Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Retired Illinois Teachers Sue Over Pension Overhaul. Illinois with the Largest Shortfall in the NATION. $100 BILLION

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

Retired Illinois Teachers Sue Over Pension Overhaul.  Illinois with the Largest Shortfall in the NATION.  $100 BILLION

Democrats leading another state down the tubes.  Two former Governors in Prison, on a friend of President Barack Hussein Obama.

Decades of promises, FAR BEYOND THEIR ABILITY, are catching up with this corrupt state.  When do they come to the Federal Taxpayer for a BAILOUT?

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2991187730001/retired-illinois-teachers-sue-over-pension-overhaul/

no stress

no stress

So what is a person to do if he has traded receiving an honest days pay for the promise of a better pension on the backside. I understand the whole pension crisis thing but they cant have it both ways. If they are going to reduce the pension payouts then pay must be upped to better than slave wages so that one can pay into the 401 program of their choice. If not, then leave the pay low and continue to pay the pension costs.

It's a state run by Dumbocrats so what else would you expect?

Three former governors are in prison ... All Dumbocrats

hOR member and Jesse Jackson's son going to prison as well.

I don't give a damn how badly they run their state... as long as they don't get bailed out by the feds.

It could prove a lesson if the people are left to suffer the consequences of electing union shills. Serves em right.

Markle

Markle

Gunz wrote:So what is a person to do if he has traded receiving an honest days pay for the promise of a better pension on the backside.   I understand the whole pension crisis thing but they cant have it both ways.   If they are going to reduce the pension payouts then pay must be upped to better than slave wages so that one can pay into the 401 program of their choice.    If not, then leave the pay low and continue to pay the pension costs.

The problem is they are among the highest paid teachers in the country.  You're right, they can't have it both ways.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Maybe they should become a right to work state and put their union dues towards their retirement.

no stress

no stress

Markle wrote:
Gunz wrote:So what is a person to do if he has traded receiving an honest days pay for the promise of a better pension on the backside.   I understand the whole pension crisis thing but they cant have it both ways.   If they are going to reduce the pension payouts then pay must be upped to better than slave wages so that one can pay into the 401 program of their choice.    If not, then leave the pay low and continue to pay the pension costs.

The problem is they are among the highest paid teachers in the country.  You're right, they can't have it both ways.
thats not saying much these days. Teachers historically receive low compensation for their time

Teachers in Illinois aren't making peanuts for salaries. There are teachers in Illinois making more than county level adminstrators in Santa Rosa.

Last edited by PACEDOG#1 on 12/31/2013, 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

stormwatch89 wrote:Maybe they should become a right to work state and put their union dues towards their retirement.

The teacher union here is a joke and that $40 per month won't buy you much retirement.

Markle

Markle

Gunz wrote:
Markle wrote:

thats not saying much these days.  Teachers historically receive low compensation for their time
Now your pedaling backward.

School of education, easiest of any school in any University.

Does ANY teacher go into the profession without knowing the pay scale?  They also have the benefit of being off whenever their children are off and getting a full years pay for 9 or 10 months work.

If high pay is their goal, why not a degree in business, engineering, MD,  DDS?

Personally, I could not live here in Tallahassee on the average salary of a teacher in Chicago.  The main reason I went into commission sales, so I determined what I was worth.

Markle wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Markle wrote:

thats not saying much these days.  Teachers historically receive low compensation for their time
Now your pedaling backward.

School of education, easiest of any school in any University.

MArkle, then walk your ass right over to UWF and sign up for some classes and let me know how it goes...

2seaoat

Three former governors are in prison ... All Dumbocrats

Wrong again.....Ryan just got released....he is a Republican, and before him Thompson, and Edgar both Republican governors never used their veto power to stop robbing the teacher pensions to allow money to go into double dipping politicians and judges who could get two or more state pensions, and not pay one dime for their health care.  Illinois teachers made their pension contributions, and paid all their health benefits during the last 30 years as the bipartisan effort to raid the pension fund and allow politicians and judges to get a free ride on health contributions. The teachers in the new bill have lost COLA, so the politicians robbed the pension fund, and little old math teachers who just retired will never see their pension keeping up with inflation as was the contracted deal.

Bill just passed will pay down 30 billion which makes those folks pay their health premiums, judges used to work eight years and get a 130k guaranteed pension plus health care paid.  Now they have to work 30 years to get a full pension, and they pay their health care.  The state income tax has been raised to over 5% which will have this deficit covered in less than 20 years if the politicians do not vote themselves more sweetheart deals.......Ryan used former governor Thompson as his lawyer after his convictions to try to save his state pension.....one of three Ryan was receiving.....Even though both are Republicans, it was all about putting money in politicians pockets........on both sides of the aisle.   The new bill passed last month will stop the give aways which were stolen from teacher pensions.   Oh the good news former Republican governor and his clout lawyer Thompson lost on their petition to allow the felon to keep his state pension.   When politicians decide to rob from school teachers to pad their retirement and not have to pay health insurance premiums.....the greed crosses party lines.

Gunz wrote:
Markle wrote:

Guns, the average teacher salary in chicago is around $75,000 a year.

http://www.cps.edu/about_cps/at-a-glance/pages/stats_and_facts.aspx

and I do believe that Markle has a BS in biology, he could teach if he wanted to with that.

2seaoat

Illinois schools are probably top in the nation. With 100% of its students taking the ACT no other state tops Illinois which tests 100% of its students.....this includes every gangbanger on the Chicago South Side in the composite. When you pay school teachers what they are worth, they get good results.......now Florida treats their teachers like bathroom attendants and only 70% of their cherry picked students take the ACT and they cannot even get closed to Illinois.....you get results by what you are willing to pay your teachers........but if you have crooked bipartisan politicians which steal from pensions over thirty years to allow them to double dip.....you get the current problem......but the teachers.....some of the best and brightest in the nation......as confirmed by the ACT scores.

http://www.act.org/newsroom/data/2012/states.html

You failed to read even your own graph/chart. They have not tested 100 percent of students.... the graph refers to 100 percent of GRADUATES. Damn, I thought you were SMARTER than this...but alas I guess not.

The graduation rate in Chicago is far less than 100 percent.

In all of Illinois, the rate for graduation is 81.9 percent and I am guessing in Chicago public schools the rate is about 50% at best.

click link and click Illinois

http://www.americashealthrankings.org/IL/Graduation/2013

Now factor in that Florida is moving away from FCAT for a graduation measure exclusively and is also allowing kids to take and make at least 19 ACT to graduate from high school and you have a ton of kids who were not taking college prep classes who are now taking a college prep test. Do you think that there might be an issue with that and lower scores? I do. We are in the third year also of what is called "push-in" where former full time ESE students are put into gen ed classes and expected to pass regardless of their learning ability or circumstances. My first year of "push-in" was with Pre Algebra and Algebra I students. Many of the Pre Algebra (which is no longer taught in high school in Santa Rosa County) were counting on their fingers, didn't have a full understanding of all the basic math facts associated with making progress in that sort of class, and were totally intimidated by being in that gen ed setting. Last year I did consult kids who were ESE labled, but had the ability to pass in the gen ed setting because their disabilities were minor in nature. This year I am pushing in with two English classes of 11th grade students who have not yet passed FCAT or the ACT. Some of these kids are right on the cusp of passing, but running out of time. They were never in college prep class types, yet the state is mandating they take the ACT as an alternative to the FCAT as another option to graduate. So why are we making kids take a test designed to notate college readiness when they never took the classes or have the ability to pass said classes that prep them for college? Hmmm, sort of stupid, right?

Markle

Markle

Chrissy wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Markle wrote:

Guns, the average teacher salary in chicago is around $75,000 a year.

http://www.cps.edu/about_cps/at-a-glance/pages/stats_and_facts.aspx

and I do believe that Markle has a BS in biology, he could teach if he wanted to with that.

True

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Illinois schools are probably top in the nation.  With 100% of its students taking the ACT no other state tops Illinois which tests 100% of its students.....this includes every gangbanger on the Chicago South Side in the composite.   When you pay school teachers what they are worth, they get good results.......now Florida treats their teachers like bathroom attendants and only 70% of their cherry picked students take the ACT and they cannot even get closed to Illinois.....you get results by what you are willing to pay your teachers........but if you have crooked bipartisan politicians which steal from pensions over thirty years to allow them to double dip.....you get the current problem......but the teachers.....some of the best and brightest in the nation......as confirmed by the ACT scores.

http://www.act.org/newsroom/data/2012/states.html

Illinois students, by law, must take the test so duhhhh...100% take the exam.  Most of the "ganbangers" on the Chicago South Side are not in school.  They don't take the test.

From your source.  "In spring 2011, all public high school 11th graders in the states of Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, North Dakota, Tennessee, and Wyoming were tested with the ACT as required by each state"

As you know, Florida has one of the best funded State retirement programs in the country. 

You strongly support promises made to teachers, by Illinois, which they cannot keep.  Why do you support lying?  Oh...right...Progressive.

2seaoat

Pace Florida has been on the bottom of the ACT scores for a generation. Every Governor makes education a high priority but fails to pay to get top notch teachers. Money alone does not cut it, and that is the advantage of the higher paid states which have far better developed curriculum. 100% testing must be the measure. If folks are in school test them, do not let your poor performing students opt out to create an illusion.

Mr. Markle, I know personally the Republican whip in Illinois, and the raiding of the teacher pensions could have been stopped by a Republican veto for 20 of the last thirty years. It was not as these double dipping pricks padded their pensions, and had free health care......THE TEACHERS PAID FOR THEIR HEALTH CARE AND MADE ALL THE CONTRIBUTIONS REQUIRED BY THE STATUTE.....THE STATE FAILED TO MAKE THEIR MATCHING CONTRIBUTIONS FOR ABOUT 10 OF THE LAST 30 YEARS. It is more complex than what some try to make it.

Illinois had the highest dropout rate with about 12% of high school students dropping out in the 2008-09 school year, according to our database of high school dropout rates.

http://high-school-dropout-rates.findthedata.org/app-question/3066/Which-state-has-the-highest-high-school-dropout-rate

Recent research disseminated in a report by America’s Promise Alliance makes it clear that the United States is in the midst of a high school drop-out crisis of staggering proportions. The details are alarming:
•Every 26 seconds another student gives up on school, resulting in more than one million American high school students who drop out every year.
•In urban public schools that serve primarily low income and Latino or African American youth, between 40% and 60% of entering freshman do not graduate from high school.
•Nationally, 40% of African American, 33% of Latino and 8% of Caucasian students attend a high school with a 40% or higher drop out rate.

In Chicago, public school students are at even greater risk than the national average:
•65.4% of Chicago Public Schools students graduate from high school in four years.
•Only 38% of African-American males in Chicago earn a diploma compared to the national average of 48%.
•Over 38% of Chicago high school students are at risk of dropping out each year. 50.9% of African-American Males are at risk.

https://www.cityyear.org/CityYear/_Local/Chicago/1_Our_Work/Our_Work_in_Chicago.aspx

so no offense, but I don't think thee teacher deserve such a high salary with such a nice pension. remove the pension and give them a simple 401k like a private company. im tired of gov employees getting special treatment at the tax payer expense for doing a job no harder than any private industry.

these fat cat pensions are breaking the back of counties/states all over the country.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Pace Florida has been on the bottom of the ACT scores for a generation.  Every Governor makes education a high priority but fails to pay to get top notch teachers.  Money alone does not cut it, and that is the advantage of the higher paid states which have far better developed curriculum.   100% testing must be the measure.  If folks are in school test them, do not let your poor performing students opt out to create an illusion.

Mr. Markle, I know personally the Republican whip in Illinois, and the raiding of the teacher pensions could have been stopped by a Republican veto for 20 of the last thirty years.   It was not as these double dipping pricks padded their pensions, and had free health care......THE TEACHERS PAID FOR THEIR HEALTH CARE AND MADE ALL THE CONTRIBUTIONS REQUIRED BY THE STATUTE.....THE STATE FAILED TO MAKE THEIR MATCHING CONTRIBUTIONS FOR ABOUT 10 OF THE LAST 30 YEARS.  It is more complex than what some try to make it.
As you know, Democrats have been the governors of Illinois since...January 13, 2003 which is eleven years ago.

As you well know, Santa Rosa County has a school board which is responsible for the schools in your county.

For information about your school board.  As you well know...your local property taxes pay for your schools and the school board is responsible for the quality of those schools.

For you convenience:

Tim Wyrosdick, Superintendent
wyrosdickt@mail.santarosa.k12.fl.us

https://www.santarosa.k12.fl.us/files/contact_list.pdf

https://www.santarosa.k12.fl.us/board/peden.html

Markle

Markle

PACEDOG#1 wrote:You failed to read even your own graph/chart. They have not tested 100 percent of students.... the graph refers to 100 percent of GRADUATES. Damn, I thought you were SMARTER than this...but alas I guess not.

The graduation rate in Chicago is far less than 100 percent.

In all of Illinois, the rate for graduation is 81.9 percent and I am guessing in Chicago public schools the rate is about 50% at best.

click link and click Illinois

http://www.americashealthrankings.org/IL/Graduation/2013

Now factor in that Florida is moving away from FCAT for a graduation measure exclusively and is also allowing kids to take and make at least 19 ACT to graduate from high school and you have a ton of kids who were not taking college prep classes who are now taking a college prep test. Do you think that there might be an issue with that and lower scores? I do. We are in the third year also of what is called "push-in" where former full time ESE students are put into gen ed classes and expected to pass regardless of their learning ability or circumstances. My first year of "push-in" was with Pre Algebra and Algebra I students. Many of the Pre Algebra (which is no longer taught in high school in Santa Rosa County) were counting on their fingers, didn't have a full understanding of all the basic math facts associated with making progress in that sort of class, and were totally intimidated by being in that gen ed setting. Last year I did consult kids who were ESE labled, but had the ability to pass in the gen ed setting because their disabilities were minor in nature. This year I am pushing in with two English classes of 11th grade students who have not yet passed FCAT or the ACT. Some of these kids are right on the cusp of passing, but running out of time. They were never in college prep class types, yet the state is mandating they take the ACT as an alternative to the FCAT as another option to graduate. So why are we making kids take a test designed to notate college readiness when they never took the classes or have the ability to pass said classes that prep them for college? Hmmm, sort of stupid, right?

Being able to do basic arithmetic, basic geometry, READING, writing a comprehensive paragraph are not college preparatory courses.  They are basic courses to graduate from highschool

What do they do in high school today if not taking arithmetic, geometry, READING, English, Literature, you know reading and comprehending a BOOK?

Here is a major reason for the failure of our schools today.  Discipline and order are the major one.

Here is another MAJOR reason for the failure of our schools today.  The parents either pay no attention and figure it is the JOB of government OR they parents are not allowed to CHOSE the school they wish for their children to attend.  Something which is allowed for middle and upper income households.

An the final reason for bad schools: 

National Education Association General Counsel Bob Chanin stated in July 2009.

Chanin: "It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwxiRXqH_hQ&NR=1

Says it all, does it not?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum