Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anyone seen the "The Butler"?

+2
Ghost Rider
2seaoat
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Has anyone seen the "The Butler"? Empty Has anyone seen the "The Butler"? 1/25/2014, 11:07 pm

It is based on the true story of a White House butler,Cecil Gaines, who worked there through 8 presidencies and the Civil Rights movement. I especially liked the Nixson scenes. What a terrible blot on this country for what was done to the Afro-Americans. We truly have a shameful past.

2seaoat

We truly have a shameful past.

And a shameful future if we do not address the attempts to move backwards in questions of equality and access to vote in America. I saw two drinking fountains, and four bathrooms...........the fear is still present, and the attitudes have on the surface changed.....but scratch the surface, and you will find folks who are actively trying to return to the good old days.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Nope and do not intend too. Call me racist if you like, so be it. I swore a long long time ago that I would never watch a movie that has Oprah Winfrey as a cast member. Forrest Whitaker on the other hand is an excellent actor.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Ghost Rider wrote:Nope and do not intend too. Call me racist if you like, so be it. I swore a long long time ago that I would never watch a movie that has Oprah Winfrey as a cast member. Forrest Whitaker on the other hand is an excellent actor.
 cheers cheers cheers 

Ghost Rider wrote:Nope and do not intend too. Call me racist if you like, so be it. I swore a long long time ago that I would never watch a movie that has Oprah Winfrey as a cast member. Forrest Whitaker on the other hand is an excellent actor.

Why because she supported Obama?

Dreamsglore wrote:

maybe because shes fucking fake bitch like you

. wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

maybe because shes  fucking fake bitch like you

Shad up! You neurotic alcoholic fattie.

. wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

maybe because shes  fucking fake bitch like you

Has anyone seen the "The Butler"? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVnsTTke68r3y7-_5D6frfOd67VCfT4RFi-ma1LWjY5hBGTC00xw

I didn't know Dreams had gotten a sex change... Figures.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNknGIKkoA

Razz 

RottiesRule

Dreamsglore wrote:It is based on the true story of a White House butler,Cecil Gaines, who worked there through 8 presidencies and the Civil Rights movement. I especially liked the Nixson scenes. What a terrible blot on this country for what was done to the Afro-Americans. We truly have a shameful past.

I plan on seeing it.
She was brilliant in the Color Purple and Forest Whitaker has always been a favorite.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Dreamsglore wrote:

Nope, has nothing to do with politics. I do not care who supports whom. My dislike for Winfrey started long before she voiced her support for His Highness.

Last edited by Ghost Rider on 1/27/2014, 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

RottiesRule wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:It is based on the true story of a White House butler,Cecil Gaines, who worked there through 8 presidencies and the Civil Rights movement. I especially liked the Nixson scenes. What a terrible blot on this country for what was done to the Afro-Americans. We truly have a shameful past.

I plan on seeing it.
She was brilliant in the Color Purple and Forest Whitaker has always been a favorite.

Nomiated for 11 Academy Awards, did not garner a single one.

RottiesRule

Ghost Rider wrote:
RottiesRule wrote:

I plan on seeing it.

The Shawshank Redemption didn't win either and it was critically acclaimed...what's your point?

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

RottiesRule wrote:
I plan on seeing it.

[/quote]

The Shawshank Redemption didn't win either and it was critically acclaimed...what's your point?[/quote]

The only point, I'm making is the fact that I do not like Oprah Winfrey and will not watch any show or movie where she is a cast member. There are a number of movies that have been nominated and even won that I don't care for and will not watch. I make make my judgement of a movie by what the trailer shows. Using the trailer as a measuring stick has not let me down so far in my life time.

BTW, I have never seen The Shawshank Redemption nor have I even seen Gone With The Wind, any of The Godfather's and numerous others that have been nominated

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I thought the movie was pretty good. But I'm skeptical about how it portrays that one plantation owner. He is very very sadistic in his treatment of the slaves.
Now I wasn't there at the time so his portrayal may be completely accurate. But here's why it would surprise me if it is. Why would a slave owner want to turture his slaves? That doesn't benefit him. The idea is to get productivity out of the slaves. Torturing them would be the worst thing he could do to morale and would not result in productive slaves.
So until I can see something to corroborate it, I'm thinking that one character is just a hollywood creation used to get an emotional reaction from the audience.
I DO NOT trust hollywood to tell us the truth.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wait a minute.  I may be confusing this movie with "Twelve Years a Slave".  So ignore this review.  I'm no better at movie reviewing than I am weather forecasting.  lol

2seaoat

BTW, I have never seen The Shawshank Redemption nor have I even seen Gone With The Wind, any of The Godfather's and numerous others that have been nominated

This thread explains a great deal, GR went to HARPO studios and looked under his seat.......he did not get a new car, and decided not to watch movies anymore.....just the trailers.....because of their amazing similarity to what is in the movie.

The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite all time movies. There are a lot of actors I don't like but to not watch a movie because they're in it would be my loss.

Sal

Sal

Dreamsglore wrote:The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite all time movies.

Yah.

Shawshank was great, and the first two Godfathers were epic films.

I've seen bits and pieces of Gone with the Wind, but never made it through the whole thing.

Just not my cup of tea.

There are a lot of actors I don't like but to not watch a movie because they're in it would be my loss.

That is kinda odd.

I never cared for Oprah's television personality so I didn't watch her show, but she has been pretty damn good in the films I've seen where she appeared.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Dreamsglore wrote:The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite all time movies. There are a lot of actors I don't like but to not watch a movie because they're in it would be my loss.

If you had read my previous post, you would have noticed that cast membership is not he only reason I do not watch some movies.Matter of fact the only actor/actress that I categorgically refuse to watch is Oprah Winfrey. So what if it is a good movie she plays in, then it is my lose. Trailers are my judging factor on whether I will watch a particular movie or not.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum