Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Home Owners Insurance....no Photo ID

+4
knothead
QueenOfHearts
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Any one notice an increase in their home owners insurance?
My insurance with Universal went from $3,000 to $4,900...good grief that's over a 60% increase.......I'm livid.

Just kidding about the photo ID....but the insurance will require photos.

2seaoat

It is going to get much worse with flood insurance.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:It is going to get much worse with flood insurance.

I know.....but I don't have flood issues. I'm m sure some of the bayfont and canal homes will be going up for sale.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Joanimaroni wrote:Any one notice an increase in their home owners insurance?
My insurance with Universal went from $3,000 to $4,900...good grief that's over a 60% increase.......I'm livid.

Just kidding about the photo ID....but the insurance will require photos.

Wow, that is a big increase. Did you ask the reason? I don't think mine went up that much (percentage) even after Ivan!

My insurance w/ USAA went up about 25% and I dropped their replacement cost coverage. I figure I'll save that money for every year we don't have a hurricane and replace my own furniture. I would look for another carrier. Try St.John's. I think they're fairly reasonable. Insurance companies always overestimate how much it costs to replace your house anyway.

knothead

knothead

Last year, following a substantial increase in homeowners rates, I called my agent asking why? He said the Florida Insurance Commissioner had given blanket approval for increases resulting in across-the-board rate increases. I have never submitted a single claim on the 'homeowner' portion in thirty years yet the premium increased $600 . . . therefore, in his short and abbreviated response to my inquiry it was "because they can".

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Yes on the HO3 and flood. Two homes and all 4 policies have gone up.

If you are interested in finding, or changing HO or Auto insurance companies - try this site:

http://www.floir.com/choices/

Here's an article from the Florida Current:

http://www.thefloridacurrent.com/article.cfm?id=36078349

It says nothing about the commissioner giving insurance companies carte blanche with their rates.  It does say that Florida has the highest rates, but also says that some Florida companies have lowered their rates while others raised theirs.

The report mentioned in the above article says the "trend" in rates is downward compared to last year:

http://static-lobbytools.s3.amazonaws.com/press/64664_oir_report_to_cfo_jeff_atwater_on_property_insurance.pd

There may be more going on with Joani's increase.  Maybe her property is close to the water.

If you are interested in finding, or changing HO or Auto insurance companies - try this site:

http://www.floir.com/choices/

Here's an article from the Florida Current:

http://www.thefloridacurrent.com/article.cfm?id=36078349

It says nothing about the commissioner giving insurance companies carte blanche with their rates.  It does say that Florida has the highest rates, but also says that some Florida companies have lowered their rates while others raised theirs.

The report mentioned in the above article says the "trend" in rates is downward compared to last year:

http://static-lobbytools.s3.amazonaws.com/press/64664_oir_report_to_cfo_jeff_atwater_on_property_insurance.pd

There may be more going on with Joani's increase.  Maybe her property is close to the water.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Thanks Cola.

I am dealing with an agent that will be able to get a lower rate for me....even lower than the Universal original rate. He said Universal increased their rates....mine was one of the highest increases. Lucky me.

After Ivan, my rate with State Farm increased almost 400%......it went to $7600 so I went with Universal. My insurance damages from Ivan was a roof and pool liner. I filed a complaint with the State of Florida Insurance Commission. I got a 4 page detailed legal-eze explanation that never stated why a 400% increase was allowed. In other words I couldn't understand a damn thing neither could an insurance agent.

Olddaze, years ago told me about ST. John's. Unfortunately, when I called they had stopped writing in Florida.

Joanimaroni wrote:Thanks Cola.

I am dealing with an agent that will be able to get a lower rate for me....even lower than the Universal original rate. He said Universal increased their rates....mine was one of the highest increases. Lucky me.

After Ivan, my rate with State Farm increased almost 400%......it went to $7600 so I went with Universal. My insurance damages from Ivan was a roof and pool liner. I filed a complaint with the State of Florida Insurance Commission. I got a 4 page detailed legal-eze explanation that never stated why a 400% increase was allowed. In other words I couldn't understand a damn thing neither could an insurance agent.

Olddaze, years ago told me about ST. John's. Unfortunately, when I called they had stopped writing in Florida.

That's odd - the study (which is linked in the news article I posted) shows Universal Property and Casualty Insurance Company has lowered its rate. Of course, other factors may determine your final premium.  Try the search tool.  Also, I know of people with property in Pcola - not GB - who have had good success with Tower Hill. TH has several property companies under its umbrella, e.g., Tower Hill Prime, Tower Hill Select, etc.  Your agent can check.  

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

colaguy wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Thanks Cola.

That's odd - the study (which is linked in the news article I posted) shows Universal Property and Casualty Insurance Company has lowered its rate. Of course, other factors may determine your final premium.  Try the search tool.  Also, I know of people with property in Pcola - not GB - who have had good success with Tower Hill. TH has several property companies under its umbrella, e.g., Tower Hill Prime, Tower Hill Select, etc.  Your agent can check.  

Ok thanks. BTW....my sister is in the insurance businesss. She said the same thing about Universal increases.

RottiesRule

I feel your pain, Joani.
Recently got a notice from mortgage company about "Escrow Shortage" of $831.32.
Called them (GreenTree) who just bought my Mortgage from Bank of America last year (April). They describe it as a "cushion" just in case my Property Tax/House Insurance rates go up this year. My escrow was already projected months before and was adjusted due to slight raise in Homeowners Ins.
I asked if there was an actual escrow shortage and she said no.

I was beyond Livid. That is one hell of a "cushion".

Renters may actually be smarter than those of us who buy.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RottiesRule wrote:I feel your pain, Joani.
Called them (GreenTree) who just bought my Mortgage from Bank of America last year (April). They describe it as a "cushion" just in case my Property Tax/House Insurance rates go up this year. My escrow was already projected months before and was adjusted due to slight raise in Homeowners Ins.

That sounds like BS......tell them to notify you when there is actually a shortage. No sense in them using your money and interest.

RottiesRule

Joanimaroni wrote:
RottiesRule wrote:I feel your pain, Joani.

That sounds like BS......tell them to notify you when there is actually a shortage. No sense in them using your money and  interest.

Trust me, I tried to reason with the A-holes. I asked to speak with the Escrow Department and was told they don't take calls. I inquired where the money would be held and they stated it would be put into my escrow account (non-interest bearing) and would be returned at the end of the year if no changes were made.
So, exactly how do I as a customer verify where the money is for a year?
I can't.
It is a scam and there is nothing I can do about it other than pay off the loan. I really do wonder what the use is of being the "good" citizen, having great credit and paying bills on time year after year to be treated like this.
I'm going to go make some hot chocolate and fantasize about a face to face with the executives of the company.... Twisted Evil 

dumpcare

Tower Hill took over mine except wind from citizens recently and they estimate my new premium this May will be $600 less and I live in GB. Last I heard all of GB was treated as being on the beach.

They're only allowed by federal law to take a cushion of two months based on previous bills. You can file a complaint w/ one of the federal agencies. I can't think of their name right now but you can google it.

RottiesRule

Dreamsglore wrote:They're only allowed by federal law to take a cushion of two months based on previous bills. You can file a complaint w/ one of the federal agencies. I can't think of their name right now but you can google it.

I'll look into that. Thank you for the info.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ppaca wrote:Tower Hill took over mine except wind from citizens recently and they estimate my new premium this May will be $600 less and I live in GB.  Last I heard all of GB was treated as being on the beach.

When I was arguing with the insurance company after Ivan, I was told my area was the same as a Gulf front home. Total hog wash.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Joanimaroni wrote:
ppaca wrote:Tower Hill took over mine except wind from citizens recently and they estimate my new premium this May will be $600 less and I live in GB.  Last I heard all of GB was treated as being on the beach.

When I was arguing with the insurance company  after Ivan, I was told my area was the same as a Gulf front home.   Total hog wash.

My home in GB on the sound carried the same premium as my Gulf Front on the beach. Same carrier. One was A10 and one V11.

The Gulf Front survived Ivan, but the sound front didn't. Smile

2seaoat

The state of Florida is cleverly playing the odds. Many private insurance companies have left homeowners insurance in Florida. Citizens has filled the gap. Citizens has not had a major hurricane in Florida going on five years. By allowing the premiums to rise to the level that private insurance companies can see a significant profit, the State is covering their downside now that they have significant reserves.....my guess is that they want to get as many people out of citizens and limit their exposure......and of course have a windfall which can be used to cover their butts for over spending.

A national catastrophic insurance pool would certainly lower the rates in Florida, but the farmer in Nebraska is not going to be happy.

RottiesRule wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:They're only allowed by federal law to take a cushion of two months based on previous bills. You can file a complaint w/ one of the federal agencies. I can't think of their name right now but you can google it.

Here it is-it's RESPA.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/rmra/res/respafaq

RottiesRule

Dreamsglore wrote:
RottiesRule wrote:

Here it is-it's RESPA.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/rmra/res/respafaq

Thanks again Dreams.
I've been doing some research and sorting it out. You were right. They can require a 2 month cushion (wankers), but they over charged by almost $300.00. I called and requested an adjustment, but I reviewed your link and will also request in writing.
Almost 30 years of mortgage payments on different properties and no Lender has ever done this. I'm going to look into options on refinancing with another company since Greentree is obviously a sub-par service agent and has tons of consumer complaints lodged against them.

Joani, good luck! (it's always something, isn't it.)

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:Last year, following a substantial increase in homeowners rates, I called my agent asking why? He said the Florida Insurance Commissioner had given blanket approval for increases resulting in across-the-board rate increases.  I have never submitted a single claim on the 'homeowner' portion in thirty years yet the premium increased $600 . . . therefore, in his short and abbreviated response to my inquiry it was "because they can".

As you well know, a big part of the increase is due to the drastic increase in sinkhole claims. Also, anything that happens nowadays people run to their friendly neighborhood attorney and try to squeeze every dime out for their contingency fee.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Markle wrote:
knothead wrote:Last year, following a substantial increase in homeowners rates, I called my agent asking why? He said the Florida Insurance Commissioner had given blanket approval for increases resulting in across-the-board rate increases.  I have never submitted a single claim on the 'homeowner' portion in thirty years yet the premium increased $600 . . . therefore, in his short and abbreviated response to my inquiry it was "because they can".

As you well know, a big part of the increase is due to the drastic increase in sinkhole claims.  Also, anything that happens nowadays people run to their friendly neighborhood attorney and try to squeeze every dime out for their contingency fee.

You're right, Markle and it's not always a good idea, but sometimes there simply is no option. I had to do that with Opal and Royal Insurance. They were a nightmare.

The Attorney and I became friendly through the ordeal and he told me that all the carriers have registered separate business entities in Florida so that they can bankrupt their Florida division should it be needed.

I never looked into it, but do check Best routinely.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum