Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So now we're staying in Afghanistan until 2024 .. or maybe forever. So who do you trust?

+8
ZVUGKTUBM
talknstang
Markle
2seaoat
stormwatch89
TEOTWAWKI
Hospital Bob
Wordslinger
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Joanimaroni wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:So, how many troops did Clinton send into Iraq, I forget?
Over 15,000.

President Clinton deployed more than 15,000 very special U.S. forces to the Persian Gulf region.
The phrase "very special forces" was a tip off Joani. I think it is just possible that you are referring to this article?…by the ONION, LOL. The short transport plane! Too funny!!!!! Read the whole article. It is hilarious.

Clinton Deploys Very Special Forces To Iraq
NEWS • Politics • Middle East • Disabilities • Clinton Administration • ISSUE 35•02 • Jan 20, 1999
Facebook1.2K
Twitter47
Google Plus7
WASHINGTON, DC—Preparing for another possible showdown with Iraq, President Clinton deployed more than 15,000 very special U.S. forces to the Persian Gulf region Tuesday.

Sgt. Tommy Dolber, who loves baseball and rollerskating, leads a group of very special forces in maneuvers near the Iraq-Kuwait border.

Clinton said the objective of the mission, dubbed Operation Great Job!, is twofold: to keep pressure on Saddam Hussein to permit the return of U.N. weapons inspectors, and to provide America's very special forces with a positive, rewarding, esteem-building experience.

"With Operation Great Job!, we send the message loud and clear to Saddam Hussein that his open defiance of the United Nations and international law will not be tolerated," Clinton said. "We also send the equally important message to our own troops that what's important is not whether you defeat the enemy, but that you try your best and have fun."

Added Clinton: "Hooray, U.S. troops!"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/clinton-deploys-very-special-forces-to-iraq,645/
http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=41766

Do you really think we conducted precision air strikes, including the tomahawk missile, in Iraq without special forces on the ground?
[color:7ef2=#3366cc]I think air strikes are air strikes. And just for entertainment I'll ask why we'd send even special troops into an area that we were bombing? Doesn't make sense. Maybe in 50 years or when someone leaks secret information we'll learn that there were 25 special forces troops on the ground during the air strikes but until then I'll just stick with "no troops on the ground".

BTW where did you get that imaginary 15,000 number? Are you saying he sent in 15,000 troops and we just don't know about it?
I said, Clinton sent MORE than 15,000 troops. They were deployed to the Persian Gulf.

You are absolutely correct regarding your military stategy question....... And just for entertainment I'll ask why we'd send even special troops into an area that we were bombing?.

Air strikes are never ever ever conducted with troops on the ground. Rolling Eyes  The US never ever ever has intelligence teams gathering information in order to carry out precision air strikes........They just guess where the targets are.  
The Persian Gulf is a region. Iraq is in the region but is not the entire region. Having troops on ships or neighboring countries is not the same as having them in Iraq.

So now you're saying Clinton sent MORE than 15,000 into the country of Iraq or are you trying to stretch that position by saying he had all those troops on ships nearby and that is the same thing as an invasion?

I think we have adequate surveillance from satellites to perform air strikes without units on the ground calling in air strikes but hey, I still want to know where that 15,000 number came from that you cited originally or don't you want to admit that you were fooled by an Onion article? Don't feel bad it wouldn't be the first time someone was fooled. They do a great job.
The Onion quoted over 15,000....the other source I gave you was from the DOD. They listed over 23,000 being deployed.

http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=41766

I appreciate you letting me know the difference between the Persian Gulf region and the country of Iraq.

Are you dening special intel troops were on the ground, in Iraq?  If so, can you provide a link to prove your statement, unless of course you are just making an assumption?
The Onion is not a news source. It is a comedy piece, satire, not true stuff, a joke.

I am unable to prove the presence of US troops on the ground in Iraq.

I guess I wasn't being clear enough? I say again, Iraq is not the same as the Gulf. Your DOD article states the troops were deployed to the Gulf. Can you show me where they set foot on Iraqi soil or are you just assuming they did so because of the threatening troop buildup?

More than 23,500 U.S. soldiers, sailors and Marines, along with 170 U.S. aircraft and 23 warships currently stand ready in the Gulf. Two days before Iraq backed down, Clinton deployed another 3,000 troops, an air expeditionary force with 84 combat and 45 support aircraft, more Patriot missile units, and a light infantry battalion to the region.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

GEEZE you guys can't clean up your posting any better than that ?...LAZY BUNCH HERE !... cut what you want to address and post that then answer , it doesn't make a post that is miles long.....

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

TEOTWAWKI wrote:GEEZE you guys can't clean up your posting any better than that ?...LAZY BUNCH HERE !... cut what you want to address and post that then answer , it doesn't make a post that is miles long.....
Good point, sorry. Maybe 144 characters like Twitter? Just kidding!!!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

The Onion is not a news source. It is a comedy piece, satire, not true stuff, a joke.

I guess I wasn't being clear enough? I say again, Iraq is not the same as the Gulf. Your DOD article states the troops were deployed to the Gulf. Can you show me where they set foot on Iraqi soil or are you just assuming they did so because of the threatening troop buildup?

More than 23,500 U.S. soldiers, sailors and Marines, along with 170 U.S. aircraft and 23 warships currently stand ready in the Gulf. Two days before Iraq backed down, Clinton deployed another 3,000 troops, an air expeditionary force with 84 combat and 45 support aircraft, more Patriot missile units, and a light infantry battalion to the region.

That damn Onion......they were off by more than 8,000. Is the DOD source satire as well?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Joanimaroni wrote:The Onion is not a news source. It is a comedy piece, satire, not true stuff, a joke.

That damn Onion......they were off by more than 8,000. Is the DOD source satire as well?
Congratulations! You have, I guess proven to your satisfaction that Iraq is the same as the Gulf region and troops on stand by are the same as troops on the ground in a nearby country. Just wonderful.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The iraq invasion and occupation was one of the worst U.S. Government decisions in the country's history.
It was Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and the neocons who ordered it.
But most of the high profile democrat politicians supported it.
So they were all "the deciders" as that hayseed president would put it.

They all share in the blame. That's why I have no use for the politicians of either political party.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

othershoe1030 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:The Onion is not a news source. It is a comedy piece, satire, not true stuff, a joke.

Congratulations! You have, I guess proven to your satisfaction that Iraq is the same as the Gulf region and troops on stand by are the same as troops on the ground in a nearby country. Just wonderful.

How snarky.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I remember clinton sending 4-5 thousand into kuwait as well... Saddam kept thumbing his nose at the inspections and staging troops near their border. He would probably still be in power today had he complied with the UN terms to which he agreed.
The Bushistas were itching for the smallest excuse to depose Saddam. They (the neocons) wrote about it in their 2000 White Paper, before they ever came to power. This was the same paper where they openly opined about a direct attack on the United States (the socalled "New Pearl Harbor), which would be used to justify the excuse for their invasion of Iraq.
I wasn't rationalizing the invasion of iraq... I didn't agree with the decision. Just stating the real history.

These people can scream all they want.

FACTS ARE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> it was CLINTON that made it THE LAW to REMOVE SADAM.

bush just made clintons law come true.

LIVE WITH IT>

YOU OWN IT!

LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum