Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pensacolas Mud Island..........Guess where it is?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Pensacola’s Mud Island
Pensacolas Mud Island..........Guess where it is?    Mud-lsland_city-hall
Eighteen months after the Vince Whibbs, Sr. Community Maritime Park opened, the city has a problem with the retention pond at the park. The liner has floated to the surface, forming a mud island.

Mark Taylor, a CMPA board member, said that it is too early to conclude the cause, but it appears it could be one of two things.

He said, “Simply the depth of the pond, elevation of the ground water, and elevation of the tidal plane are all wreaking havoc on the pond, or some kind of soil gasses are coming up that could be floating the line

2seaoat

should have been a clay liner.

cool1

cool1

according to water rising in the future you wonder why they even built there.

2seaoat

There is no water table problem. The problem is design. A clay liner would have been more expensive initially, but exactly what was going to happen to a membrane liner on the first Hurricane? A clay liner will allow gas venting and it keeps 99% of its integrity and does well with a hurricane if a portion of the retention pond was damaged.

Just another example of "Value" engineering at Stooderville. The pond was a change from the original design. Ask about the effects of "Value" engineering on the stadium sprinkler system.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

How bout mud wrasling?

Water is nasty......  Sewage flowed into the pond during the opening day rains.  Signs say do not be in contact with the water...

2seaoat

I think the proper design for the pond would have been deeper excavation and clay lining. This will probably have to be done in the future, but I still argue that retention can be below a pier precast parking structure and that the time to engineer the same is when the build out of the leaseholds needs additional parking structure.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Mr Ichi wrote:Water is nasty......  Sewage flowed into the pond during the opening day rains.  Signs say do not be in contact with the water...
Dammit!!!!!!!!!

2seaoat wrote:I think the proper design for the pond would have been deeper excavation and clay lining.   This will probably have to be done in the future, but I still argue that retention can be below a pier precast parking structure and that the time to engineer the same is when the build out of the leaseholds needs additional parking structure.
In the original plans there was to be a different system installed and it would have allowed parking. But they ran out of money when they increased the seating of the stadium. It is on record where they bragged about saving 500,000 with the retention pond concept. Now it has come to bite them in the ass. Only one of the flaws that will soon rear it ugly head.

2seaoat

It is one of those problems in my opinion which can be addressed and fixed as they lease the development lots and in the interim it might be unsightly but it really has no substantive loss of function.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum