Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A new trend in education.(to me)

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

As some of you know. my daughter works for a  aggressive and successful(so far) computer software company in Austin Texas. There seems to be a growing demand for developers.  To fill the demand,Programming Bootcamps are becoming very popular. for a person looking to improve or even find a career, it maybe something folks should look into.  
In her case the company, she works for ,  is going to play for the course and continue to pay her regular salary in exchange for a 2 year commitment to work for them when she completes the course.  
Might be worth a Goggle Search "Programming Bootcamps/courses"

Mr Ichi wrote:As some of you know. my daughter works for a  aggressive and successful(so far) computer software company in Austin Texas. There seems to be a growing demand for developers.  To fill the demand,Programming Bootcamps are becoming very popular. for a person looking to improve or even find a career, it maybe something folks should look into.  
In her case the company, she works for ,  is going to play for the course and continue to pay her regular salary in exchange for a 2 year commitment to work for them when she completes the course.  
Might be worth a Goggle Search "Programming Bootcamps/courses"

Labs have been doing this for a while. It has become less popular as our society decided commitment didn't mean anything. In other words, in the last 10 years or so people would get their education paid for with the expectation they would work for that company or they would have to pay back the fees. People would get their degree and then find a higher paying job and say seeya. Then its a huge process to go through litigation to have those fees put on the persons credit. some do, some don't.

I personally think its a great idea to help people. but people mostly are assholes these days and once they get what they want, that's all that matters.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I would love to learn to program. That is still on my bucket list.

Last year, I tried to take what was termed a "beginner's course" through Coursera online. I washed out the first week. Who knew the ability to solve algebraic equations is part of programming?  Embarassed The instructor took it for granted that students were proficient in advanced mathematics, I suppose.

2seaoat

PBulldog2 wrote:I would love to learn to program. That is still on my bucket list.

Last year, I tried to take what was termed a "beginner's course" through Coursera online. I washed out the first week. Who knew the ability to solve  algebraic equations is part of programming?  Embarassed The instructor took it for granted that students were proficient in advanced mathematics, I suppose.

That instructor should be replaced by somebody who is competent.  The idea that we program using languages like basic, and having an instructor bog down on elementary procedures denies the reality that most programs which are being used in business are at a much higher level in the coding which allows sophisticated editors which would never have anybody fooling around with that basic code.  Most are teaching the editor software.  Nobody writes a web site anymore with hand written code.  They use an editor and certainly learning HTML and other programing language is important down the road, the idea of fooling around with an algebra was more about an instructor making something more complex than it had to be..........no employer is going to hire a programer who is writing code without editors, and sadly most of these instructors are five years behind in the skills needed for people to fill the jobs.

I think you may be missing the point of the "Boot Camp" schools. They produce results in 10 to 25 weeks that would take over a year in a normal college setting. Granted that most are not for novices but their selling factor is that they produce results that people can use in the work place. They are not cheap and most use a very good screening process for new students. Fast tracking is the wave of the future. What you say about most instructors are 5 years behind the curve is true in many settings. But this is a somewhat new approach where people on top of their game are making good money by instructing others. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yeah that's how the Japanese trained their Kamikaze pilots. They sat on the ground with a stick in their hands....

Off Topic a little bit.  But take time to watch this video.. It shows two very different methods to solve a problem.  One is mostly theory and technical while the other is more hands on.

2seaoat

I understand your post entirely. This is a great thread and dead cinch on target. Our schools are not doing the job required to teach skills for the technical jobs which keep our economy productive. I have gone to Junior colleges and screamed because of the total inadequacy of vocational skills being taught by taxpayer supported schools.

I was building databases and ecommerce sites for real estate transactions working with major title companies in 2000. I became so frustrated with the utter lack of skills of graduates from the junior college, I made a stink and showed which tech books were on the shelf to board members. In some cases they had books which dealt with punchcards, and they were teaching classes like BD said was being bogged down by algebra calculations. I guess I would compare this to an instructor teaching students how to use a sliderule in 2014.

I was self taught. I was able to get into a school where I paid a reasonable fee which gave me one year to do current online courses with all the major editing software and coding. I never took a computer course in college, yet I could build ecommerce sites from online current editors, and I would job out tough code requirements in international job markets where I had bids to complete my coding from across the world where my skills had not caught up. We built an amazing concept plan and changed the way title services were provide.

Currently the Japanese are buiding two new plants where I have a business association with the president of the board of education. They have gone to the local community college and created your boot camp concept, not only on programing, but have brought in state of the art welding equipment and starting as Sophomore in high school these kids are getting specialized and advance training which gives them the skills to fill positions in both new plants, and the word on the street is more is coming because of what you are talking about. A group twenty years ago started buying farmland and created an economic development partnership with the business community, and the input from the business community was training and intensive boot camp training getting kids before they developed bad habits. This concept is great for America, but how to we get these tenured professors and teachers who think teaching sliderule or algebra is what american manufacturing needs. good thread.

Wow. i have a lot to say but I dont know where to start. I am completely taken away by the access to knowledge.
What used to take hours or even days can be had right in your hand, on a job site in a matter of minutes. I can not tell you the number of times I have been stymied on a project. Sometimes over some thing very simple. Maybe rebuilding a big diesel and wondering which way does the piston rings go. Bevel up or down? What is the end gap? Sometimes you had a service manual but most of the time you did not. Now you can call, watch a video, or access a online site and have that info in minutes.
The future is here. Some how we must rid our education system of antiquated methods and embrace the modern tools of today.
I am tired to night and I Need to rest my eye(s). Maybe we can continue this thread and hope it might benefit some one. Later

2seaoat

Well when you wake up, you can read this, but you are correct again on how we share information online. Most tracked skid loaders have issues with bearing failure in the drive train which runs inside the rubber track. Over the years working in the clay and sand of Florida the bearing failures where accelerated and I was constantly losing machine time and paying expensive repairs. I finally started watching when I needed a field repair and began looking at utubes. Over the years I quit buying original bobcat parts and began installing everything which became increasingly more difficult when they took the lung in 2008. However, we learned tricks and sequences which used to take years for an experienced mechanics who I worked with for three years in high school and college at auto dealers. In those days they would have the part book and a ringed notebook with drawings, but today you can literally ask a question of a bobcat mechanic online which you bid your question and they will give you a list of three or four repairs which should address the issue and utubes showing the repair. It is fricking amazing, yet our schools have for the most part abandoned vocational students and educates folks in liberal arts which is fine, but those kids are not able to fill the four million technical jobs which will drive our modern economy and allow a rebirth in American industry.

I do not think you can let the teachers try to reform this mess. I think community partnerships with business and this boot camp concept is the only answer. I see all these private colleges which have popped up in the last 30 years who rip students off and make it easy to get loans and then graduate with 50k of debt and minimal job skills to fill our job openings. I am so proud of what this friend has done as president of the school board, and he is a farmer with an excavating business on the side.....we need to get this common sense back into the system, and frankly boot the folks to the curb who are a decade behind.

We live in a new world.  You can take free courses from MIT from the comfort of your home with even a 100 dollar tablet.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/
“The idea is simple: to publish all of our course materials online and make them widely available to everyone.”
Dick K.P. Yue, Professor, MIT School of Engineering

Unlocking Knowledge

MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) is a web-based publication of virtually all MIT course content. OCW is open and available to the world and is a permanent MIT activity.

View a list of our most visited courses

Empowering Minds

Through OCW, educators improve courses and curricula, making their schools more effective; students find additional resources to help them succeed; and independent learners enrich their lives and use the content to tackle some of our world’s most difficult challenges, including sustainable development, climate change, and cancer eradication.

Read more about how our materials are making a difference

Courses by Department

Aeronautics and Astronautics
   Anthropology
   Architecture
   Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation
   Biological Engineering
   Biology
   Brain and Cognitive Sciences
   Chemical Engineering
   Chemistry
   Civil and Environmental Engineering
   Comparative Media Studies
   Comparative Media Studies/Writing
   Concourse
   Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
   Economics
   Edgerton Center
   Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
   Engineering Systems Division
   Experimental Study Group
   Foreign Languages and Literatures

Health Sciences and Technology
   History
   Linguistics and Philosophy
   Literature
   Materials Science and Engineering
   Mathematics
   Mechanical Engineering
   Media Arts and Sciences
   Music and Theater Arts
   Nuclear Science and Engineering
   Physics
   Political Science
   Science, Technology, and Society
   Sloan School of Management
   Special Programs
   Supplemental Resources
   Urban Studies and Planning
   Women's and Gender Studies
   Writing and Humanistic Studies

For the first time in history, almost anything you need to know, is free for the asking.  Cheap technology  makes it assessable 24/7.
We have the tools, we have the knowledge.  The question is "How will we use it?"  Will we let go of our archaic and stagnated teaching methods and rise  to the occasion or will we drown with a life boat within reach?

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

2seaoat wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:I would love to learn to program. That is still on my bucket list.

Last year, I tried to take what was termed a "beginner's course" through Coursera online. I washed out the first week. Who knew the ability to solve  algebraic equations is part of programming?  Embarassed The instructor took it for granted that students were proficient in advanced mathematics, I suppose.

That instructor should be replaced by somebody who is competent.  The idea that we program using languages like basic, and having an instructor bog down on elementary procedures denies the reality that most programs which are being used in business are at a much higher level in the coding which allows sophisticated editors which would never have anybody fooling around with that basic code.  Most are teaching the editor software.  Nobody writes a web site anymore with hand written code.  They use an editor and certainly learning HTML and other programing language is important down the road, the idea of fooling around with an algebra was more about an instructor making something more complex than it had to be..........no employer is going to hire a programer who is writing code without editors, and sadly most of these instructors are five years behind in the skills needed for people to fill the jobs.

I started developing sites using HTML back in the mid-to-late 90's before WYSIWIG existed.  Very Happy Taught myself how to do that using the "Nutshell" series by Musciano and Kennedy, which I still recommend to anyone who wants to learn the language behind what appears on a web site.

What I want to learn is how to do simple programming rather than editing or website development. You know, the "if" I design a program to tell the computer itself do "that", it will do it. App development, that sort of thing.

We're talking about two different languages that do two very different things.

But I agree - the course I took should never have been billed as a "basic" course if otherwise intelligent but algebraic memory-deficient souls such as myself were going to take it.

EDIT: And I'm not doing this with any notion of getting hired. I'm doing it just because darn it, I want to know how it works!

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Here is another place to pursue online courses. I call it my "bucket list" site, because I still have so much to learn!

https://www.coursera.org/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum