Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The incredible shrinking Moon... I got my coffee and I have been reading this..... Interesting to some

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

The Incredible Shrinking MoonUpdated: 2 days 3 hours ago
.Print Text Size
Lee Speigel
Contributor

AOL News (Aug. 20) -- Simply stated, the moon is shrinking.

According to a recent scientific study, including images taken by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or the LRO, the lunar surface has revealed a series of geologic faults that weren't seen before.

These small faults, which are caused by internal cooling of the moon, have been discovered all over the moon, said Thomas Watters, a planetary geologist at the Center for Earth and Planetary Studies of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.

NASA / AFP / Getty Images
This undated image taken by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter shows fault scarps just west of the Apollo 17 landing site (arrow). The previously undetected landforms indicate that the moon is shrinking.
"We know it's shrinking by looking at these landforms called lobate scarps that kind of look like stairsteps in the landscape," Watters told AOL News. "They're caused by thrust faults, which are generated when the lunar crust material is pushed together and pushed up, forming a cliff or scarp."

What excites scientists is that the LRO camera's high-resolution images reveal details down to a half meter to 2 meters per pixel resolution, and this is how Watters and his colleagues have been able to detect the scarps all over the moon.

But the biggest discovery about these structures, Watters added, points to the fact that the moon is still active.

"These faults could be so young that they may be indicating very, very recent tectonic and, therefore, geologic activity on the moon. One of the general conceptions out there is that the moon is this geologically dead body, and that's really not the case," he said.

Exactly how much lunar shrinkage are we talking about? And since the moon is directly involved with the rising and falling of global sea levels, should we be getting into panic mode down here on Earth at the idea of a smaller moon?

"Overall, it's only about 100 meters in the past billion years, so it's not a whole lot of contraction -- it's not something you're ever going to notice from Earth," Watters said. "But because the scarps are widespread, they definitely indicate the moon's crust has been shrinking.

"The mass of the moon hasn't changed; the overall size of the moon has changed slightly and become slightly smaller. Therefore, the tidal effects on Earth are exactly the same."

These lunar scarp structures were initially discovered in images photographed by several Apollo missions during the 1970s. But the LRO cameras now reveal how widespread the scarps are on the moon.

In the cosmic scheme of things, Watters wants to reassure us that there's no cause for alarm to Earthlings.

"No, absolutely not. The moon is not shrinking away. There's no fear that if you don't get out there and see the moon today, in the next cycle, it won't be there."

The complete details of Watters' study can be found in today's edition of the journal Science.

I first learned about the moon shrinking when I went MOSH in jax, its a auditorium where your seats would lay back an you were in a round room in space, It was very cool.

catfriedlegs

Chrissy8 wrote:The Incredible Shrinking MoonUpdated: 2 days 3 hours ago
.Print Text Size
Lee Speigel
Contributor

According to a recent scientific study, including images taken by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or the LRO, the lunar surface has revealed a series of geologic faults that weren't seen before.

These small faults, which are caused by internal cooling of the moon, have been discovered all over the moon, said Thomas Watters, a planetary geologist at the Center for Earth and Planetary Studies of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.

This undated image taken by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter shows fault scarps just west of the Apollo 17 landing site (arrow). The previously undetected landforms indicate that the moon is shrinking.
"We know it's shrinking by looking at these landforms called lobate scarps that kind of look like stairsteps in the landscape," Watters told AOL News. "They're caused by thrust faults, which are generated when the lunar crust material is pushed together and pushed up, forming a cliff or scarp."

What excites scientists is that the LRO camera's high-resolution images reveal details down to a half meter to 2 meters per pixel resolution, and this is how Watters and his colleagues have been able to detect the scarps all over the moon.

But the biggest discovery about these structures, Watters added, points to the fact that the moon is still active.

"These faults could be so young that they may be indicating very, very recent tectonic and, therefore, geologic activity on the moon. One of the general conceptions out there is that the moon is this geologically dead body, and that's really not the case," he said.

Exactly how much lunar shrinkage are we talking about? And since the moon is directly involved with the rising and falling of global sea levels, should we be getting into panic mode down here on Earth at the idea of a smaller moon?

"Overall, it's only about 100 meters in the past billion years, so it's not a whole lot of contraction -- it's not something you're ever going to notice from Earth," Watters said. "But because the scarps are widespread, they definitely indicate the moon's crust has been shrinking.

"The mass of the moon hasn't changed; the overall size of the moon has changed slightly and become slightly smaller. Therefore, the tidal effects on Earth are exactly the same."

These lunar scarp structures were initially discovered in images photographed by several Apollo missions during the 1970s. But the LRO cameras now reveal how widespread the scarps are on the moon.

In the cosmic scheme of things, Watters wants to reassure us that there's no cause for alarm to Earthlings.

"No, absolutely not. The moon is not shrinking away. There's no fear that if you don't get out there and see the moon today, in the next cycle, it won't be there."

The complete details of Watters' study can be found in today's edition of the journal Science.

I first learned about the moon shrinking when I went MOSH in jax, its a auditorium where your seats would lay back an you were in a round room in space, It was very cool.

Interesting. I didn't know that the moon was shrinking. I think I might have gone to that planetarium in Jax.

Two moons on 27th August 2010

27th Aug the Whole World is waiting for.............

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.
The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.
Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.

catfriedlegs

UPS wrote:

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.

I am hitting Ft Pickens for that. I will not miss it for the world.

Azadeh wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:The Incredible Shrinking MoonUpdated: 2 days 3 hours ago
.Print Text Size
Lee Speigel
Contributor

Interesting. I didn't know that the moon was shrinking. I think I might have gone to that planetarium in Jax.

Yes, thats it. An amazing place. Loved that place. Way back when I went, like 20 somthing years ago they were doing a show on the moon getting smaller. It was fascinating. Gave exampls of how it would effect earth.

see now. that sun got some competition. the moon wants a little attention LOL

Azadeh wrote:
UPS wrote:

I am hitting Ft Pickens for that. I will not miss it for the world.

oh yes. definatly something I want to see. Thanks for the heads up.

Here. I thought this would be cool since we are talking space. put this full screen and enjoy.......

http://www.snopes.com/science/astronomy/brightmars.asp I guess I got fooled by an email. oh well...

catfriedlegs

UPS wrote:http://www.snopes.com/science/astronomy/brightmars.asp I guess I got fooled by an email. oh well...

Okay that's too funny! I got fooled again. Laughing I'll go to Ft. Pickens anyways. Surprised

Good news for me.

I dont have to feel bad now when I sleep through it. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum