Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anybody here own one of these?

+6
TEOTWAWKI
Joanimaroni
ZVUGKTUBM
Ghost Rider
no stress
Hospital Bob
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Since we now know the ECUA is putting out the filthiest water of any water system in the country,  I decided to get a pitcher water filter.
I know most people use a Brita pitcher filter.  But I've been reading about this thing on the google.  And what I like about it is it makes a pitcher of water in a fraction of the time it takes a drip pitcher (like Brita) to fill up.

But I'm skeptical of anything that sells for only 23 bucks.  So before I spend the money on it,  can anyone here recommend it?

http://www.amazon.com/Clear2o-CWS100AW-Water-Filtration-Pitcher/dp/B004918OPO/ref=pd_sim_k_1

no stress

no stress

You'd be money better spent getting an under the sink reverse osmosis filter from lowes.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That definitely would be a better solution, gunz. But I'm a cheapskate who doesn't wanna spend that much money.
In any case I wasn't thinking. I have a refrigerator that filters the drinking water that comes through the door. After reading more on google, it appears the filtered water coming out of that is as clean as either a pitcher filter or an undersink filter makes the water. So I think my best solution is just to always use that water for drinking and keep plenty of replacement filters on hand.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Bob wrote:That definitely would be a better solution,  gunz.  But I'm a cheapskate who doesn't wanna spend that much money.
In any case I wasn't thinking.  I have a refrigerator that filters the drinking water that comes through the door.  After reading more on google,  it appears the filtered water coming out of that is as clean as either a pitcher filter or an undersink filter makes the water.  So I think my best solution is just to always use that water for drinking and keep plenty of replacement filters on hand.

Bob you will get what you pay for. Brita, Pur and others like purifiers are no comparison to reverse osmosis purifiers. The likes of Brita and Pur do not remove all the contaminants. However none that I know of remove all contaminants, but reverse osmosis does a better job than most. Here is a good article that compares the different types of water filtration systems.

http://www.waterus.com/compare.htm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

good info, ghost.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The filthiest water? I don't believe anything put forth by environmental activist groups like EWG.

ECUA is required to regularly test their water under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA), and is required by Congress to publish an annual report of their water quality. Here it is:

http://www.ecua.fl.gov/system/files/WaterQualityPageFolder/WaterQuality2013_final%20(2).pdf

Please read this report and come back here and tell me where ECUA's water fails to meet the standards set forth in the SDWA...

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

You could be right,  Z.  But if there's one thing I've learned in life,  if you want to get an accurate picture of the performance of ANY corporation or government entity,  I NEVER trust or take at face value the picture that corporation or government entity itself is showing me.  
All it took for me was seeing what horrible evil lies were coming out of the tobacco companies to learn never to trust any of that bullshit ever again.

Now why is it that I should never trust what "environmental activist groups" are telling me? Are they just a fucking bunch of self-serving liars like most everything else is?

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:The filthiest water? I don't believe anything put forth by environmental activist groups like EWG.

ECUA is required to regularly test their water under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA), and is required by Congress to publish an annual report of their water quality. Here it is:

http://www.ecua.fl.gov/system/files/WaterQualityPageFolder/WaterQuality2013_final%20(2).pdf

Please read this report and come back here and tell me where ECUA's water fails to meet the standards set forth in the SDWA...

Z, take a glass of ECUA water and allow it to sit on your counter top for a while. Check it periodically and watch all the gunk that settles to the bottom. Then compare a glass of Peoples Water and you will not see half the gunk and contaminants you find in the ECUA Water. I believe you will see a difference as night and day.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Ghost Rider wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:The filthiest water? I don't believe anything put forth by environmental activist groups like EWG.

Z, take a glass of ECUA water and allow it to sit on your counter top for a while. Check it periodically and watch all the gunk that settles to the bottom. Then compare a glass of Peoples Water and you will not see half the gunk and contaminants you find in the ECUA Water. I believe you will see a difference as night and day.

There could be more sedimentation in ECUA water; I won't argue against that. But, it is not what you see that kills you; rather, it is what you don't see that is dissolved in it. My point is, drinking water is measured against the SDWA's Maximum Contaminant Levels (MCLs), or the FDEP's Florida Primary Drinking Water Standards (FPDWS) at the state level. These standards set levels for the amounts of organic, inorganic, and radionuclide constituents which are allowed to be in drinking water. You are not going to get all of this stuff out unless you completely de-ionize it to pure H2O. It is possible to do this, but those systems are too expensive for the average homeowner to use. And, if you drink nothing but de-ionized water, it may even leach beneficial nutrients and micronutrients out of your system as it is metabolized by your body.

I guess what I am saying is that our drinking water is really not the worst in the nation if it meets the requirements set by the SDWA. I take what most environmental activists groups way with a grain of salt. Usually, they cherry-pick data from questionable sources to come-up with the conclusions they derive. I will admit that I am tainted from working in the environmental consulting field for 16 years. I believe that America has the most protective environmental laws in the world, and there is no conspiracy between industry and government to slowly poison Americans.

I do not drink an tap water period. I buy bottled water and refill gallons at the Culligan machine at Walmart for 27 cents a gallon for coffee and tea. The refridgerator filter is unreliable. I had black sediment in my glass from one.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Dreamsglore wrote:I do not drink an tap water period. I buy bottled water and refill gallons at the Culligan machine at Walmart for 27 cents a gallon for coffee and tea. The refridgerator filter is unreliable. I had black sediment in my glass from one.

Dreams you have a pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I have a well and run the water through a whole house particulate filter then a charcoal filter and it tastes really wet, and good. I can tell when the filters need changing because my water pressure goes way down.
I ran a couple tests purchased at Lowes and it was as good as Pace water but Pace water has always been pretty good. With farms all around my problem is pesticides and they don't filter out all that well, so I hope round up isn't too bad a poison. Anyway we all die from something.

Joanimaroni wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:I do not drink an tap water period. I buy bottled water and refill gallons at the Culligan machine at Walmart for 27 cents a gallon for coffee and tea. The refridgerator filter is unreliable. I had black sediment in my glass from one.

Dreams you have a pm

Got it.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I have a well and run the water through a whole house  particulate filter then a charcoal filter and it tastes really wet, and good. I can tell when the filters need changing because my water pressure goes way down.
I ran a couple tests purchased at Lowes and it was as good as Pace water but Pace water has always been pretty good. With farms all around my problem is pesticides and they don't filter out all that well, so I hope round up isn't too bad a poison. Anyway we all die from something.

I can smell the chlorine in the Pace water. How do you know there have not been dead animals in your well water?

RottiesRule

Bob,
After 60+ years of drinking the water it may be safe to assume that at this point, if it's toxic, you are screwed.
Happy New Year though.... tongue

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

RottiesRule wrote:Bob,
After 60+ years of drinking the water it may be safe to assume that at this point, if it's toxic, you are screwed.
Happy New Year though.... tongue

That's probably the bottom line, rottie. lol

But back when I was a kid, the water was provided by the city (P'Cola). There wasn't yet a county water authority. And back then we were all told the water was the BEST in the country cause it came from underground aquifers that were fed by the cleanest of underground springs. Anyone who was alive and paying attention at that time will verify this.

It's all quite peculiar.

Jake92

Home Depot stores have little bottles and envelopes. You can fill the bottle with your water, put it in the envelope, and send it off to be tested for FREE.. Of course, they are trying to sell water filters also, so I'm sure the test will show something..

Lisa12

Law Environmental at Ellyson Field (if they are still there) will test the water for you. I had mine tested 18 years ago and began using a reverse osmosis filter until I left the home I owned. I now drink bottled water.

Pensacola and Las Vegas ... Dirtiest water ever

20Does anybody here own one of these? Empty Not Acceptable 1/2/2014, 12:40 am

Bluebonnet

Here's the ECUA's last year's glossy, colorful propaganda Consumer Confidence Report required by the EPA:

While I agree that they slip in meeting minimal standards, what irritates me are statements like these:

"Our goal is and always has been, to provide to you a safe and dependable supply of drinking water."

Why not, "….provide you the nation's best supply of drinking water…"?

or

"We want to keep you informed about the excellent water and services we have delivered to you over the past year."

No, sorry…you don't want to, you are required to do so by law. "Excellent?" Really? More like mediocre.

Why don't they say, "As customers ourselves, we are dissatisfied with the results this year and are not going to rest until we improve the quality of our water to be unsurpassed by any other provider in the region."

More BS and laziness in the Upside of Florida.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bluebonnet wrote:Here's the ECUA's last year's glossy, colorful propaganda Consumer Confidence Report required by the EPA:

While I agree that they slip in meeting minimal standards, what irritates me are statements like these:

"Our goal is and always has been, to provide to you a safe and dependable supply of drinking water."

Why not, "….provide you the nation's best supply of drinking water…"?

or

"We want to keep you informed about the excellent water and services we have delivered to you over the past year."

No, sorry…you don't want to, you are required to do so by law. "Excellent?" Really? More like mediocre.

Why don't they say, "As customers ourselves, we are dissatisfied with the results this year and are not going to rest until we improve the quality of our water to be unsurpassed by any other provider in the region."

More BS and laziness in the Upside of Florida.

But what in their report is wrong? What are your credentials to question it?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum