Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

D.C. raises its minimum wage to $11:50 and another place in wash $15 an hour.

+3
Markle
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

The Washington, D.C. city council voted unanimously Tuesday to raise its minimum wage from $8.25 to $11.50 per hour by 2016. Although Democratic Mayor Vincent Gray had previously opposed the measure, unanimous approval from the city council makes it unlikely he would be able to successfully veto it.

Other cities and states to raise their minimum wage in recent months include New Jersey, California, and SeaTac, Wash. Of those three, only SeaTac approved a higher minimum wage than the nation’s capital, setting the city’s minimum wage at $15 per hour

http://www.msnbc.com/all/washington-dc-minimum-wage-hike

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

DC is the richest place in the USA I imagine they have a hard time getting people to work there for peanuts....costs too much just to live there. I been there you couldn't pay me enough to live in that pompous hell hole.

2seaoat

So if all Wal Mart employees got 12-15 bucks per hour what would happen in America? The Walton family who are stockpiling their wealth will have less, Wal Mart will not hold an advantage in competitive pricing and will lose a portion of their market share, people with more money will buy more goods and services which will grow GDP, and America will see economic improvement. The minimum wage is so out of whack with 1968, some adjustments will make economic sense, and will contribute to wealth division being more equitable and out country protecting the low end of the middle class and growing GDP.

Will some jobs go elsewhere? yes. However, with more people having money the demand in restaurants will increase and if Wal Mart or Ruby Tuesday want to leave that state, others will go after that Market share. Minimum wage adjustment is long overdue, and if CPI adjusted rates are set which are near the 1968 level this country will grow stronger.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:So if all Wal Mart employees got 12-15 bucks per hour what would happen in America?  The Walton family who are stockpiling their wealth will have less, Wal Mart will not hold an advantage in competitive pricing and will lose a portion of their market share, people with more money will buy more goods and services which will grow GDP, and America will see economic improvement.  The minimum wage is so out of whack with 1968, some adjustments will make economic sense, and will contribute to wealth division being more equitable and out country protecting the low end of the middle class and growing GDP.  

Will some jobs go elsewhere?  yes.   However, with more people having money the demand in restaurants will increase and if Wal Mart or Ruby Tuesday want to leave that state, others will go after that Market share.   Minimum wage adjustment is long overdue, and if CPI adjusted rates are set which are near the 1968 level this country will grow stronger.

A far better plan would be to drop the minimum wage altogether.

What is the typical household income where at least one of the residents earns minimum wage?

When the minimum wage increases, what happens to all the wage levels above minimum that minimum?  That helps who exactly.

surfnrg

surfnrg

Thank god for the heathens Smile

bizguy

I realize the discussion topic has to do with the minimum wage in Washington, DC. However, some members of congress and the president have proposed a 24% increase to the federal minimum wage. About 3% of the US workforce works at or below the minimum wage. Most of those are unskilled workers, part time workers and teens. An increase in the minimum wage will serve to increase the unemployment rate among those folks because employers will need to get more production out of their employees to offset the increased labor costs. An increase in minimum wage will hurt those that it is intended to help.

Sal

Sal

bizguy wrote:I realize the discussion topic has to do with the minimum wage in Washington, DC.  However, some members of congress and the president have proposed a 24% increase to the federal minimum wage.  About 3% of the US workforce works at or below the minimum wage.  Most of those are unskilled workers, part time workers and teens.  An increase in the minimum wage will serve to increase the unemployment rate among those folks because employers will need to get more production out of their employees to offset the increased labor costs.  An increase in minimum wage will hurt those that it is intended to help.  

I realize that is really the only cogent argument against raising the minimum wage, but recent studies have determined pretty damn conclusively that is not the case.

bizguy

I realize that is really the only cogent argument against raising the minimum wage, but recent studies have determined pretty damn conclusively that is not the case.

I'm sure you could come up with one or more studies to prove your point and I could come up with one or more studies to prove my point. Instead, lets try using some economic common sense. If you force a business owner to raise his/her labor costs per employee, they will need to get an increase in productivity out of each of those employees in order to maintain their current profit level. Since the majority of people filling minimum wage jobs are low skill level employees, the employer will need to replace them with fewer higher skilled employees that are capable of increasing productivity in order to keep his labor costs and profit the same. A government mandated increase in wage does not equate to an increase in productivity. So, lower skilled adult workers and teens are replaced by higher skilled workers that are worth the increased labor rate.

Seaoat, most Walmart employees do male 11-15 an hour.

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:
bizguy wrote:I realize the discussion topic has to do with the minimum wage in Washington, DC.  However, some members of congress and the president have proposed a 24% increase to the federal minimum wage.  About 3% of the US workforce works at or below the minimum wage.  Most of those are unskilled workers, part time workers and teens.  An increase in the minimum wage will serve to increase the unemployment rate among those folks because employers will need to get more production out of their employees to offset the increased labor costs.  An increase in minimum wage will hurt those that it is intended to help.  

Not at all true but you would never accept the truth.

surfnrg

surfnrg

This is really at the heart and soul of Marx's communist manifesto.

A great read, an a precise indictment of this type of thinking about humans
As expendable capital to serve the higher means class

Markle

Markle

surfnrg wrote:

Could you translate this into English?

surfnrg

surfnrg

No.

Go read Das Kapital and then come back and post.

Yella

Yella

Markle wrote:
Sal wrote:

Not at all true but you would never accept the truth.

And do you always utter the truth?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Markle

Markle

surfnrg wrote:No.

Go read Das Kapital and then come back and post.

I didn't think you could.

bizguy

My comments represent a capitalist business philosophy. The great thing about a capitalist society is that everyone has an opportunity to create their own business and reap the profits of the capital they put at risk. It also provides jobs for those that want to work. However, to imply that an employee has the same rights to the profits as the owner(s) is just crazy talk. Does the home builder you hire to build your home have the right to the profit when you sell it?

bizguy wrote:This is really at the heart and soul of Marx's communist manifesto.

My comments represent a capitalist business philosophy. The great thing about a capitalist society is that everyone has an opportunity to create their own business and reap the profits of the capital they put at risk. It also provides jobs for those that want to work. However, to imply that an employee has the same rights to the profits as the owner(s) is just crazy talk. Does the home builder you hire to build your home have the right to the profit when you sell it?

Mr Bizguy. You knocked this one out of the ballpark.  cheers 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum