Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thanksgiving

+10
cool1
Markle
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
Ghost Rider
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
Nekochan
Sal
Joanimaroni
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 10:18 pm

Markle

Markle

Ghost Rider wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:And, the day after Thanksgiving, for breakfast I will have everything I ate the day before during the main meal, and I will do the same for dinner.

Oh, and the smells that waft through the house as the turkey is cooking...... Dang, Joanie, I am glad you started this thread. I wasn't thinking much about Thanksgiving before I read this thread, but now I am looking forward to it!
When I do cook a turkey I always deep fry it. I  like it oven baked, but like deep fried a bit more.
We like the fried turkey....but it is missing the giblet gravy.
The gravy can be made separately. That is what we do.
Yeah...but you don't have all the good scrapings in the bottom of the roasting pan.

27Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 10:20 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Markle wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:And, the day after Thanksgiving, for breakfast I will have everything I ate the day before during the main meal, and I will do the same for dinner.

Oh, and the smells that waft through the house as the turkey is cooking...... Dang, Joanie, I am glad you started this thread. I wasn't thinking much about Thanksgiving before I read this thread, but now I am looking forward to it!
When I do cook a turkey I always deep fry it. I  like it oven baked, but like deep fried a bit more.
We like the fried turkey....but it is missing the giblet gravy.
The gravy can be made separately. That is what we do.
Yeah...but you don't have all the good scrapings in the bottom of the roasting pan.

cheers 

28Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 10:21 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

I do things for the community, I start by collecting shopping carts from bums and return them to the rightful owners. walmart, target, publix....the people who bought them and had them stolen by criminals.

29Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 10:46 pm

Sal

Sal

Have y'all ever brined a turkey?

Again, kinda bizarre, but you end up with an incredibly juicy and tasty turkey. 

30Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 11:03 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:Have y'all ever brined a turkey?

Again, kinda bizarre, but you end up with an incredibly juicy and tasty turkey. 
My cousin does but I never have.

31Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/12/2013, 11:04 am

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Markle wrote:
That's OK also, because we do not eat the liver, heart, gizzard, and neck. So instead, I make my gravy from broth forgoing the giblets.

32Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/12/2013, 11:36 am

cool1

cool1

gulfbeachbandit wrote:I do things for the community,  I start by collecting shopping carts from bums and return them to the rightful owners.   walmart, target, publix....the people who bought them and had them stolen by criminals.
So true!  Laughing

33Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/12/2013, 3:20 pm

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:That heavenly oyster dressing my aunt made in Panama City at Thanksgiving.
And the rest of the food.  But it was the family more than the food.  
I wish I could go back.
Bob, you can come over here, I think I'll make frrzinglamish with pilchrod dressing and basted potzreebies if I can find any of' em. Fermin salad and wastomug for dessert.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

34Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/12/2013, 4:02 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Ghost Rider wrote:
Markle wrote:
That's OK also, because we do not eat the liver, heart, gizzard, and neck. So instead, I make my gravy from broth forgoing the giblets.
I don't eat giblets either. Yecchh.... I also like plain old gravy.....

One year, I accidentally forgot to remove the plastic bag holding the neck, heart, liver, and gizzard from the neck cavity of the turkey. The bag got roasted with the rest of the stuffed turkey, LOL.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

35Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/12/2013, 4:07 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Markle wrote:
I don't eat giblets either. Yecchh.... I also like plain old gravy.....

One year, I accidentally forgot to remove the plastic bag holding the neck, heart, liver, and gizzard from the neck cavity of the turkey. The bag got roasted with the rest of the stuffed turkey, LOL.
I cook the neck, liver, gizzards, and heart in chicken broth with a stalk of celery. I do not use the liver in the gravy and I cut the gizzards very fine and shred the meat from the neck. I love the heart....added to the gravy it is tasty.

36Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/12/2013, 9:45 pm

always the same and always look forward to it.

turkey, ham, dressing,sweet potatos, homemade mac n cheese, home made potato salad, greens, rolls,cranberry, pumkin pie, chocolate cake and vodka. Very Happy 

cant wait.. yum yum

Good night for now....

37Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/12/2013, 11:18 pm

Sal

Sal

cool1 wrote:
gulfbeachbandit wrote:I do things for the community,  I start by collecting shopping carts from bums and return them to the rightful owners.   walmart, target, publix....the people who bought them and had them stolen by criminals.
So true!  Laughing
Rolling Eyes

38Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/13/2013, 12:11 pm

Jake92

An uncle in Ocala used to dig a hole 5' deep and about 5' across and fill it with oak and other types of wood.. (NO treated lumber) He would light it on fire first thing in the morning and start wrapping a 22 pound turkey in 6-8 layers of aluminum foil in alternating directions, then tie stiff wire around it with a few loops for grabbing it with a steel rake.. After the fire burned down to very hot red coals, he lowered the turkey into the coals and turned it occasionally with the rake, using the loops.. After 45 minutes, it was finished, basically steamed in it's own juices along with a stick of butter and spices.. It was the best turkey I've ever had.....

39Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/13/2013, 12:26 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Jake92 wrote:An uncle in Ocala used to dig a hole 5' deep and about 5' across and fill it with oak and other types of wood..  (NO treated lumber)  He would light it on fire first thing in the morning and start wrapping a 22 pound turkey in 6-8 layers of aluminum foil in alternating directions, then tie stiff wire around it with a few loops for grabbing it with a steel rake..  After the fire burned down to very hot red coals, he lowered the turkey into the coals and turned it occasionally with the rake, using the loops..  After 45 minutes, it was finished, basically steamed in it's own juices along with a stick of butter and spices..  It was the best turkey I've ever had.....
45 minutes? wow.

I still like to cook mine inside.

40Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/13/2013, 12:40 pm

Jake92

YES, 45 minutes.. The coals are very very hot.....

41Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/13/2013, 10:35 pm

I like thanksgiving because it reminds me about pumpkin pies.

I love pumpkin pies

42Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/13/2013, 11:16 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

A friend of ours is terrific at brining turkeys, and then he puts it in the smoker. Divinely moist.

We do turkey and I make a dressing with sourdough bread instead of regular bread. I also make a cranberry relish with raw cranberries done up in the blender with horseradish and some sour cream. It's like scotch I guess, possibly an acquired taste? It really has a nice kick to it. Served chilled.

43Thanksgiving - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/13/2013, 11:21 pm

I am going to Yellas house if I can wrangle a invite. Texas style Cooking..

Bob, you can come over here, I think I'll make frrzinglamish with pilchrod dressing and basted potzreebies if I can find any of' em. Fermin salad and wastomug for dessert.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum