Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lone Survivor: The story of another military screw-up.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

How's this for U.S. military teamwork and planning: A 4-man Seal unit charged with "terminating" a Taliban leader is sent into enemy territory with "sometimes it works," communication equipment, which, in this story, fails 99% of the time. You mean nobody knew their comm units wouldn't work in that terrain before the mission was executed?

Then the Seal team is bumped into by an old man, a young Afghan, and an Afghan kid who are herding goats. The Seal team leader says there are 3 options -- kill the un-armed Afghans, tie them up and let the wolves eat them, or turn them loose - thereby voiding their mission and most likely bringing on a chase by armed Taliban fighters whose numbers will overwhelm the Seals.

What's clear is that the Seals have not been properly trained nor equipped for such a situation. In WWII OSS oiperatives were given syringes loaded with drugs that would put prisoners to sleep for several hours. Evidently that low-tech solution has been forgotten.

Having let the prisoners go, the Americans are soon surrounded by Taliban fighters. When their commander realizes what's going on he orders his people to get aboard a chopper to go and help the trapped Seals. They are supposed to have two Apache gunships to accompany them for cover -- but, through an all-to-often military screw-up, the Apaches are called off. Our two unarmed choppers go in and one is shot down with the loss of the crew and all the Seals on board.

Bad equipment, bad military coordination, and a piss-poor battle plan, lead us to a conclusion where only one Seal survives.

And we wonder why we aren't winning in Afghanistan?

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

If they had been the kind of men who would have killed their civilian prisoners, this would not have happened.

Wow Word, I bet Marcus Lutrell would punch out whatever teeth you still have remaining in your head for running your mouth like that. I guess you never heard of ROE have you? And you're also one of the biggest whiners here of how we are committing atrocities on these people with drones and such, yet you think it ok for them to do some wet work on innocents. Hypocrite is what you are old man, a hypocritical, feel sorry for yourself cause your life sucks loser.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Wow Word, I bet Marcus Lutrell would punch out whatever teeth you still have remaining in your head for running your mouth like that. I guess you never heard of ROE have you? And you're also one of the biggest whiners here of how we are committing atrocities on these people with drones and such, yet you think it ok for them to do some wet work on innocents. Hypocrite is what you are old man, a hypocritical, feel sorry for yourself cause your life sucks loser.

What's with this "wet work on innocents" shit? I didn't suggest that.

Marcus Luttrell is a victim of bad leadership and piss poor military planning.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Wow Word, I bet Marcus Lutrell would punch out whatever teeth you still have remaining in your head for running your mouth like that. I guess you never heard of ROE have you? And you're also one of the biggest whiners here of how we are committing atrocities on these people with drones and such, yet you think it ok for them to do some wet work on innocents. Hypocrite is what you are old man, a hypocritical, feel sorry for yourself cause your life sucks loser.

What's with this "wet work on innocents" shit?  I didn't suggest that. Are you saying I'm for the Taliban killing innocent Afghans, or the Seals?

No matter how you slice it Pacedog, Marcus Luttrell is a victim of bad leadership and piss poor military planning. Reality!

Last edited by Wordslinger on 1/14/2014, 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My sense of humor)

Wordslinger, like your hero Obama, "you lie."

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Wordslinger wrote:

What's with this "wet work on innocents" shit?  I didn't suggest that.  Are you saying I'm for the Taliban killing innocent Afghans, or the Seals?

No matter how you slice it Pacedog, Marcus Luttrell is a victim of bad leadership and piss poor military planning. Reality!

Word, seldom do I agree with anything you write. As a 26 year Army vet, I agree with you 100% on this. With this you are spot on.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Wordslinger, like your hero Obama, "you lie."

No baby, when you claim I think of Obama as a hero, YOU LIE>

As for the Lone Survivor thread, show me where I lied, or go back to your room and whine.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Ghost Rider wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:

What's with this "wet work on innocents" shit?  I didn't suggest that.  Are you saying I'm for the Taliban killing innocent Afghans, or the Seals?

Word, seldom do I agree with anything you write. As a 26 year Army vet, I agree with you 100% on this. With this you are spot on.

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Frankly, it astounded me to think that the Seal team's commander did not know there was no comm where his team was to conduct their mission.

There were two basic screw-ups -- the failure of the Seal unit's communications gear, and the failure to provide gunships for the two Chinnooks going in to rescue the trapped Seal team.

It's incredible that the Seal team's leader opted to let the non-combatants go knowing they had no communications for extraction.

And there was a 4th option -- they could have taken the three hostages with them until they were far enough away to minimize being hunted down lby a pursuing Taliban force.

Bring em all home... there is no noble cause in this day and age... it's all too convoluted.

The money saved could float the most awesome defensive force ever known... and pay for the deadbeats too.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:Bring em all home...  there is no noble cause in this day and age... it's all too convoluted.

The money saved could float the most awesome defensive force ever known... and pay for the deadbeats too.

You've my vote!! Bring'em all home and raise the minimum wage, cut military spending 60%, and find a way for government to fund all election campaigning -- make it a federal offense with a mandatory 20-year sentence for any candidate to accept private funding in any form or fashion.

Yea team!

Worked so well for Neville Chamberlain didnt it?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Worked so well for Neville Chamberlain didnt it?

Chamberland had Hitler for a threat.

Who do we have -- al Qaida? LOL!

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:Bring em all home...  there is no noble cause in this day and age... it's all too convoluted.

AMEN pkr . . . AMEN brother!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum