equal of a Valium.  They tried those coat like things that are supposed to calm the dog and it had no effect whatsoever.

Whatever....

I still like the orange jacket I had that said "Cadaver Dog, My Day Begins Where Yours Ends".

Gunz wrote:Thundershirt...best invention since sliced bread

What is that?

no stress

no stress

Dreamsglore wrote:

What is that?
Its simply a jacket that fits semi tightly around the K9 and gives them a sense of security. Some have had had similar results by just putting a work harness on the K9 when bad weather approaches. The idea is to get the insecure feeling away from the dog and redirect his thought process. These garments somehow manage to do just that.

no stress

no stress

Markle wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Markle wrote:

Whatever....

I still like the orange jacket I had that said "Cadaver Dog, My Day Begins Where Yours Ends".
    Rockstar/squirrel......I know your type very well. Show up at a search with an "I see dead people "T-Shirt on and drink coffee and brag about how good the dog is....only he never leaves the crate. Some people do this to help bring closure to the families and some people just try to rockstar through it.

Markle wrote:

I do have close friends who have a boxer/pit bull mix that just trembles from thunder.  Even before the human ear can hear it coming.  If they weren't home, she has chewed through walls and doors.  They give her a doggy equal of a Valium.  They tried those coat like things that are supposed to calm the dog and it had no effect whatsoever.

Does your dog relax in the laundry room?  I would never leave a puppy or dog alone when they were scared.  I'd shower them with hugs, attention and treats.

Ask your vet for suggestions and I'm sure you have some good dog trainers in your area.  Most cities have free obedience training programs and groups that work with agility training too.

I cannot hold the dog, Markle.She is almost 100 lbs. She is panicked and runs around like a crazy person destroying the house. The only safe place where she can't hurt herself or the house is the laundry room. She heard the thunder before it even started here. I couldn't hear it and was asleep. Even then if I couldn't hear it, I couldn't get her in the laundry room in time. The first time she did it my son had to fight frantically w/ her. She was knocking over tables and jumping on you and desperately trying to find someplace to hide. She will knock you down. I got her from a neighbor at 9 months who left her unsheltered in the yard. I believe she developed it then. She is a house dog now but sleeps in my closet at night next to my bed. She won't ride in a car either. We have to pick her up and put her in there to go to the vets. When we get there she sprawls out on her 4 legs and has to be carried in there. I have tried short trips to get her used to riding but she almost caused me to have an accident jumping on me when I was driving and just drools w/ her tongue hanging out the whole time hyperventilating..

no stress

no stress

Dreamsglore wrote:
Markle wrote:

I do have close friends who have a boxer/pit bull mix that just trembles from thunder.  Even before the human ear can hear it coming.  If they weren't home, she has chewed through walls and doors.  They give her a doggy equal of a Valium.  They tried those coat like things that are supposed to calm the dog and it had no effect whatsoever.

Does your dog relax in the laundry room?  I would never leave a puppy or dog alone when they were scared.  I'd shower them with hugs, attention and treats.

Ask your vet for suggestions and I'm sure you have some good dog trainers in your area.  Most cities have free obedience training programs and groups that work with agility training too.

I cannot hold the dog, Markle.She is almost 100 lbs. She is panicked and runs around like a crazy person destroying the house. The only safe place where she can't hurt herself or the house is the laundry room. She heard the thunder before it even started here. I couldn't hear it and was asleep. Even then if I couldn't hear it, I couldn't get her in the laundry room in time. The first time she did it my son had to fight frantically w/ her. She was knocking over tables and jumping on you and desperately trying to find someplace to hide. She will knock you down. I got her from a neighbor at 9 months who left her unsheltered in the yard. I believe she developed it then. She is a house dog  now but sleeps in my closet at night next to my bed. She won't ride in a car either. We have to pick her up and put her in there to go to the vets. When we get there she sprawls out on her 4 legs and has to be carried in there. I have tried short trips to get her used to riding but she almost caused me to have an accident jumping on me when I was driving and just drools w/ her tongue hanging out the whole time hyperventilating..
And you should never "shower your dog with hugs attention and treats" when it is in a stage of fright and insecurity such as during a thunderstorm. All of that is meant to re-enforce the behavior that you are seeking and you are definitely not seeking to re-enforce insecurity.

RottiesRule

I feel so sorry for your Dobie!!!
Thundershirt works. A neighbor uses it on her Lab.
You might want to consider a crate if you have room.
I have a 4x3 that has an adjustable divider which I used when house training my Rottie.
Now it is only used for toy storage  Rolling Eyes  and when I have company she doesn't like. She won't be able to chew her way out and there is a tray bottom if she has an accident. It's expensive, but worth it when you consider damage to the house and potentially the dog when it is in a panic state.
You want to create a cave like atmosphere, so put a blanket over it (that's probably why she likes the closet and laundry room).
Good Luck!!!
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=25123786&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

After rereading your post, I realize you have a hard time handling her when she is panicked. The only thing I can suggest is to pay attention daily to weather forecast and get her confined or in the crate beforehand.

What do people do about dogs and thunder? Index

RottiesRule wrote:

I have a 4x3 that has an adjustable divider which I used when house training my Rottie.
Now it is only used for toy storage  Rolling Eyes  and when I have company she doesn't like. She won't be able to chew her way out and there is a tray bottom if she has an accident. It's expensive, but worth it when you consider damage to the house and potentially the dog when it is in a panic state.
You want to create a cave like atmosphere, so put a blanket over it (that's probably why she likes the closet and laundry room).
Good Luck!!!
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=25123786&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

After rereading your post, I realize you have a hard time handling her when she is panicked. The only thing I can suggest is to pay attention daily to weather forecast and get her confined or in the crate beforehand.

I do have a hard time handling her when she is panicked and I am a physically strong person always have been but this dog gives me a run for my money. However, these dogs are extremely strong in a panic state. It is like fighting another human being. She has knocked me down several times unexpectedly jumping on me when I didn't see her coming. My neighbors are terrified of her but she is a extremely gentle dog except when her dog instincts come out. My son and I tried to keep her from killing a possum one night and we couldn't do it. She has never attacked anyone but she goes after other dogs barking at them and it is difficult to control her then.

Markle

Markle

Gunz wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

What is that?
  Its simply a jacket that fits semi tightly around the K9 and gives them a sense of security.    Some have had had similar results by just putting a work harness on the K9 when bad weather approaches.   The idea is to get the insecure feeling away from the dog and redirect his thought process.   These  garments somehow manage to do just that.

It is a shot in the dark. The folks that own the boxer/pit mix bought one and it did nothing. Someone in one of my classes had a similar problem with thunderstorms and their dog, bought one and no change. Worth a shot I guess.

RottiesRule

Dreamsglore wrote:
RottiesRule wrote:

Good Luck!!!

I do have a hard time handling her when she is panicked and I am a physically strong person always have been but this dog gives me a run for my money. However, these dogs are extremely strong in a panic state. It is like fighting another human being. She has knocked me down several times unexpectedly jumping on me when I didn't see her coming. My neighbors are terrified of her but she is a extremely gentle dog except when her dog instincts come out. My son and I tried to keep her from killing a possum one night and we couldn't do it. She has never attacked anyone but she goes after other dogs barking at them and it is difficult to control her then.

Trust me...I totally get where you are coming from.  85+ lbs. in a panic, startled (you do not want to sneak up on my little girl) or angry is a bitch too handle. I wish I knew of a magic cure, but unfortunately when she was young she developed a response to thunder and it may get worse with age.
http://dobermansden.com/calming-your-doberman/

Markle

Markle

Gunz wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Markle wrote:

I cannot hold the dog, Markle.She is almost 100 lbs. She is panicked and runs around like a crazy person destroying the house. The only safe place where she can't hurt herself or the house is the laundry room. She heard the thunder before it even started here. I couldn't hear it and was asleep. Even then if I couldn't hear it, I couldn't get her in the laundry room in time. The first time she did it my son had to fight frantically w/ her. She was knocking over tables and jumping on you and desperately trying to find someplace to hide. She will knock you down. I got her from a neighbor at 9 months who left her unsheltered in the yard. I believe she developed it then. She is a house dog  now but sleeps in my closet at night next to my bed. She won't ride in a car either. We have to pick her up and put her in there to go to the vets. When we get there she sprawls out on her 4 legs and has to be carried in there. I have tried short trips to get her used to riding but she almost caused me to have an accident jumping on me when I was driving and just drools w/ her tongue hanging out the whole time hyperventilating..
 And you should never "shower your dog with hugs attention and treats" when it is in a stage of fright and insecurity such as during a thunderstorm.  All of that is meant to re-enforce the behavior that you are seeking and you are definitely not seeking to re-enforce insecurity.

Would calm mine instantly, which is what I wanted.

Markle

Markle

Gunz wrote:
Markle wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Markle wrote:

Whatever....

Rockstar/squirrel......I know your type very well.    Show up at a search with an "I see dead people "T-Shirt on and drink coffee and brag about how good the dog is....only he never leaves the crate.    Some people do this to help bring closure to the families and some people just try to rockstar through it.

Are you sober? If you think I ever took that training jacket to a scene, you're a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:
Markle wrote:

That would explain the behavior problems. I would contact any animal rescue facilities in your area. They frequently have animals with similar behavior problems and can advise you how to proceed. I would suggest obedience training once you can safely get her in a car. I hate people who have a dog and treat is as yours was treated. It is a long hard process to refine their behavior.

I feel sorry for you both.

2seaoat

Our 13 year old developed anxiety with storms about at the age of 7. She will sense a storm twenty minutes before we even realize the same. She pants and tries to get as close to us and often jumps in my lazy boy if there is a close strike like two years ago when our well was knocked out and the house shook. The pup and our german shepard who passed never were bothered.

We have never been able to relieve that anxiety and it sounds like you should try Gunz's recommendation, but I would think you want to be watching a weather channel and get the accessory on the dog way before they begin to react. The smoke detector beeping also sets her into this anxiety mode because she associates the same with loss of power during a storm. At first we tried to shower her with affection and holding her......it did nothing. Now I have put a bean bag under a desk where I never slide a chair into the space under the desk, and we find the tighter area where she sleeps in the bean bag lowers her anxiety during the storm, but she still LOUDLY pants working herself up, but stays stationary in the bean bag.

Now I got a new problem. I woke up this morning and she had urinated in my bed for the second night in a row. I had washed everything the night before. The comforter, mattress pad,bedsheets. I cleaned out a spot in my closet because she was lying on my shoes and purses and put down some blankets and now she won't go in there. I found her this morning in my office closet laying on top of my stuff squishing everything. I don't know what is causing this behavior because nothing has changed. I need a dog psychiatrist.

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:Now I got a new problem. I woke up this morning and she had urinated in my bed for the second night in a row. I had washed everything the night before. The comforter, mattress pad,bedsheets. I cleaned out a spot in my closet because she was lying on my shoes and purses and put down some blankets and now she won't go in there. I found her this morning in my office closet laying on top of my stuff squishing everything. I don't know what is causing this behavior because nothing has changed. I need a dog psychiatrist.

You need a good dog trainer to work with you and the dog. Your vet is a source as well as your animal shelter.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

I must reiterate what other posters on here have said. The thunder shirt if the best. We have a Maltese and when we first got him, the first sound of thunder or even fireworks, he would either run and hide or jump on my or my wife's lap and shiver until it was over. We bought a thunder-shirt at a friends request and viola, no more running and hiding  or lap hopping.

The thunder-shirt is highly recommended by yours truly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum