Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bob goes to the movies

+5
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
boards of FL
Sal
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:11 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Bob wrote:
colaguy wrote:Didnt see Llewyn Davis, but saw the other two.  I pretty much agree with you.  I told my dad he could go see the Wolf of Wall Street - but he couldnt take mom.  And, while Saving Mister Banks had no sex, violence, foul language, it was entertaining nonetheless. But, remember, hollywood offers "stylized" films. While I'm sure that not all the things in the Wolf movie actually happened to Jordan Belfort, Mister Banks left out some of the true story of Mrs. P.L. Travers.

Looking forward to seeing The Monuments Men next month!

With Hollywood,  "inspired by" and "based on" always has to be taken literally,  and with a good dose of salt (much more than just a grain).
Hollywood has a very strong sense of creative license whenever it tells a story which has real-life events and/or real-life people as part of that story.
Whether it's a good or bad thing (and I have mixed feelings about it as much as anyone),  if you want historical accuracy,  Hollywood is not ever going to provide that.

The next film I'm looking forward to seeing is "Lone Survivor".  Some reviewers are saying it's the best war themed movie since "Saving Private Ryan".

I will be most interested in your review of this one!

27Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:15 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Mr Ichi wrote:I think Mr Oats was addressing the question of the theft of movie rights .  ie Torrents/downloading

Boohoo. Poor film industry and actors/actresses. How will they ever survive?

28Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:15 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Seaoat,  a serious response for you.

I spend several hours a day emptying whatever creative juices I have inside me (albeit limited) in the form of written words on this message board.
Not only have I never received a dime for doing that,  I really have no desires or wants to get paid for anything creative.  I do it because I love doing it period.

I realize that,  unlike spewing words out here,  movie production and distribution is very costly to those who fund it and they deserve a profit if it can attract an audience.  
And I give lots and lots of money to the purchase of theater tickets and DVD rentals.  
But if they can't cope with the advances in technology and they leave the door open for me to get an occasional movie without paying for it,  I have no problem getting one over on them from time to time.
If it gets out of hand and they are losing too much money,  then they need to find ways to put a stop to it.  No different than happened with getting free DirecTV (which I also did) until DirecTV got smart enough to put an end to that too.

I realize that I'm not on the most sound ethical grounds with this response.
But so be it.  I guess the devil will make me pay in the end.

Last edited by Bob on 1/16/2014, 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

29Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:18 pm

Sal

Sal

boards of FL wrote:I'll download it after work.  I also downloaded Gravity yesterday, so I have several queued up.

Watched Mud earlier in the week and I recommend that to anyone who hasn't seen it.  

Gravity is very good, but to fully appreciate it, it should be seen on the big screen, preferably in IMAX3D.

30Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:20 pm

Sal

Sal

My understanding is that movie theaters don't make a dime on admission tickets.

Their profit comes solely through concessions sales.

That's why a soda is $10.

31Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:23 pm

2seaoat

I think Mr Oats was addressing the question of the theft of movie rights . ie Torrents/downloading

No, I was specifically talking about Bob stealing the viewing of a movie by not properly exiting and paying on reentry to see that movie. I personally know a small two screen theater which closed down because they could not pay for the overhead and more people stayed at home. This resulted in our driving 15 miles to another theater. These small business people are starving and people who have the resources are stealing.......sorry.....do not give me any lectures about all politicians being the same.....they are not, and not everyone will steal from a small business and then try to rationalize bringing in food as being cheap. Bob....go back and pay the admission, and then buy a large butter popcorn and large drink.....you may need a loan because of how other people who share your behavior force prices up for the rest of us.

32Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:25 pm

Remember when the VCR was going to kill the movie industry?

33Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:28 pm

Some people could give shit less if all Movie theaters closed down. They would be if, they depended on me for any income. I am not alone.

34Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:34 pm

2seaoat

I realize that I'm not on the most sound ethical grounds with this response.
But so be it. I guess the devil will make me pay in the end.

The problem I have is that not all theaters are owned by big corporations who are making huge profits......some are mom and pop who work very hard to make an honest living. Small business people all over this country are getting robbed by their customers who in this perverse rationalization figure that they are making loads of money and that justifies their stealing. It is not a question of making things right with your maker at the end.....it is about conducting your life without hurting others......you have made it clear over the years that you think you should treat other people like you would like to be treated......Please go back and pay the admission.

35Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:37 pm

2seaoat wrote:I realize that I'm not on the most sound ethical grounds with this response.
But so be it.  I guess the devil will make me pay in the end.

The problem I have is that not all theaters are owned by big corporations who are making huge profits......some are mom and pop who work very hard to make an honest living.  Small business people all over this country are getting robbed by their customers who in this perverse rationalization figure that they are making loads of money and that justifies their stealing.   It is not a question of making things right with your maker at the end.....it is about conducting your life without hurting others......you have made it clear over the years that you think you should treat other people like you would like to be treated......Please go back and pay the admission.

Duh....You think their business model might be wrong.?  Screw them, they will be out of business soon enough.  Keep ya money Bob,

36Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:44 pm

2seaoat

Some people could give shit less if all Movie theaters closed down. They would be if, they depended on me for any income. I am not alone.

Sorry, not the issue, and I am not trying to act holier than thou, but next time you are bike riding and see a better bike, knock the person off their bike and steal the bike......because some people in Pensacola could care less if people steal bikes.......sorry, you both talk about the good old days, and in fact both of you have shown the great movie theaters in Pensacola's past, and these were local people who worked hard to run an honest business and they are closed. If Bob's mom knew he was stealing, she would kick his asz, so I am going to have to be her surrogate, because both of you talk about the good old days.....well it started and ended with ethics and integrity.....which everyone of us were taught. Bob if you were filing for bk, or you were having trouble supporting a family, maybe I could understand this.....but that is the problem....moral relativism.

37Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 1:48 pm

The theaters did not close because of my stealing. They closed because they did not provide a service that people wanted. Not a bad idea about the bike deal. I do need a upgraded bike.

38Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 2:01 pm

2seaoat

The theaters did not close because of my stealing.

Sorry the commercial storefronts are closed all over Pensacola and it is hard enough to run a business if loss of inventory and stealing is rationalized.....maybe you are right......the city represents moral decay and the downtown crowd stealing is ok......who would have known.

39Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 2:13 pm

I was one busy damn guy to close down all those business The downtown elite dont call it stealing. They use the words development and enhancements. The results are the same.

40Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 5:55 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:

The problem I have is that not all theaters are owned by big corporations who are making huge profits......some are mom and pop who work very hard to make an honest living.

We haven't had any mom/pop movie theatres here for several decades.  All we have in Escambia County now is Carmike,  one of the "big corporations".

When I skip auditoriums in a 15 screen multiplex,  it's not the same ethical violation as "stealing a candy bar from the concession stand".

But boy does this lead me to something I want to share with all you baby boomers.  And even moreseo with you younger than boomers.

After a youtube surfing session somehow I ended up with this.
It's the episode of "The Untouchables" tv show called "The Frank Nitty Story".  For younger viewers,  The Untouchables was a weekly tv series in the late 50's which was based on the life of Eliot Ness.

But for seaoat,  the Nitty episode revolves all around movie theaters.
And even makes a distinction between the chain theaters and the mom and pops.

This is really fascinating vintage tv.  The show is constantly narrated by Walter Winchell.  And this episode was directed by hollywood legend Howard W. Koch.
Pay particular attention to character actor Don Gordon's portrayal of Frank Nitti.
It's fucking choice.

41Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 6:13 pm

Breaking news!!!
                               Movie theather closes!!!

A suspect, known only as Bob, has caused the collapse of a North West Florida Movie theater.  The suspect has been alleged to have viewed 2 movies while only paying for one.   Mr Carmikle, owner of the 15 screen complex explains. "This was  the last straw that broke the camels back.  People seem to think we make a lot of money, but we dont.  I have a sick wife, and barely have money to buy food and shoes for my family.  We have enjoyed living in Pensacola but the theft of our services can not be tolerated any longer." The Police have some leads and expect to bring "Mr Bob" into custody very soon.

42Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 6:22 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I laughed my effing ass off, Ichi.  Razz 

43Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 6:35 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

seaoat, I ask for a jury trial. And I'll be my own defense attorney. And you be the prosecutor.

Here's my opening statement.

1. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Mr. seaoat may have a case that I'm an ethical degenerate. But he can't make a case that I'm a hypocrite.

I was in the coin-operated amusement business, your honor. And the customers would use all kinds of creativity to make my pinball and arcade machines play for free. For example, they learned with Nintendo machines (Donkey Kong etc), that the coin switch was sensitive to static electricity.
They could shuffle their feet across a carpet, and then touch the faceplate where the coin entry is, and that static electricity would trigger a credit on the game.

Did I react to this by saying "you no good degenerate lowlifes are nothing but thieves"?. No, I got a big kick out of that. I thought those dudes were pretty damn clever.

2. When I skip theaters, your honor, it aint costing the theater or the movie studio a dime, your honor? Why? Because I would not have paid the admission price otherwise.
In other words, it's a wash. Since I would not have bought a ticket to that movie anyway, they didn't lose a dime. And besides, I'd already given $7.50 for a stinking matinee ticket.

Your questions, Mr. Seaoat...

44Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 6:36 pm

Holy Shit!!!  This is serious  I just went by the theater!!!
Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 01WEB_pasReeves011413_750x5_12269756_8col

45Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 7:37 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Occassionally.....make that rarely I will go to a movie in Gulf Breeze when I have discount tickets.

I will never go to a movie in Pensacola with or without discounted or free tickets. The last time I went.....I was subjected to kids throwing popcorn.... buckets of popcorn, running up and down the aisles, people talking loud while I had to listen to the sound of their cell phones ringing.
Not my idea of an enjoyable entertaining couple of hours.

46Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 8:04 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:Occassionally.....make that rarely I will go to a movie in Gulf Breeze when I have discount tickets.

I will never go to a movie in Pensacola with or without discounted or free tickets. The last time I went.....I was subjected to kids throwing popcorn.... buckets of popcorn, running up and down the aisles, people talking loud while I had to listen to the sound of their cell phones ringing.

Joani - here's what I have observed: when I go to a matinee there's more of a chance that the audience will be younger and more unruly. When I cough up the full price at night the audience is older and well-behaved. I spent $10.50 to see Mister Banks and there were no distractions in the theatre whatsoever. And, no, I dont buy snacks at the concession.

47Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 8:09 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

colaguy wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Occassionally.....make that rarely I will go to a movie in Gulf Breeze when I have discount tickets.

Joani - here's what I have observed: when I go to a matinee there's more of a chance that the audience will be younger and more unruly.  When I cough up the full price at night the audience is older and well-behaved.  I spent $10.50 to see Mister Banks and there were no distractions in the theatre whatsoever. And, no, I dont buy snacks at the concession.  

I take my own popcorn.

48Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 9:23 pm

dumpcare

Bob wrote:seaoat,  I ask for a jury trial. And I'll be my own defense attorney.  And you be the prosecutor.

Here's my opening statement.

1.  Ladies and gentlemen of the jury,  Mr. seaoat may have a case that I'm an ethical degenerate.  But he can't make a case that I'm a hypocrite.

I was in the coin-operated amusement business,  your honor.  And the customers would use all kinds of creativity to make my pinball and arcade machines play for free.  For example,  they learned with Nintendo machines (Donkey Kong etc),  that the coin switch was sensitive to static electricity.
They could shuffle their feet across a carpet,  and then touch the faceplate where the coin entry is,  and that static electricity would trigger a credit on the game.  

Did I react to this by saying "you no good degenerate lowlifes are nothing but thieves"?.  No,  I got a big kick out of that.  I thought those dudes were pretty damn clever.

2.  When I skip theaters,  your honor,  it aint costing the theater or the movie studio a dime,  your honor?  Why?  Because I would not have paid the admission price otherwise.  
In other words,  it's a wash.  Since I would not have bought a ticket to that movie anyway,  they didn't lose a dime.  And besides,  I'd already given $7.50 for a stinking matinee ticket.

Your questions,  Mr. Seaoat...

I have a question? You have a donkey kong machine? How about a pac man and frogger? Who care's what you did at the movie? I thought you were going to say at the start of thread you wore a trench coat to the movie and you can guess from there.

49Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 9:25 pm

SheSurfs

SheSurfs

2seaoat wrote:Bob,
Next time you sneak into a movie, reach into their cash box and steal some cash and grab some free milk duds......its not a bit different, and I could understand stealing if you were wanting and needed to steal, but how hard would have it been to simply pay for what you stole?

Next time you buy a house on Santa Rosa Island, reach into the coffers of the citizens, and steal or grab the land underneath the house…its [sic] not a bit different, and how hard would it have been to simply pay for what you stole?

Sanctimonious hypocrisy in super-sized neon.

Last edited by SheSurfs on 1/16/2014, 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

50Bob goes to the movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob goes to the movies 1/16/2014, 9:39 pm

2seaoat

Next time you buy a house on Santa Rosa Island

A person would need a frontal lobotomy before buying on the island.....especially with what the feds are doing with flood insurance. I have never stolen anything except an old ball which had been hit outside a batting cage and was in the grass along the road. I felt like I found an old rubberized baseball, but I knew full well it belonged to the batting cage, and I never returned the ball. I have never cheated on my taxes, and I have never cheated on my wife. I guess you might say I have tried to follow the golden rule which Bob used to tell me guided him.......go back and pay.....that old beat up rubber ball still bothers me and if you think cheating and stealing is admirable.....you are herein sanctioned from talking about politicians.

If a business asks you not to bring food or drink into their establishment.....and you do, that is wrong. If there is no restriction, it is your choice, but they make their money like a gas station not from the gas or movie but from the retail sales.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum