Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pearl Harbor

+5
Wordslinger
Sal
Markle
Joanimaroni
TEOTWAWKI
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pearl Harbor Empty Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 10:38 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Pearl Harbor Az10

2Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 10:42 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Fabulous memorial.

3Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 10:57 am

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Pearl Harbor Az10
THANK YOU!  I was wondering if anyone would remember.

For some years now I've wondered if our military would be allowed to WIN a war as we did in WWI and WWII.  By totally crushing and destroying our enemy.

4Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 11:02 am

Sal

Sal

Times have changed. 

The object of war is not to win anymore. 

The object of war now is war. 

The MIC demands to be fed continuously. 

5Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 11:07 am

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Pearl Harbor Az10
THANK YOU!  I was wondering if anyone would remember.

For some years now I've wondered if our military would be allowed to WIN a war as we did in WWI and WWII.  By totally crushing and destroying our enemy.
I agree with your perception 100%.  The main difference between WWII and ALL the other wars we've waged since 1945, is that WWII was a legitimate war to defend ourselves from real enemies who were determined and capable of destroying the U.S. A.  All the other wars were political-economic conflicts, the most of which, including the Bay of Pigs, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan were fought to control foreign nations of brown and yellow people while we angled to steal resources.  All of these latter wars were and are being fought not to win, but to establish permanent U.S. military influence and presence in regions of "our national interest."  "Our national interest" really means resources and/or people we -- the most oppressive and destructive nation on the earth since 1945 -- want to control and exploit for profit.  Our current wars aren't being fought to win, they're being fought for control and for the massive profits of our MIC.

Screw Amerika Inc!!

Last edited by Wordslinger on 12/7/2013, 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Jesus begh)

6Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 11:41 am

knothead

knothead

For some years now I've wondered if our military would be allowed to WIN a war as we did in WWI and WWII. By totally crushing and destroying our enemy.

Our nation has a poor history of policy choice in foreign involvement inevitably leading to poor outcomes but with costly and deadly consequences (blood and treasure), i.e., Viet Nam. The days of using tactics required and justified during WW II have not been duplicated and I hope we continue on a road towards more judicious use of military force. That said when the absolute national interests are at stake I agree that our military should not be held back and fight limited wars of aggression.

7Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 12:12 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Let's keep this thread as a memorial to Pearl Harbor.

8Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 12:52 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/stories/70-years-after-pearl-harbor-uss-arizona-still-weeps

This is amazing to see....after 72 years oil still seeps out from the USS Arizona.

9Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 1:47 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

It's a very solemn and moving monument.

10Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 1:57 pm

2seaoat

I remember as an 11 year old getting seasick from the tender which brought us to the memorial. I was too ill to really enjoy it as the diesel fuel from the old boat just spewed and the water was rough that day. December 7th was a big deal as a kid. It was deeply ingrained in the American psych.....to be prepared. We spent time each year in school talking about the attack. Time is moving too quick.

11Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Pearl Harbor 12/7/2013, 3:02 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

This 2011 book was an interesting read:

Pearl Harbor 9781612000107

The author is a retired Naval officer, and he wrote this from a critical perspective, explaining how the Japanese really botched the attack on Pearl Harbor. No doubt the attack was effective, as it was destructive; but the author states that it didn't really progress as the Japanese had planned and was very poorly coordinated once the attack was underway. The author also states that the Americans were not totally asleep (25% of anti-aircraft guns were nominally manned by watch-standers), and once the attack got underway, the Americans put up a rather spirited defence--more than what the Japanese expected from a surprise attack. The goal was to set the Americans back 6-months. They missed catching our aircraft carriers in port or at sea, and this was a very major strategic mistake.

The attack worked--It put the Americans on the defensive for 6-months, and then we kicked their asses badly at the Battle of Midway, and they were on the defensive after that.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum