Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Inside Llewyn Davis

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Inside Llewyn Davis Empty Inside Llewyn Davis 12/19/2013, 4:27 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The movie opens tomorrow.  Joel and Ethan Coen were interviewed on NPR.
This is an excerpt from the interview.

On casting and filming the cat in Inside Llewyn Davis

Ethan: We used the advice of the cat trainer ... [to get] a kind of orange, marmalade tabby cat, just because they're common, so easy to double, triple, quadruple — there were many cats playing the one cat. It comes across pretty well in the movie, but the whole exercise of shooting a cat is pretty nightmarish because they don't care about anything. They don't want to do what you want them to do. As the animal trainer said to us, "A dog wants to please you. A cat only wants to please itself." It was just long, painstaking, frustrating days shooting the cat.

Joel:
What you have to do is basically find the cat that's predisposed to doing whatever particular piece of action it is that you have to film. So you find the cat that isn't afraid to run down a fire escape or the cat that's very docile and will let the actor just hold them for extended periods of time without being fidgety. Then you want the fidgety cat, the squirrely cat, for when you want the cat to run away. And you keep just swapping them out depending on what the task at hand is.

Ethan: In True Grit we had a vulture, a trained vulture ... that was a pain and that was even — by vulture standards — probably a stupid vulture, and that was frustrating. But I would take a vulture over a cat. The cat was just horrible.

On The Big Lebowski's cult following

Joel: It developed the afterlife on home video. [When] it came out in movie theaters, it didn't do particularly outstanding business in the theatrical market, but it did in the home video market — and then it became some sort of cult thing. How do you explain that? I have no idea. It's one of the more bizarre afterlives, too, of any of the things we've done.

We were at a movie theater together with our families a year or two ago in San Francisco, coming down from a movie, and we saw there was a little booth set up with Big Lebowski posters on it and a young woman sitting on the other side of this table, maybe 17 or 18 years old, and Ethan stopped and said, "What is this?" And she said [without knowing who they were], "Well, we show The Big Lebowski every night and people come dressed up in costumes. You should come, you'll like it. It's fun."

On their editing pseudonym "Roderick Jaynes"

Ethan: We use the pseudonym cutting because our names are in the credits so many times already that adding one more just seemed like bad taste.

Joel: We sort of invented a whole persona for this guy.

Ethan:
He's British, as it turns out. He's written introductions to a few of our screenplays. ... We actually had to come up with a bio for him — you need bios for the personnel of your movies, I don't even know why, for PR purposes. I can't remember what we had him doing. He started out minding the tea cart and shepherding the studios. He's very old, in his 80s, actually, when we first started working with him, which would make him probably over 100 now.

Joel:
He lives in Haywards Heath, Sussex.

Inside Llewyn Davis Coen%20brothers-a626423737b1b580e87fba9c7fa33134cb3c894d-s3-c85

2Inside Llewyn Davis Empty Re: Inside Llewyn Davis 12/19/2013, 5:21 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The character Llewyn Davis is based loosely on the folk singer Dave Van Ronk (now deceased).
Van Ronk was a cohort of Bob Dylan's in the Greenwich Village folk music scene in the early 60's.

This is Van Ronk doing a cover of a Grandpa Jones song written in the 40's.
The opening scene in the movie has Oscar Isaac (the actor who plays Llewyn Davis) performing this song.

3Inside Llewyn Davis Empty Re: Inside Llewyn Davis 12/20/2013, 12:18 am

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:The character Llewyn Davis is based loosely on the folk singer Dave Van Ronk 

Last time I saw that name was when reading Dylan's excellent autobiography. 

I'm definitely gonna see it now (I was definitely gonna see it anyway). 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum