Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

This Could Be the Beginning of the End of Football as We Know It

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

According to data provided to "Outside the Lines," Pop Warner lost 23,612 players, thought to be the largest two-year decline since the organization began keeping statistics decades ago. Consistent annual growth led to a record 248,899 players participating in Pop Warner in 2010; that figure fell to 225,287 by the 2012 season.

Pop Warner officials said they believe several factors played a role in the decline, including the trend of youngsters focusing on one sport. But the organization's chief medical officer, Dr. Julian Bailes, cited concerns about head injuries as "the No. 1 cause."

The statistics, which have not been previously disclosed, are consistent with declining participation rates reported in youth football across the country. USA Football, a national governing body partially funded by the NFL, said participation among players ages 6 to 14 fell from 3 million to 2.8 million in 2011, a 6.7 percent decline.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/popwarner/pop-warner-youth-football-participation-drops-nfl-concussion-crisis-seen-causal-factor

It won't happen fast, but this is definitely a trend.

My son plays baseball, basketball, and runs track.

He has never shown an interest in playing tackle football, and that pleases me because I would have serious reservations about letting him do so.

I'm glad your son doesn't play football... I try to discourage any kids I talk to. A good hit is like a wreck... I got knocked out once.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I can tell you if it's going to rain from a football injury acquired in 1970...stinkin Football..what was I thinking.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:According to data provided to "Outside the Lines," Pop Warner lost 23,612 players, thought to be the largest two-year decline since the organization began keeping statistics decades ago. Consistent annual growth led to a record 248,899 players participating in Pop Warner in 2010; that figure fell to 225,287 by the 2012 season.

Pop Warner officials said they believe several factors played a role in the decline, including the trend of youngsters focusing on one sport. But the organization's chief medical officer, Dr. Julian Bailes, cited concerns about head injuries as "the No. 1 cause."

The statistics, which have not been previously disclosed, are consistent with declining participation rates reported in youth football across the country. USA Football, a national governing body partially funded by the NFL, said participation among players ages 6 to 14 fell from 3 million to 2.8 million in 2011, a 6.7 percent decline.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/popwarner/pop-warner-youth-football-participation-drops-nfl-concussion-crisis-seen-causal-factor

He has never shown an interest in playing tackle football, and that pleases me because I would have serious reservations about letting him do so.
I wouldn't trust the coaches to protect a child during football games.

I also wonder about Winston Jameis. He plays baseball and has a great pitching arm...he throws the ball 95 mph. Why fooball? A pro-baseball player makes millions with fewer chance of severe crippling bodily injury.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Joanimaroni wrote:
Sal wrote:According to data provided to "Outside the Lines," Pop Warner lost 23,612 players, thought to be the largest two-year decline since the organization began keeping statistics decades ago. Consistent annual growth led to a record 248,899 players participating in Pop Warner in 2010; that figure fell to 225,287 by the 2012 season.

I also wonder about Winston Jameis. He plays baseball and has a great pitching arm...he throws the ball 95 mph. Why fooball? A pro-baseball player makes millions with fewer chance of severe crippling bodily injury.
Not everyone is built for Baseball....or basketball ...or football....

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Not everyone is built for Baseball....or basketball ...or football....
Winston plays basebll for FSU....of course Bobby Bowden question Jimbo about Winston continuing to play baseball.

2seaoat

Football head injuries and the speed and size of players today is not the same game which was rugby like without the freaks of nature. I have met some pro athletes and in football and basketball.....freakish. Yet, I broke three toes in football....going out of bounds to intercept a pass and hit a damn telephone pole(I did not drop the ball), and broke both radi in my right arm in a basketball game. Spikes at home while catching with a chip fracture of the ankle. So I was injured in three sports, but when I tripped in practice and literally crushed the running back as I fell forward and made helmet to helmet contact and as I was coming to my senses, all I could hear was coaches yelling.....who made that hit.....who made that hit.......ohhhhh Seaoat....like they were disappointed.

After college we would play tackle football in a park without uniforms. The heads were never the lead in the tackle, and tackles were waist and up....more like wrestling the runner down. We would have almost the entire police department on duty in the city and county park their patrol cars and watch us kill each other. Bloody noses, sore bodies, but zero serious injuries for years until a kidney was damaged which slowed down the play. When kids played football in a sandlot it had a future, but when it became specialized, freakish, and dangerous....well the result is obvious.....it is going to be like gladiators in the future.....folks who are thrown into the system for some red meat for the lions.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Joanimaroni wrote:

In addition to being a good pitcher, Winston is also a fantastic right fielder. He has a cannon for an arm from deep RF to third base or home plate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum